Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Need Some Advice On Terminating Long Time Family
kayla 06:14 AM 09-03-2012
Ok so I have a dilemma that I need help with. I myself have a 3 month old, and I also have a dcb who is 7 mos. I have posted about him before... He is constantly screaming, eating, or spitting up. Well he gets more attention then my own child because he is so needy. I am grossed out by him spitting up so much, he has an older sister that has also become a problem. She has started to throw tantrums that wake everyone up. The mom has also been rude on a couple of occasions in the last couple weeks.

So that being said I have decided I am going to terminate them. The only problem is I feel bad they are one of the first families I had when starting my daycare. Also they have been on vacation for 3 weeks, I feel bad when they start again that I will be terming them. I also dont know how to address the situation to start. I hate terming people, I would love all the advice I could get.... Here is what I plan on telling her, Im sorry brit but I need to give you my two week notice it's just to hard taking care of two infants. I dunno I will take all the advice I can get I hate doing it and I know it is part of the job it's just hard when you have had a family for a long time... Please help need to get rid of asap!!
Blackcat31 06:41 AM 09-03-2012
I can totally relate to you as I just termed a family I have had in care on and off for the last 15 years and it IS hard but making the decision to term is the first step. After I made up my mind that I was simply done and couldn't offer services any longer, I felt like a huge weight was immediately lifted.

What I did was write up a short letter saying I was no longer able to offer the family services. Something like this:

Dear DCF

This is written notice that I will be cancelling our contract for child care services. At this time I feel that I can no longer provide the care your child(ren) need. The last day I will be able to provide care for your child(ren) is Friday Sept. XX, 2012.

Please remember that per our contract agreement a two week notice (or payment) is required. If you should choose not to attend the last two weeks of care, I will waive the final two weeks payment.

I have included the number for the local Child Care Resource and Referal to aid you in finding new care arrangements. I wish you and your family the best and hope you are able to find care that better meets your needs.

Thank you,

Daycare Provider

For me, I had multiple little issues with this family that added up to a big headache on a daily basis and although it was super hard to do, once I jumped the first hurdle of just deciding to term, it was all downhill from there.

I would hand DCM the letter and simply say that you are having to give notice and feel badly but need to do what you need to do in order to make sure everyone's needs are met to the best of your ability.

If you think it is too much to care for two infants, just let her know that. She might be hurt and mad at first, but I think she will understand, even if she never lets on that she does.

Take a deep breath, write a letter and don't go into too much detail. Just state that you are terming and the last day of care and do it. It IS hard, but you CAN do it.
saved4always 06:57 AM 09-03-2012
I think Blackcat's letter is perfect. It is difficult to term but you will feel a great relief when you do it. I have termed a few families in the 8 years I did childcare in my home. It always felt like a great weight lifted when I gave that letter. Even with families that you have had for a long time, you only owe them for the childcare they have paid for; when the situation no longer works or affects your own children negatively, you need to change it. Just think of all the cuddle time you will be gaining with your own little one.
kayla 07:26 AM 09-04-2012
Thanks guys i just have to get up the courage to do it. I am such a chicken!
kayla 07:54 AM 09-04-2012
Also I have another question I close early fri and she is having someone pick up her child should I just give her a written notice or should I say something to her in the morning when she drops her child off, like I wanted to mention I have to put my notice in its just not working and then give her the written notice???
Blackcat31 07:56 AM 09-04-2012
Originally Posted by kayla:
Also I have another question I close early fri and she is having someone pick up her child should I just give her a written notice or should I say something to her in the morning when she drops her child off, like I wanted to mention I have to put my notice in its just not working and then give her the written notice???
Give her the written notice in person at drop off in the morning. Let her know that she can call you later if she has any questions.

I know it is hard, but take a deep breath and hand it over! LOL! Trust me, you will be so relieved when you do. The hardest part is handing over the letter...but you CAN do it!
kayla 08:13 AM 09-04-2012
Thanks blackcat i appreciate the advice
texascare 09:19 AM 09-04-2012
go with what Blackcat31 says! That woman can write beautiful letters and get the point across perfectly!!!
kayla 01:42 PM 09-04-2012
Blackcat just curious how long do you think I should give her... I was just going to do a week because technically in my handbook I can term with no notice, I just know after I do this I will not want to see her again.
Blackcat31 02:35 PM 09-04-2012
If you have it in your contract that you can term without any notice or doing a final two weeks, and you really really don't want to see her anymore, then I would probably offer her the rest of this week but if you think it will get nasty or really uncomfortable then I would give her the notice and be done.

Since the child is a baby that screams and cries all day and you have talked with her about it before then I would term effective immediately and not offer any more care since you have discussed the issue and the terming is probably not going to come as a surprise to her.
cheerfuldom 03:18 PM 09-04-2012
I always give an option of staying the two weeks past notice or leaving immediately and not paying anything for the final two weeks (unless it is an issue of aggressive behavior, in which case, I term immediately). I just personally think that I could wait it out for two weeks in order for this mom to have time to find a new provider. Even if she knew her child was having trouble, that doesnt mean that she is ready for immediate termination or that it is necessary in every case. I would suggest you give some sort of notice period if at all possible.
Reply Up