Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Temperature Question
Msdunny 08:27 AM 05-23-2019
I have a DCB who came with a cold on Monday, obviously feeling puny. Mom kept him home Tues and We’d. He’s here today, still sick, but with cold symptoms. I just took his temperature because he feels clammy, and it registered 95.4. I tried the other kids and got normal temps. Is this normal? Questionable? I don’t think I’ve ever seen a temperature register this low. Could this be because of having had Tylenol?
springv 09:00 AM 05-23-2019
I would contact the parents or guardians and have them come and get him and tell them that he is not allowed to come back for 24-48 hours or until his symptoms have went away. It sounds like they gave him tylenol before they dropped him off this morning and it's starting to wear off, if you want to you can even have them get a note from the doctor stating that his symptoms are not contagious. We've had children in our center who have been sick and they drop them off but after nap their temp has went up and when they come to get their child, they claim that they've took them to the doctor and they say it's nothing or they've claimed that they were taking them the following day
Blackcat31 09:06 AM 05-23-2019
Originally Posted by Msdunny:
I have a DCB who came with a cold on Monday, obviously feeling puny. Mom kept him home Tues and We’d. He’s here today, still sick, but with cold symptoms. I just took his temperature because he feels clammy, and it registered 95.4. I tried the other kids and got normal temps. Is this normal? Questionable? I don’t think I’ve ever seen a temperature register this low. Could this be because of having had Tylenol?
I don't know BUT any time a child isn't acting normal, they go/stay home. I am not a doctor and don't like being put in the position of wondering if something is okay or not.

What type of thermometer are you using?
Msdunny 10:16 AM 05-23-2019
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I don't know BUT any time a child isn't acting normal, they go/stay home. I am not a doctor and don't like being put in the position of wondering if something is okay or not.

It is an in-ear. I took the temp. again about a half an hour later, and it was 97.1.
Snowmom 10:20 AM 05-23-2019
I would personally send him home.

He's NOT at a normal temp, so should be checked out by a doctor. I don't think I've ever seen a child with that low of a temp.
littlefriends 10:38 AM 05-23-2019
Originally Posted by Snowmom:
I would personally send him home.

He's NOT at a normal temp, so should be checked out by a doctor. I don't think I've ever seen a child with that low of a temp.

Mom2Two 12:22 PM 05-23-2019
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

If he’s acting sick then he’s too sick to be there, imo.
Msdunny 05:45 AM 05-24-2019
Thanks for the replies. I read most of them during naptime, and then his mom came for an early pickup right after he got up, so I didn't send home. I mentioned the low temp to mom and she said he always runs low. ??? So how am I supposed to know what a fever consists of?

I am going to take his temperature every morning for a while to get an average and then keep that on record. Has anyone else ever done this?

On another note, does anyone take temps every morning for every child? Kind of a well-child check up every morning?
Cat Herder 07:03 AM 05-24-2019
Originally Posted by Msdunny:
On another note, does anyone take temps every morning for every child? Kind of a well-child check up every morning?
We are supposed to do a quick wellness scan upon arrival.

It can be helpful during flu season, rash of unknown origin and to weed out dope and drops.

TMI but I check temps whenever their bm's have that sick/sweet smell of motrin in the morning. If it is low, their eyes are dull and their skin is pale I ask leading questions until the parent generally outs themselves. Dope and drop is immediate termination, here.
Tags:drug and drop, fever - policy, sent home - sickness, temporal thermometer, thermometer
Reply Up