Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Book Club - Reviews / Suggestions>Needing Some New Recommendations
Josiegirl 04:17 PM 07-25-2019
Anybody read anything recently they'd like to share?

I've been reading some Tess Gerritson. I like her but she does a lot of autopsy gore type stuff which once you've read one, you've read 'em all.
I had never read James Patterson before but happened to pick up The Black Book last week as a freebie at Salvation Army, and that was a very good suspense read!

So now, being out of new ideas I'm rereading some Janet Evonavich.
Jo123ABC 07:27 AM 07-26-2019
I really liked "then she was gone" and "where the crawdads sing" but my absolute favorite books are the outlander series by Diana Gabaldon! I also have a list of fantasy/paranormal romance I like but I know those aren't for everyone
Blackcat31 07:41 AM 07-26-2019
I love Janet Evanovich! She puts out a new one fairly often so I rarely have time to re-read any of them. I don't read nearly as much as I used to.

My mom is a huge James Patterson fan and I am sure she has all of his books in hardcover. She'll re-read books several times too!

Another favorite of mine is John Grisham. He writes well and keeps me guessing until the end.

If you like James Patterson try, John Sandford and Sue Grafton. They're very similar to James Patterson type books.

Also check out Elin Hilderbrand. Super easy reading but interesting and fun! She is someone I think you'd like.

Other suggestions.... I love Lisa Scottoline, Jennifer Weiner and Kristin Hannah. All easy, light but interesting reads.
Josiegirl 08:30 AM 07-26-2019
BC, you're the reason I started reading Janet Evanovich in the first place and I couldn't believe I had never bothered to pick a book of hers up before; she's always got me laughing and loving the story. And I LOVE Lisa Scottoline and Kristin Hannah! I've also read a couple of Jennifer Weiner and tried reading one of Elin Hilderbrand but couldn't get too far into it. Maybe I just wasn't in the mood at the time. Can't even remember what it was now; will have to check her out again.
John Grisham is another one I've never bothered to look into but will pick up one at the library!
And The Outlander Series; everybody raves about it but have yet to give it a try so will definitely seek those out too. Then She Was Gone sounds familiar, will look at that one.
Thanks!!
Cat Herder 11:05 AM 07-26-2019
After a couple of years stuck on ELE's, pandemics, medical horror and military history I have started reading Philippa Gregory books to level out. She takes English history and makes it engaging. I am enjoying her a lot more than I expected to. I purchased 20 to start and am working my way through. I started with Plantagenet & Tudor and Order Of Darkness Books.

https://www.bookseriesinorder.com/philippa-gregory/
MyAngels 12:11 PM 07-26-2019
Another vote for John Sandford. I love his Prey series books, but there are a lot of them, he's up to somewhere in the 25 or 26 range now. He also has another series that ties into the Prey books that's newer, the Virgil Flowers books.

I love Robert Crais, the Elvis Cole and Joe Pike books.

I've recently been reading Liane Moriarity, who wrote the book that Big Little Lies is Based on. They're a little different than the usual crime series books that I read, but I've really been enjoying them.

I also like Harlan Coben. He has one series I think (Myron Bolitar), but he also writes stand alone books that are great.

Michael Connelly is good (more crime series - Harry Bosch is the main character, but he's adding in new characters now as well).

I also like Greg Iles books. He has some stand alone books, and one series (Penn Cage).

Karin Slaughter is another one I've read. I'm not sure if she's written anything new lately, but she's done both a series and some stand alone books as well.

Can't tell what I spend my free time doing, can you?
Josiegirl 12:54 PM 07-26-2019
Originally Posted by MyAngels:

I also like Harlan Coben. He has one series I think (Myron Bolitar), but he also writes stand alone books that are great.

Karin Slaughter is another one I've read. I'm not sure if she's written anything new lately, but she's done both a series and some stand alone books as well.

Can't tell what I spend my free time doing, can you?
I have read a few of Karin Slaughter and do enjoy her books as well as Lisa Gardner. And Harlan Coben is another author I love(one of my top 5 fav authors); really enjoy the humor he injects into his mysteries.
Jodi Picoult
Kristin Hannah
Lisa Scottoline
Harlan Coben
Janet Evonavich
springv 04:00 PM 07-26-2019
I've figured out I love audio books. If you have a library card from your local library, you can get audiobooks and ebooks on overdrive or libby which is a sister to overdrive and they are both available Google Play and itunes
AmyKidsCo 01:39 PM 07-31-2019
For light reading I like Nora Roberts and her pseudonym J.D. Robb. Happy endings are my thing.

I also love the Mary Russell series by Laurie R. King. It's a Sherlock Holmes spinoff but I like this Sherlock (can't stand the original series).

For self-help I keep going back to Getting Things Done by David Allen, Marie Kondo's two books, and Decluttering at the Speed of Life by Dana K. White.
Mom2Two 11:51 AM 08-12-2019
If you haven't read Richard Peck's books, do yourself a favor. They are youth books, but so well written. There's one called "A Long Way From Chicago," first in a trilogy. So funny and clever and nice!
CeriBear 05:44 PM 06-07-2020
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
After a couple of years stuck on ELE's, pandemics, medical horror and military history I have started reading Philippa Gregory books to level out. She takes English history and makes it engaging. I am enjoying her a lot more than I expected to. I purchased 20 to start and am working my way through. I started with Plantagenet & Tudor and Order Of Darkness Books.

https://www.bookseriesinorder.com/philippa-gregory/

If you like to read about the Tudors have you tried the Allison Weir series on Henry VIIIs wives? I’m reading the one on Katherine Howard right now.
I’m a Philippa Gregory fan too.
Cat Herder 04:08 AM 06-08-2020
Originally Posted by CeriBear:
If you like to read about the Tudors have you tried the Allison Weir series on Henry VIIIs wives? I’m reading the one on Katherine Howard right now.
I’m a Philippa Gregory fan too.
I have both complete sets.
Tags:book suggestions
Reply Up