Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do You Confront Parents About What Children Say?
DaycareMom 04:59 AM 12-16-2013
DCB4 came this morning. Dad said he had a runny nose but other than that he was fine.

DCD leaves and DCB tells me "I got medicine this morning before I came here."
I asked him a few more times and he was adamant about that Daddy gave him medicine so "his body would feel better".

Would you confront parents about dope and drop or just leave it as it's coming from a child?
Cradle2crayons 05:03 AM 12-16-2013
Originally Posted by DaycareMom:
DCB4 came this morning. Dad said he had a runny nose but other than that he was fine.

DCD leaves and DCB tells me "I got medicine this morning before I came here."
I asked him a few more times and he was adamant about that Daddy gave him medicine so "his body would feel better".

Would you confront parents about dope and drop or just leave it as it's coming from a child?
I absolutely would. I don't confront about a lot of what kids say, but if it were related to dope and drop, yes.

I wouldn't confront with an accusatory tone, but I absolutely would ask the parents.
MarinaVanessa 05:24 AM 12-16-2013
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons:
I absolutely would. I don't confront about a lot of what kids say, but if it were related to dope and drop, yes.

I wouldn't confront with an accusatory tone, but I absolutely would ask the parents.
Yep. Same here. For me the dope and drop would be terms for termination so I would call and ask DCD about it. I would let him know what DCB said, ask what meds were given and what his symptoms were before they gave it. If it was a fever I'd have DCB picked up immediately. I'd also have a serious chat about medicating a child before daycare and exclude for 48 hours as per my policies and think about whether I'd be putting the client on probation or terminating.
ashleyh 05:53 AM 12-16-2013
Not usually but relating to sickness yes. It's putting other children at risk but more importantly not giving his body a chance to heal if he has something which could make him sicker.
AnneCordelia 06:37 AM 12-16-2013
I have called and asked...

"DCD Johnny said he had medicine this morning, and god forbid there is an accident I need to know what's in his system...what med did he have, in what dosage?"

If it is anything that could mask a fever I would send home.
DaycareMom 06:40 AM 12-16-2013
How do I go about asking without being accusatory?
I am afraid DCD or DCM will give some stupid excuse about him not really being sick. DCM has told me she medicates him at home for a cold - which is what he has now.
AnneCordelia 06:47 AM 12-16-2013
Do you cover meds in your contract? Mine says I must be notified if meds were given up to 8 hours prior.

"I just want to be on the safe side...and dcb said he had meds this morning. Incase of emergency I need to know whats in his system, so im wondering if he did have meds, and if so what med/time/dosage? Thanks so much!"
DaycareMom 07:25 AM 12-16-2013
Just sent a text:
"Hey Johnny keeps telling me he is sick and had meds this morning, but wanted to check with you. Did he have meds? Time? Dosage? I just want to be on the safe side. Thank you so much!"

That was 10 mins ago. No response.
Any advice on how to respond to her if she responds by saying "Yea, but don't worry, he just has a cold" - This is the answer I am expecting because like I said before, I know she has done it at home before.
crazydaycarelady 08:28 AM 12-16-2013
Maybe he does just have a cold and she gave him something to stop his nose from running. I would love it if some of my dcparents did that. As long as it is just a cold (and no fever) we can't exclude here.
Reply Up