Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Newly Creditable Foods
Cat Herder 04:44 AM 05-24-2019
Newly Creditable Foods
The USDA has announced that the following foods are now creditable under the CACFP:

Hominy
Popcorn
Dried Meat Products
Surimi Seafood
Tempeh
Coconut

DaveA 05:25 AM 05-24-2019
I'm not on the food program so I didn't know Surimi wasn't approved. My current DCKs love California Rolls.

Glad people are getting more options.
Cat Herder 05:34 AM 05-24-2019
Originally Posted by DaveA:
I'm not on the food program so I didn't know Surimi wasn't approved. My current DCKs love California Rolls.

Glad people are getting more options.
I am a bit excited about the coconut and dried meats.

Fresh coconut is fun for the kids in the summer. A snack you get to beat with a hammer. What could be better?

And beef jerky is great on the playground with trail mix, easy transport/easy cleanup.
springv 09:22 AM 05-24-2019
Do you have a link for this?
Cat Herder 09:28 AM 05-24-2019
Originally Posted by springvalley112:
Do you have a link for this?
Sure do.

https://www.fns.usda.gov/school-meal...hild-nutrition

https://www.fns.usda.gov/school-meal...ition-programs

Gemma 10:00 AM 05-24-2019
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Newly Creditable Foods
The USDA has announced that the following foods are now creditable under the CACFP:

Hominy
Popcorn
Dried Meat Products
Surimi Seafood
Tempeh
Coconut

I know popcorn and coconut (I would never serve either for fear of chocking) I have no idea what the rest of them things even are ..I feel so uneducated!
hwichlaz 12:13 PM 05-24-2019
Originally Posted by Gemma:
I know popcorn and coconut (I would never serve either for fear of chocking) I have no idea what the rest of them things even are ..I feel so uneducated!
How would you serve coconut that made it a choking hazard?
Mom2Two 12:26 PM 05-24-2019
I'm happy about popcorn! I'm assuming it's a grain for snack time. ???
Pestle 01:08 PM 05-24-2019
A third of the items on that list are ethnic foods that haven't yet fully made it into the mainstream. But which are very common and useful where they are popular. I wonder if the slowness to approve them came from being unfamiliar and uncomfortable with them. Or if it has more to do with changing views of grain and fatty foods.
AmyKidsCo 01:39 PM 05-24-2019
I'm super excited about popcorn! It's one of my favorite suppers.
Cat Herder 01:43 PM 05-24-2019
Originally Posted by Mom2Two:
I'm happy about popcorn! I'm assuming it's a grain for snack time. ???
It is a whole grain.

Unless it is microwaved, then it is junk food (high-fat oil and flavoring).

Don't shoot the messenger.

Air popped is preferred. Here, 3 and up only, but still a win. States each have a little to say about everything, ya know.
Cat Herder 01:54 PM 05-24-2019
I've been serving hominy the entire time I have been open. I always listed it under hot cereal. Grits. How can you go for a week without them in the south?
springv 04:04 PM 05-24-2019
If you dont feel comfortable serving popcorn for afternoon snack, you can purchase popcorn without the kernels. I personally enjoy it myself, our old director at our daycare got me eating it and it is delicious.
Jo123ABC 10:22 AM 05-25-2019
Yay to popcorn! My kiddos love popcorn! I've never tried fresh coconut myself. They might like that too. I never realized summer sausage was not allowed. We have it for snack sometimes but we always have crackers and milk with it so we meet our requirements that way. Now I need to look for one with a CN label
Meeko 05:50 PM 05-25-2019
Grits. Kinda like wallpaper paste...but less flavorful.....

Gemma 10:48 AM 05-28-2019
Originally Posted by hwichlaz:
How would you serve coconut that made it a choking hazard?
I never served it!
Maybe I'm overprotective, but I think the texture of coconut itself is too hard and chewy for the young kids in my group,
hwichlaz 01:01 PM 05-28-2019
I never served it!
Maybe I'm overprotective, but I think the texture of coconut itself is too hard and chewy for the young kids in my group,
dried coconut is hard and chewy, fresh is pretty soft. Like an under ripe mango.
Pestle 01:39 PM 05-28-2019
Originally Posted by Meeko:
Grits. Kinda like wallpaper paste...but less flavorful.....
WHAT

en garde!

Seriously. Grits, like baked potatoes, are a medium for cheese, salt, butter, and bacon. CLEARLY.
Blackcat31 07:08 AM 05-29-2019
I was reading the list and thought the same thing.

I do know what hominy is though but being from the north it is not something served here.

As for the kernel free pop corn....is that even real popcorn?

One of my DCD's is a driver for a potato chip company ....Old Dutch...I think they are regional and not known across the US but I don't know....anyways he brings us huge boxes of chips and pretzels and pop corn (cheese popcorn YUM!!) and all sorts of yummies!

Every time he's even a half a minute late, he comes with a family size bag of cheese popcorn in hand!
Rockgirl 01:49 PM 06-03-2019
I looked for popcorn in my kidkare menu today, and didn’t see it there yet. Has this gone into effect yet?
Tags:meal planning, meals - cold, meals provided, meals served, meals spreadsheet, usda, usda food program
Reply Up