Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Free Childcare
mrma 05:55 PM 06-27-2019
I have a family of 3, they're state subsidy. When I agreed to take them, mom told the state her schedule was from 6:00a to 2:30p. Immediately after starting she would come at 5:30a and pick up at 3:00. I didn't say anything because state pays full time which is 10 hours. Recently she has started picking up at four, going past the 10 hours and wants to pick up at 4:30p. I've told her she needs to call the state and get authorization for overtime. She did, and was asked to provide employment verification. She got it but the payroll rep put on the form the same schedule she's supposed to be on 6:00a to 2:30p, I told her she needed to tell them she's getting out later, she says she already told them and they won't change it. So I faxed it in hoping that the "schedule varies" statement on the form will suffice but something tells me that it won't. My dilema now is that I am feeling guilty and that I should some how just eat the 30 minutes 5 times a week for 3 kids. I know I should charge her for that time, but I don't know how much and what if she goes somewhere else where they won't charge her? Its a small town and Im sure she'd find someone that wouldn't mind the overtime.
Josiegirl 04:09 AM 06-28-2019
Can you call them yourself?
Every state must be different because Vt. pays more over a certain number of hours per week. To me, that's a long day for kiddos, and starts awfully early. Is she truly working that many hours or taking time for shopping, etc.?
How badly do you need this dcf financially? I think I'd want to charge something for the extra long days. That's 150 extra minutes a week for 3 kids. A lot of free time for them.
It's a decision only you can make; knowing how your local dc situation is, your own financial needs....3 dcks is quite a chunk of change to lose if they go elsewhere.
Cat Herder 05:03 AM 06-28-2019
Can she simply private pay for anything after 3 pm? Maybe that would put a stop to the requests as it would be coming out of her own pocket.

Why would you feel guilty? She is having childcare costs for three kids handed to her and is asking for more.
Vesta 05:13 AM 06-28-2019
If you add it all up you would be giving away over $1000 in care over the course of the year. That’s a lot for you to eat because of feeling guilty.
Ariana 06:55 AM 06-28-2019
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Can she simply private pay for anything after 3 pm? Maybe that would put a stop to the requests as it would be coming out of her own pocket.

Why would you feel guilty? She is having childcare costs for three kids handed to her and is asking for more.
This! It is not your responsibility to now subsidize extra care. Would she expect to work extra for no pay?
springv 09:59 AM 06-28-2019
Our center here in Alabama is opened from 6am until 6pm and they base it on your income to determine how much you have to pay. Can you file a claim in your state if they don't come or if they lose their card or if they come longer than what they claim?
Annalee 10:12 AM 06-28-2019
Educators, providers or whatever the state wants to call us provide services but are a BUSINESS. Not sure if my state has a number of hours per day for subsidy care, however, they have increased pay for subsidy here substantially to encourage providers to offer care for non-traditional hours (before 6 AM and after 6 PM). To my knowledge, very few, if any have took up their offer. Providers/educators offer services but we are also business owners and have families ourselves. No pay/no stay here!
AmyKidsCo 01:22 PM 06-28-2019

Originally Posted by Vesta:
If you add it all up you would be giving away over $1000 in care over the course of the year. That’s a lot for you to eat because of feeling guilty.
Originally Posted by Ariana:
This! It is not your responsibility to now subsidize extra care. Would she expect to work extra for no pay?
My thoughts exactly.

What would Walmart do - take her vouchers for most of her food then give her the rest free? I don't think so!
mrma 06:23 PM 06-28-2019
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Can you call them yourself?
Every state must be different because Vt. pays more over a certain number of hours per week. To me, that's a long day for kiddos, and starts awfully early. Is she truly working that many hours or taking time for shopping, etc.?
How badly do you need this dcf financially? I think I'd want to charge something for the extra long days. That's 150 extra minutes a week for 3 kids. A lot of free time for them.
It's a decision only you can make; knowing how your local dc situation is, your own financial needs....3 dcks is quite a chunk of change to lose if they go elsewhere.
I haven't tried calling, I'll try on Monday. Today she picked up at 5:10. I am so pissed, its the lack of common courtesy that totally pisses me off. Why can't people just let you know they'll be late, whats worse is that she didn't even bother asking how much she owed since we JUST had this overtime conversation.
I will try to recruit three in their place before I let them go. They're a big chunk of change. The other part of is is that two of them are twin 10 year old boys and they are rowdy as heck. My head is still throbbing. One is overly sensitive and cries if you correct any of his behavior.
mrma 06:23 PM 06-28-2019
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
My thoughts exactly.

What would Walmart do - take her vouchers for most of her food then give her the rest free? I don't think so!
Seriously! No one works for free.
mrma 06:24 PM 06-28-2019
Originally Posted by Annalee:
Educators, providers or whatever the state wants to call us provide services but are a BUSINESS. Not sure if my state has a number of hours per day for subsidy care, however, they have increased pay for subsidy here substantially to encourage providers to offer care for non-traditional hours (before 6 AM and after 6 PM). To my knowledge, very few, if any have took up their offer. Providers/educators offer services but we are also business owners and have families ourselves. No pay/no stay here!
A lot of providers in my area only take subsidy because its paid well. Our demographics are orchard workers so most everyone qualifies. The ones that don't are notorious for not paying so no one wants to take on private pays
mrma 06:27 PM 06-28-2019
Originally Posted by springvalley112:
Our center here in Alabama is opened from 6am until 6pm and they base it on your income to determine how much you have to pay. Can you file a claim in your state if they don't come or if they lose their card or if they come longer than what they claim?
I can call but they'll just tell me she needs to be the one to call for authorization of extra hours or I have to charge her private pay.
Originally Posted by Ariana:
It's so stressful! She picked up at 5:10 today and just left like nothing.
Originally Posted by Vesta:
That's a lot of money to be giving away, she's not a relative or a friend, and even then I'd think really hard about giving that kind of money away.
Josiegirl 03:12 AM 06-29-2019
Is she working all that time??? It sounds like she's taking huge advantage of you!
Did you both sign a contract when she started care? Mine stated the hours and days that care was required and anything over that was charged overtime. It sounds like her original needed hours has changed dramatically in a very short time and I find that hard to believe.
You have to decide whether the stress is worth the $$$ if she pulls the 'going someplace else' card. That's almost a 12 hour day. Mama gets all the tax benefits of having kids without having to be a parent.
mrma 07:04 PM 06-30-2019
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Is she working all that time??? It sounds like she's taking huge advantage of you!
Did you both sign a contract when she started care? Mine stated the hours and days that care was required and anything over that was charged overtime. It sounds like her original needed hours has changed dramatically in a very short time and I find that hard to believe.
You have to decide whether the stress is worth the $$$ if she pulls the 'going someplace else' card. That's almost a 12 hour day. Mama gets all the tax benefits of having kids without having to be a parent.
Supposedly she's working, but I don't know why she just doesn't pick up at her scheduled time. It doesn't make sense to pay me overtime for that extra work. If I charged her 30 dollars, each child 10 dollars per 1.5 hrs, she wouldn't make that at work.
LysesKids 02:19 PM 07-02-2019
Originally Posted by mrma:
Supposedly she's working, but I don't know why she just doesn't pick up at her scheduled time. It doesn't make sense to pay me overtime for that extra work. If I charged her 30 dollars, each child 10 dollars per 1.5 hrs, she wouldn't make that at work.
her being able to pay isn't your problem... if she is working OT, she's getting OT pay; if she's lying then hitting her in the pocketbook will stop the late pick ups pronto. Explain that without state authorization she must pay the private rate just like everyone else
Cat Herder 05:20 AM 07-03-2019
If I charged her 30 dollars, each child 10 dollars per 1.5 hrs, she wouldn't make that at work.
Then, perhaps, she'd stop doing it.

Why are you willing to take time and resources from your own family for hers? Takers take, givers give, only you can stop the cycle.
WBee 09:39 AM 07-10-2019
Charge her for any overtime/late fees. Something tells me that aren't allowing it because she isn't working it. Don't ever work for free! As someone already mentioned, three kids & free care already?! If she's truly working later, she will have the funds to pay you.
mrma 04:39 PM 07-25-2019
Originally Posted by WBee:
Charge her for any overtime/late fees. Something tells me that aren't allowing it because she isn't working it. Don't ever work for free! As someone already mentioned, three kids & free care already?! If she's truly working later, she will have the funds to pay you.
I agree, yesterday she picked up past 7. And still had the gall to say "I didn't get finished with work"

This morning she comes knocking at 5:20am because she didn't finish work yesterday. Damn it!!!!
Josiegirl 03:32 AM 07-26-2019
I agree, yesterday she picked up past 7. And still had the gall to say "I didn't get finished with work"

This morning she comes knocking at 5:20am because she didn't finish work yesterday. Damn it!!!!
Please tell me she's being charged for this now? Because if she isn't, she needs to either start paying you extra as of yesterday or you need to stop allowing it altogether. That's a long-a$$ day for you AND a child. What does she do...throw her into bed as soon as she gets home? Do you feed her dinner before she leaves? She is using you. These are the kinds of situations where she needs to either modify her work schedule for the betterment of her family OR find someone else for those longer days.
Honestly, this should NOT be allowed.
e.j. 08:20 AM 07-26-2019
I would tell her she either needs to drop off and pick up at the agreed upon time or she needs to find another child care for her kids. That's ridiculous! If you're reluctant to do that because you're afraid you won't be able to replace them, start looking now and replace them as soon as you can. In the meantime, I'd be hitting her with major early drop off/late pick up fees.
Cat Herder 08:31 AM 07-26-2019
What you allow is what will continue.

Do something about it.
Josiegirl 12:49 PM 07-26-2019

Do something about it.

HHangout 02:07 PM 07-28-2019
In my centers, the rule was state families take care of things, and pay out of pocket for more. When state requested the hours (5 hours, or 5-10) you had to put down the numbers 1 (meaning 5 hours) or 2 (5-10) on the sheet. If they went over the allotted that info went to state to handle. You cant call state on their behalf. 10 plus hours incurred the same fee everyone else would.
Once you give an inch people take a mile and care needs to be stopped if they've exceeded warnings.
amberrose3dg 08:09 AM 07-29-2019

WTF!
Something is rotten as hell. I can tell you first hand state aid clients take advantage. As matter of fact our office does random audits and wants the client's clock in and out hours to verify the times.
I can almost bet she is not working that many hours. If she is then she can provide the documentation to back it up and get the state to cover. From my calculations, it is a lot more than 30 minutes a day. You said she gets off at 230 so should be there at 3. She is showing up at 430 so that's 1.5 hours over every day? I would not eat that time. Replace if this continues to go on.
Mom2Two 11:49 AM 07-29-2019

Do something about it.
Truth! Even totally decent families think that stuff doesn't bother us unless we put our foot down about it in one way or another.
Tags:free care, free childcare, overtime, state subsidy, subsidies, subsidy, subsidy issues
Reply Up