Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Sometimes....These Parents!
organicdclady 10:21 PM 12-28-2015
I have a dcb who comes everyday but wed. I am closed thur and fri this week (yay for a mini vaca!) dcm asked if she could bring dgb because she has so many errands to do on wed. NO! Sorry, all other kids are out of town, not open. YAY again for an extra day off!
Then tonight I texted a new dcm whose baby just started pt a few weeks ago. They have been out of town for a week, just confirming baby will be here tomorrow? "No traveling all day but possibly wed and thur, very unlikely but maybe". This baby is not even scheduled to come either of those days. Should I tell her now I am not open or just wait to see if she asks to bring baby? I do not understand these parents who assume we are here whenever they feel like dropping off children. I always politely deny the request and reiterate that children are scheduled their contracted days and that is it, no exceptions. No dropping in without notice and approval. No switching days because I am closed on your contracted days. Not all providers contract PAID days off, but since I take so few during the year I do not have a problem enforcing it.
I just do not understand trying to sneak something in when I have told you so many times thats not how it works.
childcaremom 02:38 AM 12-29-2015
Originally Posted by organicdclady:
I have a dcb who comes everyday but wed. I am closed thur and fri this week (yay for a mini vaca!) dcm asked if she could bring dgb because she has so many errands to do on wed. NO! Sorry, all other kids are out of town, not open. YAY again for an extra day off!
Then tonight I texted a new dcm whose baby just started pt a few weeks ago. They have been out of town for a week, just confirming baby will be here tomorrow? "No traveling all day but possibly wed and thur, very unlikely but maybe". This baby is not even scheduled to come either of those days. Should I tell her now I am not open or just wait to see if she asks to bring baby? I do not understand these parents who assume we are here whenever they feel like dropping off children. I always politely deny the request and reiterate that children are scheduled their contracted days and that is it, no exceptions. No dropping in without notice and approval. No switching days because I am closed on your contracted days. Not all providers contract PAID days off, but since I take so few during the year I do not have a problem enforcing it.
I just do not understand trying to sneak something in when I have told you so many times thats not how it works.
I would text dcm back right now and I would use this as an opportunity to clarify your policies. "Sorry dcm, dcg is not scheduled for those days. Care is only available on xyz, as per your contract, and I cannot accomodate changing days." Or whatever your policy is.

I would also ask if that is clear and that she understands and refer her to her handbook the next time she asks the same question. Politely and professionally of course! I don't mind clarifying something once or twice but after that parents should get it.
Unregistered 08:21 AM 12-29-2015
I would say 'Ok, i don't have her scheduled those days. I won't be available this week but if you want to change your schedule with me we can do that starting XX'
daycarediva 11:21 AM 12-30-2015
Originally Posted by organicdclady:
"Sorry dcm I am unavailable to accomodate the additional days this week. In the future, I am only available to care for kiddo on the days you contracted for (specify days). If you want additional days, I (do/do) not have space and recommend you either contract for them if they are needed regularly or you can contact me to see if they are available 24 hours in advance and pay the drop in rate of X. Thanks. See you (next contracted day)."

New parent=time to set the policies straight!
kitykids3 02:36 PM 12-30-2015
Have her learn now while new before it causes problems later. Just reiterate her contracted days, so therefore you aren't available wed or thur this week. I have a policy that if they want to change schedule they do it in advance by one week. Three weeks if they are dropping hours.
Reply Up