Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Buying Bulk/Time and Money Saving
Jo123ABC 12:09 PM 05-21-2019
Does anyone have suggestions on where you like to buy bulk? I live in a small town with a Walmart so I buy most of my stuff there but I'd really like to have some things just shipped to me in bulk if I can. My husband works outside all day so I want to buy poweraid and water for him. I also have a group of kids that eat like crazy right now so crackers, snacks, noodles, canned vegies, etc in bulk would save me a few trips to the store. Also, we go through tons of klenex, toilet paper, paper towels, paper plates, laundry and dish detergent, sunscreen, etc. My cart is literally overflowing every week when I pick up groceries and I spend so much money! I'd love your ideas on money/time saving tips you ladies and gentlemen might have!
Baby Beluga 12:55 PM 05-21-2019
Do you have a local grocery store, beside Walmart?

I buy a lot in bulk and use based on a rotating schedule. I have 2 pantries, 2 full size fridges/freezers and a mini fridge. In all fairness my own family goes through a LOT of fresh produce, plus I pack DD's lunches, plus DC meals/snacks and my own families meals/snacks.

My shopping is a bit all over the place though:

Local grocery store (Kroger owned store) I coupon and buy paper products, personal products and cleaning supplies here when on sale. So toiler paper, paper towels, shaving cream, toilet bowl cleaner, dawn dish soap, etc.

They also have rotating sales on their organic line of products and I stock up when those are on sale. Organic cereal, organic canned beans and veggies, sauces, etc. Stuff that comes in handy when I don't want to go to the store or don't have time to soak and make beans from scratch.

I also get fresh produce and chicken from the butcher here. Those obviously are not bulk, but I do buy extra chicken, have the butcher trim, season and package it and toss it in the freezer so I have it for when I can't or don't want to go to the store.

Sprouts I get fresh produce here too, specialty foods our local grocery store does not carry (food allergies) oatmeal and sometimes nuts. Oatmeal here is expensive here and I make it at least 3 times a week for breakfast. Sprouts puts their oats on sale for 40 cents/lb. When they do that I buy in bulk and can the rest to last until the next sale.

Costco - Mostly bottled water, ground turkey (it's cheaper than any grocery store here, but you have to buy it in bulk) diapers for my little guy, wipes for my own family and DC, vitamins, dish washer detergent and laundry detergent. Costco also has good sales on cleaning supplies a couple times a year. Swiffer pads, glass cleaner, Clorox wipes, etc. I also get packaged convenience foods here (individual organic guacamole, individual chicken salad, etc) they are easy to freeze and pull put one at a time as needed. It's a little more pricey up front, but I figure less waste means more money saved in the long run. I have purchased bulk crackers, granola bars, and other packaged snack foods from Costco but truthfully you will likely spend less if you buy them on sale at the local grocery store.

This is all to say - I live in a large area, so my way of shopping might not work for your area Does the closest Costco ship to you? What about Amazon pantry? Do any of the local grocery stores deliver to your home? Or instacart maybe? Those are all potential options as well
Michael 01:59 PM 05-21-2019
Here's another threads on buying in bulk: https://www.daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=56340
Mom2Two 02:14 PM 05-21-2019
I had a brilliant (not really) idea once to order a case of disposable gloves on Amazon, thinking that surely I could find them for less than what I pay for the Walmart Equate brand. But nope, I couldn't find a good deal.
284878 03:45 AM 05-22-2019
Costco- you can have a membership and shop online even if you don't have a store near you.

BJ warehouse too

Amazon Prime or open a second account as Amazon business. As a business account you get discounts on stuff used for businesses. (But Amazon business prime is $300 so create a new account don't switch your personal)

Staples or other office supply stores sell in bulk and will ship to you. .

There is a restaurant supply store near me that called Gordon Food Service, there stores are open to the public but I have a business account with them. They don't deliver to me but they do sell in bulk and I can order online and have my order ready for pickup when I get there. Maybe find out what supply store is near you.

There are other business supply stores online that are reasonably priced.
Jo123ABC 11:51 AM 05-22-2019
I tried having our local grocery store (only 1 other than Walmart) deliver milk, water, and a few odds and ends for a while but the delivery person started dropping off nearly expired milk at full price (sometimes it expired the following day and I purchased 6 gallons) and it was more expensive than Walmart so I gave that up. Now I just make the extra trip for milk and water. I'll check into amazon prime pantry again. I buy ground beef in bulk from a neighboring town 20 minutes away because I can't stomach the Walmart stuff. The do good sales and it's fresh. I wish my daycare license would allow our own beef (husband has cattle) but nope!

On a different note, I received a newsletter in the mail from the food program today saying popcorn is now considered a whole grain! I haven't been able to be reimbursed for it at all in the past which really annoyed me. Now it's considered good for you.
Tags:buying in bulk, milk
Reply Up