Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>~3 year old Taking Shoes Off
trix23 01:56 PM 07-02-2019
I have an almost 3 year old who will take shoes off 3x or more in the afternoons after PM snack is done and we are doing free play/ music. I've tried time outs, talking about keeping shoes on, excluding from activities, etc and nothing seems to be working.

Mom seems on-board with nipping it in the bud but I don't think follow-through at home is as good as it is with me.

Suggestions/ideas?
springv 07:37 PM 07-02-2019
We have a child that does the exact same thing and is also the same age as well however, child is developmentally delayed in language skills and doesn't communicate
Ariana 05:26 AM 07-03-2019
How many kids do you have? Do you catch him in the act and tell him to stop? I assume you do and he is not listening?

This is just the strangest thing!! Sounds like a nervous anxiety thing perhaps? Children with anxiety often have routines they perform to calm themselves. Do you think this might be the case?
284878 06:14 AM 07-03-2019
Do the shoes hurt his feet?
hwichlaz 07:46 AM 07-03-2019
Are you inside? I hate wearing shoes. They are not comfortable. They restrict the movement of my feet, feel suffocating. I can't imagine being a toddler trying to deal with that. Maybe if mom finds something more comfortable that doesn't feel like a shoe he'll leave them on. Like Robeez? My kids wore Robeez until they were 4 or 5 years old, so I no they make larger sizes.
Jupadia 08:34 AM 07-03-2019
Mom also may not be able to follow up at home, if they dont wear shoes inside.
Ac114 11:38 AM 07-03-2019
Originally Posted by Jupadia:
Mom also may not be able to follow up at home, if they dont wear shoes inside.
This is my thought. We don’t wear shoes inside and half the time my kids don’t wear shoes outside either 🤷🏼*♀️
knoxmomof2 12:24 PM 07-03-2019
I just put them back on the first time, tap the shoe with my finger and say "leave your shoes on. Do not take them off." If they try again, they get a direct stare and "no, leave them on." For the age you have, shouldn't be an issue. Of course, you'll want to watch for any signs of discomfort (either their body language or red spots on their feet) and address that with the parents, otherwise the above should work.

I wouldn't bother the parents with this, it's an "at daycare" issue that only you can fix (again, as long as it's a behavioral thing and not a discomfort thing).
coloradoprovider 02:26 PM 07-03-2019
I deal with the opposite problem - I don't allow shoes inside! if a child/parent wanted said child to wear shoes inside they would need to leave a clean pair that I wash and keep the bottoms clean and that they can only wear inside. Would you allow the child to change into a softer soled shoe when inside?
Unregistered 06:46 AM 07-04-2019
Originally Posted by Ariana:
How many kids do you have? Do you catch him in the act and tell him to stop? I assume you do and he is not listening?

This is just the strangest thing!! Sounds like a nervous anxiety thing perhaps? Children with anxiety often have routines they perform to calm themselves. Do you think this might be the case?
Usually she does it so fast that I don't see it happen or I'll notice it when she starts taking off other kids' shoes. I have 3-6 on any given day. But def could be anxiety as it seems she has that. Her mom def has it and kinda passes along little bits of anxiety onto the child.
Mom2Two 12:55 PM 07-05-2019
I had never even thought of dck keeping shoes on inside. We are totally shoes off, except for me, since I got plantar fasciitis and need to wear memory foam indoors now.

Not trying to be snarky...genuinely not understanding...but why have kids keep shoes on indoors?
knoxmomof2 09:20 PM 07-06-2019
Originally Posted by Mom2Two:
I had never even thought of dck keeping shoes on inside. We are totally shoes off, except for me, since I got plantar fasciitis and need to wear memory foam indoors now.

Not trying to be snarky...genuinely not understanding...but why have kids keep shoes on indoors?
Answering for my own situation, I'm not the OP. It saves time and effort to leave them on from when they arrive to when we go outside in the morning. In the afternoon, after nap and snack, I get everyone changed, shoes on and ready to go outside and eventually home. Once their shoes are on, they need to stay on because I don't want to be scrambling around looking for shoes or tying laces when their parent walks in. I want them to go home! Lol....
AmyKidsCo 01:27 PM 07-09-2019
Also not being snarky, just curious - why can't they take their shoes off? Is it a center rule? Safety issue?

If it's not a rule I say let them stay off. Why put yourself through all that hassle if you don't have to?
Lissa Kristine 03:07 PM 07-14-2019
I know that my state requires shoes at all times- including during nap. It's for safety reasons. If there's an emergency and we need to evacuate, we won't have time to get shoes on everyone.

Personally, I don't see a problem with kids being barefoot outdoors, but the state disagrees.
Tags:3 year old, shoes, taking shoes off
Reply Up