Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>T/S % Still Deductible Under New Tax Guidelines?
Natnat88 07:45 PM 05-16-2019
So after filing my 2018 taxes I actually faired well. The CPA informed me that I could no longer claim the T/S or any home utilities unless it was directly used ( EX: TV/internet). All other 100% daycare items were still good. CPA also told me to have the daycare pay monthly rent back to myself to make up for the loss in the T/S. Was trying to find literature on this change, but can't. Can anyone shed light on this?
TomCopeland 10:07 AM 05-17-2019
Originally Posted by Natnat88:
So after filing my 2018 taxes I actually faired well. The CPA informed me that I could no longer claim the T/S or any home utilities unless it was directly used ( EX: TV/internet). All other 100% daycare items were still good. CPA also told me to have the daycare pay monthly rent back to myself to make up for the loss in the T/S. Was trying to find literature on this change, but can't. Can anyone shed light on this?
The new tax laws make no changes in your ability to use your time-space% on house expenses (property taxes, mortgage interest, house insurance, utilities, house repairs and house depreciation). There is no rule that says you can't claim utilities or any other house expense unless you use them 100% for your business. That is crazy. Maybe he/she is thinking that many providers no longer itemize their taxes, but that doesn't affect your ability to deduct these expenses on Form 8829. Ask him/her for something in writing that support his position. No, you can't pay rent to yourself and deduct this as a business expense unless you are a corporation or partnership. As a self employer business you are the owner of the business. Ask your CPA to clarify what she is saying because she is wrong.
Mom2Two 11:32 AM 05-17-2019
Originally Posted by TomCopeland:
The new tax laws make no changes in your ability to use your time-space% on house expenses (property taxes, mortgage interest, house insurance, utilities, house repairs and house depreciation). There is no rule that says you can't claim utilities or any other house expense unless you use them 100% for your business. That is crazy. Maybe he/she is thinking that many providers no longer itemize their taxes, but that doesn't affect your ability to deduct these expenses on Form 8829. Ask him/her for something in writing that support his position. No, you can't pay rent to yourself and deduct this as a business expense unless you are a corporation or partnership. As a self employer business you are the owner of the business. Ask your CPA to clarify what she is saying because she is wrong.
It's always so good to read Tom's answers! Thank you, Tom!
Natnat88 11:59 AM 05-18-2019
Thanks so much for the clarification and will definitely be scheduling another meeting to get this straightened out.
Tags:deduction - utilities, time space percentage
Reply Up