Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I Am Being Too Hard w/ The Rules or Too Soft?
Unregistered 07:38 AM 02-05-2008
I have a home daycare w/ only 1 family right now. A 4yrold & a 9month old.
The contract that I drew up for the mother to sign is alot like regular daycares, in that it states that the child having a temp above a certain degree shall be picked up & not return until free of temp for 24hrs ect ect
I also have my 2yr old & 9yr old. The problem that I am having is the parent seems to act as though it should not matter if anyone is sick. Her reply was just to keep the child seperate from the others. As she has no more sick days left & she would not be paid for any more days missed & has no other options for care (husband is home but works 3rd shift) One big difference is that I dont charge her for the days that her children are not here.
This is making me feel bad like I am being unreasonable, & I am not a very up front person/stand up for myself type of person.
I am wondering what I should do or say? Am I being mean?
Nikki
Betty B. 12:18 PM 02-05-2008
You are being too kind. Most daycare charge for days that children are not in attendance. If those conditions are stipulated in your contract, then you need to enforce them. That is why you have a contract. If they signed it, they should understand it.
Marie 04:10 PM 02-06-2008
You are being run over. It is not your job to care for her sick child. It is HER job to work that out.
April 03:38 PM 02-21-2008
Regulations in our state say that if a child's illness impedes a provider's ability to care properly for the other children or that the ill child cannot participate in regular activities, they are to be excluded.

To keep an ill child seperate from the others is a challenge you should not have to deal with on top of your regular duties.
Unregistered 01:37 PM 03-19-2008
You are being too kind. Most states require that a sick child be removed from the situation unless you are running a sick care center. This is part of being a parent and her job complications should not be yours. I always tell my parents do you not pay your mortgage when you are out of town, no. These are your children and should be your top financial responsiblity. Unfortunately most parents put childcare expense on the bottom of their priorty list. you are providing a family service but it is still your business. Good Luck in the future.
Unregistered 05:31 PM 04-22-2008
What state do live in?

Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I have a home daycare w/ only 1 family right now. A 4yrold & a 9month old.
The contract that I drew up for the mother to sign is alot like regular daycares, in that it states that the child having a temp above a certain degree shall be picked up & not return until free of temp for 24hrs ect ect
I also have my 2yr old & 9yr old. The problem that I am having is the parent seems to act as though it should not matter if anyone is sick. Her reply was just to keep the child seperate from the others. As she has no more sick days left & she would not be paid for any more days missed & has no other options for care (husband is home but works 3rd shift) One big difference is that I dont charge her for the days that her children are not here.
This is making me feel bad like I am being unreasonable, & I am not a very up front person/stand up for myself type of person.
I am wondering what I should do or say? Am I being mean?
Nikki
What state do live in?
Tags:backbone - not, policies, rules
Reply Up