Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>DCGrandma...
WBee 09:06 AM 07-10-2019
Hello all! I have posted about this family prior but here it goes. I agreed to watch dcb part time for 2 months (May & June) for dcm who is a teacher. She informed me of his end date early on hoping for a spot saved in Sept. (to save her summer $$) I explained to both her and Grandma (who does all drop-offs and runs the show) that a spot was not promised. On dcb's last scheduled day Grandma asks if I've heard from Mom (No) because Grandma talked dcm into keeping dcb here for the summer. I explained that I had already given the spot away and she should have ASKED me prior. She then asked if they still had a spot come Sept. I explained my policy-yet again. Fast forward to last Monday-She (Grandma) calls (my day off) leaving a message saying dcb misses me... and "call her back please." I do not call. This Monday Grandma calls again (leaving another message)asking if she can bring him in. (My day off-again.) Should I call her back? I'm pretty much done with Grandma. I had told her (per her request) that if someone took a full week vacation, I would let her know. I am NOT a babysitter!
Ac114 09:14 AM 07-10-2019
Originally Posted by WBee:
Hello all! I have posted about this family prior but here it goes. I agreed to watch dcb part time for 2 months (May & June) for dcm who is a teacher. She informed me of his end date early on hoping for a spot saved in Sept. (to save her summer $$) I explained to both her and Grandma (who does all drop-offs and runs the show) that a spot was not promised. On dcb's last scheduled day Grandma asks if I've heard from Mom (No) because Grandma talked dcm into keeping dcb here for the summer. I explained that I had already given the spot away and she should have ASKED me prior. She then asked if they still had a spot come Sept. I explained my policy-yet again. Fast forward to last Monday-She (Grandma) calls (my day off) leaving a message saying dcb misses me... and "call her back please." I do not call. This Monday Grandma calls again (leaving another message)asking if she can bring him in. (My day off-again.) Should I call her back? I'm pretty much done with Grandma. I had told her (per her request) that if someone took a full week vacation, I would let her know. I am NOT a babysitter!
What? This is insane. I would not call her back. This is so rude and disrespectful on soo many levels! She is trying to guilt you into keeping him for the remainder of the summer or to manipulate you into having a spot for him come September. I don’t know if you have filled the spot or not but this would just send me over the edge to not bring him back on come September. Not only that, you do not WORK for grandma.
WBee 09:21 AM 07-10-2019
Originally Posted by Ac114:
What? This is insane. I would not call her back. This is so rude and disrespectful on soo many levels! She is trying to guilt you into keeping him for the remainder of the summer or to manipulate you into having a spot for him come September. I don’t know if you have filled the spot or not but this would just send me over the edge to not bring him back on come September. Not only that, you do not WORK for grandma.
Thank you! I just feel bad for dcb's Mom. I've decided not to take him back in Sept. due to this and how Grandma irritates me doing other things (showing up prior to opening & repeatedly pulling on my locked front door blaming dcb for wanting to leave early-ugh!). I want to let Mom know what Grandma is doing is a "nice" way because Mom is very sweet but I don't even want to call that house!
springv 09:29 AM 07-10-2019
I wouldn't call her back and let her stew for awhile because its rude and disrespectful to call someone on their day off no matter what time of the year it is
WBee 09:34 AM 07-10-2019
Originally Posted by springvalley112:
I wouldn't call her back and let her stew for awhile because its rude and disrespectful to call someone on their day off no matter what time of the year it is
I agree but she has no idea when I have time off as they are not enrolled right now. LOL She still shouldn't be calling me anyway.
LysesKids 04:01 PM 07-10-2019
I agree but she has no idea when I have time off as they are not enrolled right now. LOL She still shouldn't be calling me anyway.
Let her know in no uncertain terms that she is disturbing you regardless of work hrs or time off & since she has no contract, your next step will be filing for harassment if she doesn't cease & desist
lovemykidstoo 04:46 AM 07-11-2019
I just love when other family members get involved when they have no business getting involved. I would talk to mom only about anything. It's not grandmas child. So you wanted dcb all summer to guarantee spot in Sept right? Sounds like that's what they were going to do, but they dropped the ball and waited too long to do that. The person you filled the spot with are they for summer only? So maybe that would work out that that person comes for summer and the other child comes in September? I wouldn't call grandma back at all, I would speak only to mom.
Ariana 05:28 AM 07-11-2019
I personally would call/text (text might be better so you have a copy of what was said) grandma back and be very specific about the fact that DCB is no longer at the daycare and that you no longer have a spot and that calling is unfortunately not going to change that. Apologize for the confusion and let her know that should things change in September you will give her a call, otherwise good luck in her search for alternate daycare services. Then I would put her on block. You have said your piece one last time, were very specific and that’s that.
rosieteddy 06:26 AM 07-11-2019
I am with Ariana on this.Let Grandma know you have no spots for the summer.As far as Grandma picking up and dropping off though the mom must have okayed it.Really its up to the parent to decide if Grandma speaks for her.I would get some written policy on the situation.For all we know Mom may have asked Grandma to be in charge for her.KWIM.
Blackcat31 06:59 AM 07-11-2019
Email (or text) and offer either GMA or DCB's mother the option of being placed on a wait list.

Explain that they chose to unenroll and their space was filled.

Tell them IF things change you will contact them but until then you don't offer drop in services or a promise for services/availability in the Fall. Tell them the waitlist is the ONLY option for them at this time.

In regards to feeling bad for the DCB's mom.... I wouldn't. She's the one allowing her mother to take over so it's not like she's being held hostage. Stop feeling bad for someone else's choices.
Mom2Two 11:58 AM 07-11-2019
Grandma sounds like quite the manipulator.

The wait list offer sounds like a great way to say "no" diplomatically.
WBee 06:52 AM 07-17-2019
Yes, I did let Grandma & Mom know back in June, on his last day, that she was now on the list and I'd call her if I had availability in September. The dcg who has taken his spot is year round. I think Grandma has the strange idea that I am a babysitter and she can call me at random to sit for the day. NO WAY!!! If I did have the availability, I would be charging her babysitters hourly fees, which we all know are more $$ than daycare fees.
Tags:grandparents, guilt trips, rude clients
Reply Up