Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Tell Me About Your Nap Time Furniture
TaylorTots 03:16 PM 08-05-2019
A. Do you have pack and plays or portacribs?

Please share for A:
1) Is your choice mandated by your licensing requirements?
2) What do you like/dislike about whichever you have?

I am a previous pnp daycare but am starting from scratch during reopening with purchases and have the choice of either. I like the pnps because when I don't have kids in that age range they store easily but they are SUCH a pain to take up and down... Considering portacribs as I can roll them into up to 3 bedrooms for naptimes, etc.

B. Which cots do you swear by? Why do you like them?

Anything else you want to share? Thanks!
storybookending 08:25 PM 08-05-2019
Originally Posted by TaylorTots:

Please share for A:

I am a previous pnp daycare but am starting from scratch during reopening with purchases and have the choice of either. I like the pnps because when I don't have kids in that age range they store easily but they are SUCH a pain to take up and down... Considering portacribs as I can roll them into up to 3 bedrooms for naptimes, etc.

I actually use full on toddler beds for my older kiddos. I have a spare bedroom that they are always set up in. My youngest are in pack n plays as they are in my personal bedroom. I honestly don’t find set up and take down of them to be that difficult, it takes only about 30 seconds when it’s something you are used to doing.
Blackcat31 06:29 AM 08-06-2019

Please share for A:

I have one mini crib for those rare times I do have an infant (under 12 months). The rest use nap mats.

I don't have the room for cots nor the desire to mess with them in regards to storage and teaching the kids to use the properly and I hate PNP's made in the last 10-15 years because they are so cheap and flimsy and not at all what they used to be so not worth even buying in my opinion.
284878 07:02 AM 08-06-2019
I use pnp but would like to switch to foldable cribs. I got one for DS and when he moves out of it into a bed I will use the crib for DC. Foldable cribs fit through doorways and easier to clean in between dck or illness. With a pack and play I have to do a full submergence soak to clean and then wait a couple days to dry, and if not done right I'm damage mattress board. With the crib I can do a wipe down with cleaner and be ready for the next day. However the cribs is going to be harder to store if I don't need it but I typically always have at least one pnp in use.

I bought DS crib from Amazon business account, I got it for less then if I had used my Amazon personal account.

As for cot versus Mat, currently have them both. For cot I used the regalo cot with sheet. They fold like camping chairs and come with a bag. I have three of those. I just purchased some ECR4kids tri fold mat (5) off eBay for $70. Storing those in pillowcases with a blanket. I have currently 8 kids in my care all part-time. So I found myself shy bedding, the cots are about 25 to $30 a piece and have to be washed like the pnp. Using the mats where a cheaper route. Plus I figured that they could be wipe down easily if I had to use a mat for more than one child during the week.

I placed stickers on the tags of the Cots and Mats to identify which one goes to which child. Then posted a chart as a reminder.

To answer your question, I can use either a pnp or crib for naps and crib only for overnight care, which I don't offer.
Cat Herder 07:33 AM 08-06-2019
I use emergency evacuation mini-cribs (I picked https://smile.amazon.com/Baby-Deluxe...s%2A=0&ie=UTF8). I was required to have one, then loved it so much I purchased two. I can really only keep two kids under one year before my ratio cuts in half, so I don't need more.

PNP's are not recommended because they cannot be sanitized well (cardboard pad absorbs body fluids, can't be replaced), have drop/mesh sides that are not particularly safe and keep infants outside of easy reach for people of larger or shorter proportions. The theory is we won't pick up the baby as often if it is harder to do it, watching cameras it is pretty convincing that they are on to something.

I buy each child their own 3-inch crib mattress upon enrollment and they use that from the crib, until their last day. I use the extra-large kinder sheets. Meets QRIS recommendations very well and the price is easily comparable to the 3-inch foldable nap mats.
https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...DKIKX0DER&th=1

The day may come where I am required to do cots, but I never liked them when I worked in centers. Just personal choice, I suppose. The kids love their soft sheets, mattresses, and blankets.
TaylorTots 08:35 AM 08-06-2019
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I have one mini crib for those rare times I do have an infant (under 12 months). The rest use nap mats.

I don't have the room for cots nor the desire to mess with them in regards to storage and teaching the kids to use the properly and I hate PNP's made in the last 10-15 years because they are so cheap and flimsy and not at all what they used to be so not worth even buying in my opinion.
Do you have sheets for the nap mats? Didn't think about that route. What thickness are your mats?
TaylorTots 08:38 AM 08-06-2019
Thank you ladies for the feedback. This is very helpful!
Lovisa 08:47 AM 08-06-2019
Nap mats for toddlers (washable memory foam ones) and pack n plays for infants. All toddlers sleep in the play room on their nap mats (when it isn't summer vacation and my own kids are at school, the toddlers sleep in my kids bedroom on their mats). One infant sleeps in my bedroom in a pack n play, and when I get infant twins soon, they will both be in pack n plays in my other daughters room.

Summers make it difficult sometimes because I want my teenagers to have their own spaces since they aren't gone all day at school. I will be happy when daycare sleeping routine is back to normal and my kids are gone all day!
Blackcat31 09:16 AM 08-06-2019
Do you have sheets for the nap mats? Didn't think about that route. What thickness are your mats?
A friend of mine made something like this for my nap mats.

My mats are the 1" thick ones. I bought the 2" ones before and honestly I don't think any of the kids care or notice the thickness plus the 1" ones are easier (and cheaper) to replace.
Cat Herder 09:29 AM 08-06-2019
My mats are the 1" thick ones. I bought the 2" ones before and honestly I don't think any of the kids care or notice the thickness plus the 1" ones are easier (and cheaper) to replace.
The kids never seemed to mind my old 1-inch mats either. I loved the extra space. Our regs are two-inch minimum, so once they sleep on the 2-inch ones a few weeks, they won't meet the regs. They compress when they lay on them, that is when they measure them, not on the shelf. 3 inch was the only way I was able to finally "meet" the reg consistently.

"Cots and Mats. Cots and mats shall be provided for each child who is two (2) years of age or older and who is required to take a nap and for each child under the age of two years who can climb out of a crib or other equipment approved for infant sleep.

1. Cot and Mat Construction. Cots and mats shall be of sound construction and of sufficient size to accommodate comfortably the size and weight of the child. Mats must be in good repair, washable, covered with waterproof material and at least two inches (2") thick.

2. Individual Use. Cots and mats must be used by the same child daily and marked for individual use. (That is why I buy each their own)

3. Sheets. Sheets or similar coverings for cots or mats shall either be marked for individual use or laundered daily. If individually marked, they must be laundered weekly or more frequently if needed. (That is why I launder daily, I don't want to have to write on my linens with a sharpie or rely on parents to supply.)

4. Covers. A light cover shall be available for each child's use on a cot or mat and shall be marked for individual use or laundered daily. If individually marked, they must be laundered weekly or more frequently if needed.
Blackcat31 09:34 AM 08-06-2019
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Our regs are two-inch minimum, so once they sleep on the 2-inch ones a few weeks, they won't meet the regs. They compress when they lay on them, that is when they measure them, not on the shelf. 3 inch was the only way I was able o finally "meet" the reg consistently.
Crossing my fingers that so far my state has no requirements in that department other than separate bedding for each child.

9502.0435 SANITATION AND HEALTH. . 11. Bedding. Clean, separate bedding must be provided for each child in care.

^^That is all the wording my regulations state...
Cat Herder 09:36 AM 08-06-2019
Crossing my fingers that so far my state has no requirements in that department other than separate bedding for each child.

9502.0435 SANITATION AND HEALTH. . 11. Bedding. Clean, separate bedding must be provided for each child in care.

^^That is all the wording my regulations state...
Oh, How I want to move so often.

I am just trying to hang on as long as I can. It feels like all the regs are a math problem to be solved. It would be so much easier if they just flat out told us what they wanted. Straight up.
Annalee 10:40 AM 08-06-2019
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
The kids never seemed to mind my old 1-inch mats either. I loved the extra space. Our regs are two-inch minimum, so once they sleep on the 2-inch ones a few weeks, they won't meet the regs. They compress when they lay on them, that is when they measure them, not on the shelf. 3 inch was the only way I was able to finally "meet" the reg consistently.

"Cots and Mats. Cots and mats shall be provided for each child who is two (2) years of age or older and who is required to take a nap and for each child under the age of two years who can climb out of a crib or other equipment approved for infant sleep.

1. Cot and Mat Construction. Cots and mats shall be of sound construction and of sufficient size to accommodate comfortably the size and weight of the child. Mats must be in good repair, washable, covered with waterproof material and at least two inches (2") thick.

2. Individual Use. Cots and mats must be used by the same child daily and marked for individual use. (That is why I buy each their own)

3. Sheets. Sheets or similar coverings for cots or mats shall either be marked for individual use or laundered daily. If individually marked, they must be laundered weekly or more frequently if needed. (That is why I launder daily, I don't want to have to write on my linens with a sharpie or rely on parents to supply.)

4. Covers. A light cover shall be available for each child's use on a cot or mat and shall be marked for individual use or laundered daily. If individually marked, they must be laundered weekly or more frequently if needed.
same here except they don't measure the mat when laid upon. I have purchased cots, though, because now that kindy doesn't take naps, I can't find the two-inch mats.
TaylorTots 01:00 PM 08-06-2019
Both pnp and cribs are ok with our state for infants and there is no guidelines for toddlers+ beyond that they have to meet the age and weight guidelines and be appropriate sleep furniture.
Mom2Two 11:34 AM 08-09-2019
I only use pnps, with a mini pnp for infants. This is because I use our bedrooms for napping (except for infants <6 mths--line of sight for them). Each child has their own, and I use quilts for sheeting to absorb body fluids. I've never had one leak through.

But I don't require napping. If a child won't lie down and sleep in a pnp, then they don't have to nap. But I'm also getting to the point where a child under 3 years who won't nap probably isn't a good fit here.
LK5kids 11:55 AM 08-11-2019
PNP for the 14 mo old. Sleeping bags with a blanket if sleeping on the rug that has a pad under it. If sleeping on hardwood floor a kinder mat then a sleeping bag and a blanket.

I provide the sleeping bag.

I Find them second hand for $2-$3. They provide a blanket that stays here.
Unregistered 11:35 AM 08-12-2019
2inch mats, beach towels instead of sheets ($10), fleece blankets ($15). The blankets and towels have been used for almost 7 years and still be in good condition. Each kid has own set that looks different from others (color, print). All of them have the same size. So, we fold them in the same way and keep in a drawer chest.
The setting of 12 kid's beds takes 10 minutes.
littlefriends 11:55 AM 08-12-2019

Me as well. I have a small house so no place to keep cots and I keep one full size pack n play put away out in the garage just in case I should ever happen to need it. Mine all have one “cozy” fluffy type blanket to lay on and then a lighter blanket to cover with and I tell the parents they need to be able to fit in the cubby so can’t be really big.
springv 05:00 PM 08-12-2019
We use cribs for our infants and cots for our 2 1/2-school agenda we change everything in fridays and the children take their blankets home to be washed and brought to daycare the following monday
Tags:pack n play, portable crib, portacrib
Reply Up