Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>No to Cloth Diapers
Unregistered 12:02 PM 06-18-2019
How to nicely let a client know that we don't cloth diaper?

Little one arrived wearing a cd today and a bag of them not stuffed or ready to use.

also the diaper leaked through to baby's clothes

We have never cloth diapered and have no idea even where to begin?!? Does the wet bag have to be wet? or is that just what it's called?

would have been nice if this family would have asked first rather than assumed we would be ok with cloth diapering.
Michael 12:14 PM 06-18-2019
You should have it in your policies that you do not use cloth diapers. Tell them that your business only uses disposable and that the child needs to be in one when dropped off.
Cat Herder 12:19 PM 06-18-2019
"I am sorry, but we don't currently offer cloth diaper services as they are time-consuming, messy, require appropriate storage space and are a known sanitation issue in group child care. Thank you for your understanding."

If this is not in your contract, you really need to add it as soon as possible.
Ariana 01:43 PM 06-18-2019
“Hi Janet, I noticed that little Jane was wearing cloth diapers today and they leaked. Unfortunately for sanitation reasons we do not accept cloth diapers. Please provide disposable diapers for Jane tomorrow. Thank you and sorry for the misunderstanding”
hwichlaz 11:56 AM 06-19-2019
The wet bag is where you place the wet/dirty diapers. That's it. Take diaper off, put in bag.
Unregistered 11:51 PM 06-19-2019
Cloth diapers are designed to be changed when a baby pees. You can't let them sit in pee like disposables allow or they'll leak. This means changing every 1-2 hours vs 3-4+ like I commonly witness happening. She should've said something and not just presumed you'd know how or be okay with it. Just state plainly that you don't CD. Look up state laws about it if you want, some states don't even allow it. Even admit that you don't know how to do it and be honest that you aren't interested in figuring it out if you really aren't.

Just say no, we don't use them because we don't know how and are uninterested. Apologize that it wasn't made apparent that such a policy exists, citing the rarity of necessity to bring it up. Inform that disposables are a must as a liability measure on your end to ensure total compliance to state laws and then apologize for the inconvenience that causes her.
Josiegirl 03:13 AM 06-20-2019
Now see, that's something I would've never thought to add to my policies. Last time cloth diapers ever came into play in my dc, was 29 years ago when I used them for my own dd.
It was highly presumptuous of dcm to just send them without asking you first. This was never discussed at initial meetings?

And unreg., be kind.
Snowmom 06:33 AM 06-20-2019
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Now see, that's something I would've never thought to add to my policies. Last time cloth diapers ever came into play in my dc, was 29 years ago when I used them for my own dd.
It was highly presumptuous of dcm to just send them without asking you first. This was never discussed at initial meetings?

And unreg., be kind.
I've never had it in my written policies either. Seems unnecessary as it should be something that's discussed at the interview if it was important or a deal breaker to the family.

Personally, I have used them with a daycare family in the past. I didn't mind them so much as long as they were properly cared for (stripped, washed correctly, stocked on liners, etc). But ultimately, I got po'd when I learned they didn't use them at home, only daycare.

I don't think I'd do it again though. I have too much to bag up and pack home with too many kids already. I'm not going to be running a bag of poopy diapers up and down my steps everyday. If it were me, I'd tell them: Cloth diapering is not a service I currently provide. If disposables are not something you are willing to supply, then I understand. I can submit your notice to terminate the contract.

With any possible crossroads you come to with a family, if they know you are willing to terminate, there is little room for "negotiations".
happymom 10:16 AM 06-20-2019
I can not imagine having anyone watch my kid (even for a night of baby sitting) and not discuss the cloth diapers with them first.

What the heck.

This is the same family that will send their kid in underpants out of the blue.
Mike 04:43 PM 06-20-2019
Originally Posted by happymom:
I can not imagine having anyone watch my kid (even for a night of baby sitting) and not discuss the cloth diapers with them first.

What the heck.

This is the same family that will send their kid in underpants out of the blue.

Mom2Two 05:03 PM 06-20-2019
Not asking you first would be a deal breaker for me. It's a red flag for crazy parent.

I used a combo of cloth and disposable for my kids, but it sounds like a lot of work in daycare.

I used untreated wool Nikki's to cover the cloth diapers. They were mostly waterproof. I wouldn't have dreamed of asking daycare to do it though.

#ifyouwantspecialthenstayathomeorgetananny
happymom 09:09 AM 06-21-2019
Both daycares my children have gone to did cloth for me.
The home daycare said it was no big deal, she had always wanted to learn to use cloth and was very accommodating.

There was a couple times my kid did awful poops and she put the dirties on the porch to keep the smell out of her house.

When my second son was born, my kids were in a center. I worked with them for a few months so they could check with licensing and make sure they were within regulations to use cloth. They were very accommodating. The staff always told me it was no big deal for them to use the cloth, but licensing had them keep the diapers outside (they have a bin for soiled clothes that they keep outside the facility so it is secured away from the children) --so that's where our dirty diapers lived. Someone would have to leave the room to put the diaper in the wet bag after every change. So that part seemed like kind of a pain, to me. AND WOW, summer months were brutal if he pooped early and it sat outside in the heat all day.

That said, I used "all in one" diapers in daycare, so they were all one piece and ready to put on. I stocked his cubby with 6 diapers every day and a wetbag. I took the dirties home at the end of the day and replaced them with clean diapers. So literally the only thing different from the other kids is that his dirties go in a wet bag instead of the diaper genie/landfill.
tlemother 04:19 AM 06-26-2019
Cloth diapering is big where I live. That said not every daycare takes cloth diapered kids. I had to look around when my son was little to find a local center that took cloth diapered kids as my son was exclusively cloth diapered and we did not use disposable. We only used AIO (all in one so no stuffing) for daycare. My youngest I do both cloth and disposable. Every two hours is the max generally for cloth diapers (sooner for heavy wetters) needing to be changed. If you are not comfortable with cloth diapering let mom know.
Unregistered 11:17 AM 06-26-2019
Thank You for all your replies. I talked to my child care nurse consultant for the do's and don'ts of cloth diapering in childcare.

Also the parent switched back to disposables.
Tags:cloth diaper policies, cloth diapers, cloth diapers vs pull ups, clothdiaper, disposable - diapers, group care, group care vs nanny care
Reply Up