Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Daycare Child Crying All The Time
Unregistered 12:23 PM 03-31-2009
I have a 3 year old boy in my daycare who has been here for about 2 months. Initially he did pretty well transitioning into a new place. But it has all gone down hill from there. He has hit, bit, pushed, kicked & punched other kids in the daycare. Most incidents were unprovoked but some were typical 3 year old behavior. It seems like each week we have gone through a phase related to his behavior. The past 2 weeks his behavior issue has been crying. He cries over everything! If he is mean to someone & I tell him to apologize he cries. If he asks me if his mommy has called and I tell him no, he cries. It's constant and the crying can last as long as an hour at a time. So I came up with what I thought might be a solution I created a crying corner where he can go to be alone & cry. He knows it's not punishment and he can get out at anytime, I don't ask him to stop when he is there and he gets no attention or toys to play with. The crying corner does not deter him and only makes it so the kids don't want to play near where he is. Another thing that he does as I've already mentioned a little is he askes about his mom all day long. I reassure him that mommy always comes to get him and that she will be here after snack but he continues to ask. He follows me around the house asking my or telling me anything and everything about his mommy and that he wants to go home. At times he will play with the other kids but mainly plays by himself or cries or follows me around. I am at a loss with what to do with this little boy. Can anyone offer up some advise????

Thanks!
He's zappping my energy in Olympia!~
mrs.meg 05:08 AM 04-01-2009
Sounds like you are doing a good job, I would keep up the crying corner. Personally, you are doing much better than I would, that would totally get on my last nerve, simply because I was a big cry baby when I was little and I was so insecure, and I hated being that way.

I would also try not to baby him, encourage him to be independent and talk about what a big boy he is. Ask him to help you with things and try to show him that he is not a baby. I watch a 4 year old that is about on the same level as my 2-year old, and this is what I do with him. Best of luck!
Unregistered 05:52 PM 04-01-2009
Totally keep the crying corner!!! I care for a 3 year old that likes to cry when she doesn't get her way, doesn't like something, etc. I do a crying corner also and it helps so much!

I had a different one who had some transition issues at drop off and pick up. Together we made a book of our daily routine. I took a picture of him to go along with each activity. Then I just typed it on Word and put the pic in (ringing the door bell for drop off, sitting at the table for snack, a clock with the time Mom picks up, etc). I sent it home so the parents could read it with him and it seemed to help. It might sound like a lot of work, but it really isn't. Maybe print out 2 copies and keep one for him during the day to look at. I agree with the other post about giving him a job to do. That might help channel his energy better and away from wanting mom.
Patty 01:16 AM 04-02-2009
Sounds like our boy Jonathan at that age. We put together a little photo book with pictures of me and my husband that he could look at while he was separated from us. It worked for him. It might be worth a try.
Unregistered 07:11 AM 04-07-2011
I am a childcare provider and I have a two year old that has previously been cared for by her grandma. She has been in my care for two months now and does not interact with other kids. She follows me around wanting to know when mommy is coming all day long while crying. If I leave the room she screams. I comforted her very much the first month to make her feel safe and secure in our home and it did not help matters. I ask her to go and sit down if she is going to cry because it does start to get on the other kids nerves when they are tyring to play. I do the whole not giving attention when she is sitting and crying and she will eventually stop but will not play with the other children unless I am right there beside her. The minute I get up to do someting she follows me and begins to cry and ask when mommy is coming. I tell her mommy will be back soon, play and have fun then mommy will be here. We have tried the picture thing and that almost made it worse. She looked at the picture and cried all day asking where mommy and daddy were. I do not know what else to do for her. I am at a loss. I want her to adjust socially because it is so very important for her. But at the same time the other children are being affected by the behavior. I feel sorry for her because eventually she needs to socialize for school and other reasons. But at the same time I need to think about the other kids in my care. Please help!!!!!! I do not know what else to try.
Tags:adjustment period, behavior, behavior - effecting others, crying
Reply Up