Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Babying Preschoolers
Flowerchild 10:06 AM 05-30-2019
Should 3 and 4 year olds put their own sheet on their mat? I took a day off for appts and thats what my asst director told me. That ive got the kids spoiled. Is the mat thing that big of a deal? She dislocated her shoulder and was in my room as a sub. But it hurt because I sometimes feel unappreciated for what I do. My question is, what technically is a preschoolers job? What should they be doing in their own?
Flowerchild 10:14 AM 05-30-2019
I know I sound crazy. I just wanted others opinions on that. It came out of nowhere.
Ariana 10:18 AM 05-30-2019
When I worked at a centre there were teachers that would baby the kids and it would drive me crazy! Haha. Everyone has their own way of being and the reality is that not everyone has to be the same. Everyone has their unique ideas on how to do things. I would just laugh it off and try not to take offence. If you think there is some truth to what she is saying then take it as constructive criticism!
Flowerchild 10:25 AM 05-30-2019
I just don't know. I didn't think I was.
Flowerchild 10:28 AM 05-30-2019
Originally Posted by Ariana:
When I worked at a centre there were teachers that would baby the kids and it would drive me crazy! Haha. Everyone has their own way of being and the reality is that not everyone has to be the same. Everyone has their unique ideas on how to do things. I would just laugh it off and try not to take offence. If you think there is some truth to what she is saying then take it as constructive criticism!
What exactly is babying them?
Ariana 11:47 AM 05-30-2019
Originally Posted by Flowerchild:
What exactly is babying them?
Doing everything for them and not teaching them any skills. Even to get them to attempt to try to do something themselves. So for example an almost two year old in my home has to attempt to put on their outdoor clothes, then I will help if needed. The more they attempt to do things on their own the better they get at independent skills.
Bluemoon5 03:04 PM 05-30-2019
At my center, yes, four year olds put their own sheets on their mats. After nap, they take the sheets off and put them in their cubbies, then put their mats away. The younger threes at least try to put their sheets on. By the older threes room they are mostly doing it themselves. The teachers of course will help if needed, but especially the older threes and the fours need to really try. That's how it works at my center, because that's what works for those rooms.
Josiegirl 03:20 AM 05-31-2019
I had a 2 1/2 yo who did or at least tried to do most everything, very independent little thing. Then the just barely 2 yo wouldn't even try. He'd refuse. By 3 and definitely 4, I'd think they could handle something like that. I know many times it's simply easier to do it yourself, but in the end, it's much more beneficial to teach them and allowing them their mistakes/successes to build their independence and self-esteem.

One of my former dcds is a teacher, 4th IIRC, and he told me once there are some kids that age who couldn't yet tie their shoes. In this age of rush rush rush, it doesn't surprise me but saddens me.
knoxmomof2 06:52 AM 05-31-2019
I think she could've said it more tactfully, but sure you could have them try. It is good to have them do as much as they can themselves. It's good for their self confidence and it makes your job easier honestly. That's a benefit with the older littles--they are far more independent and just require supervision and instruction instead of so much hands on care.

Watch for other areas where maybe they can try to do other things themselves. It may take a bit of learning but you can work on one task at a time. You'll be glad you did!
Mom2Two 11:53 AM 05-31-2019
I'd probably want to teach them to do it just to make less work for myself. Maybe some of the 3 yo kids would have a bit of a hard time, but the 4 yo kids should be able to do it.

Also, maybe you could find a book on good communication in the work place and share some of YOUR insights with the assistant director.
hwichlaz 10:58 AM 06-03-2019
Some can, some can't quite get it. The ones that can, help those that can't.
Tags:parenting styles, preschoolers, preschoolers in diapers
Reply Up