Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Biting, Hyperactive, Bully 1 Year Old..
Samiam 11:31 AM 06-20-2019
I work at a daycare in the 1 year old room. We have a child who is super hyperactive, is a biter, and bullies the other children. He also loves running out of the room. His parents are basically useless and give him no positive attention at home. I have a room of 8 kids with me and another teacher. I have tried teethers, put up stop signs and blue tape by the door. We have tried rewarding him with a stamp or a sticker for good behavior but he just licks the stamp off and eats the sticker. In the past 2 weeks he has bit someone 15 times. He bit another child while wearing a teething necklace.The daycare just says that you just need 1 of you to be by him 24/7 & the other 1 take care of the other 7. I don't feel that is fair to the other teacher or the kids. The director is no help and could care less. Worst of all now the other children are starting to copy his behavior. I am burnt out and frustrated. Any suggestions?
Mom2Two 12:59 PM 06-20-2019
Do they at least rotate so that it's not one teacher bearing the brunt of this situation?

The worst part is that you are burnt out. You shouldn't have to be that way. Are there any other good daycares you could work at?
springv 01:12 PM 06-20-2019
What's the ratios in your state? Are you licensed? Is this a center or home based?
This is a for a licensed center in Alabama, (I know that all ratios depend on the state in which you reside in). Please look at the ratios because I personally think that you have too many children within your classroom and that is causing burnout and aggression with this child
Attached: 20190620_151118.jpg (76.8 KB) 
Cat Herder 01:49 PM 06-20-2019
Originally Posted by springvalley112:
I personally think that you have too many children within your classroom and that is causing burnout and aggression with this child
I read it to say that they have a one to four ratio. That is really low already. I am one to six. Many here are one to eight and up.

It isn't about ratio, IMHO, it is about lack of support by a director unwilling to terminate a violent child. The other parents should start pulling soon. Once they lose enough kids, the center then will act. Not until other parents take their money with them will this be resolved.
Bluemoon5 02:20 PM 06-20-2019
Sorry you're dealing with this. I've been there several times over the years. Shadowing can be effective, but only if it's an extra teacher doing the shadowing. You can't expect one person to shadow and leave the other out of ratio with 7 kids. That's not fair to anyone.
In my experience, this only gets solved when the wrong kid gets bit, or gets bit multiple times. In my center at least, it's angry parents that effect the most change.
Unregistered 04:14 PM 06-20-2019
Originally Posted by springvalley112:
What's the ratios in your state? Are you licensed? Is this a center or home based?
This is a for a licensed center in Alabama, (I know that all ratios depend on the state in which you reside in). Please look at the ratios because I personally think that you have too many children within your classroom and that is causing burnout and aggression with this child
I am in Wisconsin. For children 18 to 24 months you can have up to 8 with 2 teachers in the room. I work at a center.
Samiam 04:20 PM 06-20-2019
Originally Posted by Samiam:
I work at a daycare in the 1 year old room. We have a child who is super hyperactive, is a biter, and bullies the other children. He also loves running out of the room. His parents are basically useless and give him no positive attention at home. I have a room of 8 kids with me and another teacher. I have tried teethers, put up stop signs and blue tape by the door. We have tried rewarding him with a stamp or a sticker for good behavior but he just licks the stamp off and eats the sticker. In the past 2 weeks he has bit someone 15 times. He bit another child while wearing a teething necklace.The daycare just says that you just need 1 of you to be by him 24/7 & the other 1 take care of the other 7. I don't feel that is fair to the other teacher or the kids. The director is no help and could care less. Worst of all now the other children are starting to copy his behavior. I am burnt out and frustrated. Any suggestions?
I work in a center in Wisconsin. I work specifically with 18 to 24 months. I already know the director won't do anything until other parents start shaking their wallets. Until then we have to deal with it. It ridiculous. How many times can a kid bite someone before they need to be removed from the center? I feel awful for the kid but it's 1 against 7.
jenboo 05:16 AM 06-21-2019
Start looking for a new job. Not worth the stress.
Ariana 06:04 AM 06-21-2019
Shadowing is the only thing that has worked for me in a centre of 15 toddlers to 3 teachers. We had two rooms so really it was 2 teachers to 10 toddlers and yes we had to follow him around.

I didn’t feel it took away from the other kids as much as being bitten would. If I had to deal with a child I would take her by the hand and she would go wherever I would. Intervening and modelling appropriate conduct is the only thing that works. “STOP” in a stern voice and “gentle” in a soft voice with hand over hand to touch the other child.
springv 07:19 AM 06-21-2019
We've terminated children because of this after so many biting incidents. We send a letter to the offending child and the child that got bit and make copies.

Here's an example:
"Dear parent/guardian
Your child got bit by another child today during playtime. We gave child lots of hugs and kisses. So sorry this happened"
Unregistered 04:28 PM 06-22-2019
I feel ya! I got this child. Her parent is constantly complaining. First it was that we DARED to send home a report when she bit, then it was she got scratched (when she was in another child face), and then she got dirty. Like mom flipped out that her kid got food on her shirt. Our solution? child stays in a area alone unless a teacher is with her (not always possible) and wears a full paint smock at all meals. Poor kid hates it. Hopefully she gets to move up soon.
As for your door problem: get a child safety knob. Most are easy enough for an adult to open but not for a child.
Tags:18 month old, biting, bully, center based teachers, frustrated, mandated reporter, shadow, suggestions, violence in child care
Reply Up