Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>It Went Well, I Think!
KEG123 06:11 PM 01-31-2011
Well I had my first interview today... I consider it a success! I was really nervous at first, but luckily they were younger, like around my age, so I didn't feel like a "little kid" or something. (One of my fears, they'd think I was too young) We talked, the boys played and they said they'd most likely call me within the next couple days. Unfortunately their schedule would be more like a drop in at this point, but I'm ok with that since the mom is looking for a more stable part time job. (Instead of all over the place as it is currently)

Oh and yeah I had cookies *almost* made when I realized I was out of eggs. D'oh! So the house didn't smell all nummy like I wanted it to! Oh well!
DCMomOf3 06:14 PM 01-31-2011
Good luck. i really hope they liked you enough to sign.
broncomom1973 06:20 PM 01-31-2011
and it went really, really well. I was so freaked out, I stayed up until 4 a.m. early Sat., until 3 a.m. early Sunday and was up until 3 a.m. this morning (I cant get anything done in my house during "normal" hours because my kids just undo whatever I do, so I stayed up after they went to bed and got everything in good order. My daycare portion of the home is always daycare ready, but since they look at your whole home and mine is rather large, it took some time. I sent a bunch of stuff to the Goodwill store and sold some stuff. I have read so much stuff on here about bad surveyors and mine was absolutely wonderful. I was amazed at how easy it was and how well it went!!!
misol 07:29 PM 01-31-2011
I'm happy to hear that things went well for both of you.

KEG123 be sure to let us know if they sign with you.

broncomom, did you have violations or anything that they said you had to change?
Abigail 09:46 PM 01-31-2011
KEG123, How long did your interview last? Did you get a good vibe from the family? Each interview will get easier and easier. If you're still nervous, I would sit down now and write a few things that went well and things that you should change or do differently next time just to boost your self confidence more. I'm glad they were younger. That is my fear too is feeling like a little kid, lol, I'm the youngest in my family so I ALWAYS feel that way. My sisters don't treat me that way, but it is just something I will probably never grow out of.
momofboys 05:28 AM 02-01-2011
Originally Posted by KEG123:
Well I had my first interview today... I consider it a success! I was really nervous at first, but luckily they were younger, like around my age, so I didn't feel like a "little kid" or something. (One of my fears, they'd think I was too young) We talked, the boys played and they said they'd most likely call me within the next couple days. Unfortunately their schedule would be more like a drop in at this point, but I'm ok with that since the mom is looking for a more stable part time job. (Instead of all over the place as it is currently)

Oh and yeah I had cookies *almost* made when I realized I was out of eggs. D'oh! So the house didn't smell all nummy like I wanted it to! Oh well!
Yay! Glad it went well! that's too bad that it may be just drop-in but anything is better than nothing, especially if the mom looks for a consistent pt job. You know what I do (& what I did last night for my own interview since I did not bake anything) is take some dry cinnamon (1-2 tsp) & put it in a mug about 1/3rd full of water put it covered in the microwave for about 2 min. When you take it out you remove the paper towel & the scent it incredible!

My interview went very well last night too. My youngest son promised to behave so my husband didn't take him anywhere & it went VERY well. All the kids played well together which was a big relief. The mom was great & so friendly (she is actually the kids' grandma & has full custody!). The only downside came when we talked about summer break & I did not realize she needed FT care then. I don't want to do that so that may be the problem with me.. She really wanted me b/c I was willing to drive her youngest 4-year old DD to preschool (only 1 mile from my home) & she has had a hard time finding anyone to do it & I will! I did tell her I could be their "school time" provider if she wanted to find someone else in the summer or that I would be willing to do PT in the summer 2-3 days/week but I know that would be a hassle to have 2 providers. Hopefully she still will work with me.
KEG123 05:34 AM 02-01-2011
Originally Posted by Abigail:
KEG123, How long did your interview last? Did you get a good vibe from the family? Each interview will get easier and easier. If you're still nervous, I would sit down now and write a few things that went well and things that you should change or do differently next time just to boost your self confidence more. I'm glad they were younger. That is my fear too is feeling like a little kid, lol, I'm the youngest in my family so I ALWAYS feel that way. My sisters don't treat me that way, but it is just something I will probably never grow out of.
It was about 45 minutes, because they were aout 15 minutes late due to the snow. I actually called them as they were pulling in front of my house, woops! I was just scared I was getting stood up, lol. Anyways, I did get a good vibe, they seemed nice and happy to be there. I felt more at ease as things went on, but overall it was good. Their son played with my son, their foster child (their niece) was there and she shook things up a bit with being older (6) but it went well overall.
Little People 06:17 AM 02-01-2011
I am glad it went well!! Every time you do an interview it get smoother and smoother!!
Preschool/daycare teacher 05:28 PM 02-01-2011
May I ask how old you are KEG123? and Abigail? I'm always worried that if I started my own daycare that anyone who came for an interview would think I was too young and keep looking elsewhere. I feel the same way, like a little kid sometimes. Especially when I do something dumb when the parents are around! And with my personality (more on the quiet side, except around the children!), I especially think they'll think I'm too young and inexperienced. So glad to hear I'm not the only one who feels that way!
Wishing you luck on the potential new drop-in family!
Abigail 05:49 PM 02-01-2011
Preschool, I am 24. Most of the children under 8 or so think I'm old and I'll go along with it.
KEG123 04:15 AM 02-02-2011
I'm 23. 24 in May.
dEHmom 04:32 AM 02-02-2011
I'll be 26 in May, and I feel the same way, like people look at me like I'm too young.

I did 2 interviews yesterday and they both went really well. The first one wants to use me with a trial this week, and then starting next week. and the 2nd wants to so she says but just has to discuss with hubby. They are not looking to start until July though.

I was so nervous with a few of my interviews and others I wasn't. I think it depends on the feel of the person when they come in. I also have noticed the ones that I was nervous about, were the ones I wasn't too comfortable with. I think that's a good sign that the family isn't right for you. Of course being nervous the first few times is completely normal. It gets easier after the first few.
KEG123 07:46 AM 02-02-2011
Ok, so I'm curious.... how long should I expect it for them to take to call me back, IF they call me back? Yesterday was a huge storm, I was not expecting them to call me then... but I'm just curious... I thought it went well, but then again he's also drop in. So maybe they'll just call me when they need me? When they fill out his forms/ immunization records, etc (I did send them with papers to fill out)
Little People 07:50 AM 02-02-2011
Ok, so I'm curious.... how long should I expect it for them to take to call me back, IF they call me back? Yesterday was a huge storm, I was not expecting them to call me then... but I'm just curious... I thought it went well, but then again he's also drop in. So maybe they'll just call me when they need me? When they fill out his forms/ immunization records, etc (I did send them with papers to fill out)
I have this in my contract and maybe it can help you in the future;

Enrollment Requirements
Please keep in mind that enrollment is on a first come first serve basis and there is no guarantee that I can hold a spot open for your child. Openings are considered open till Provider accepts child/children and Parents Pay First Week Payment. Sometimes *********X has more than one parent interview scheduled for an opening. Then ******XX will call each parent and let them know which child has been accepted.

Before your child can be in my care, I require the following paperwork to be done and dropped off along with first week payment. I ask that you set up an appointment to meet with me at least 48 hours before care begins so that the paperwork and this agreement can be gone over in person so that there are no misunderstandings.
For all positions held longer than the agreed starting time, you will pay half the regular weekly fee for each week your child is not yet in attendance. This deposit is non-refundable should you choose not to enroll your child in ********* Home Child Care.
dEHmom 07:50 AM 02-02-2011
It can vary. Did they mention a starting date?

I wouldn't be upset if they didnt' call you. It might be a month or so before they call back if they are just looking for drop in whenever. But generally I think people will call back and return papers within a week.
KEG123 08:02 AM 02-02-2011
Originally Posted by Little People:
I have this in my contract and maybe it can help you in the future;

Enrollment Requirements
Please keep in mind that enrollment is on a first come first serve basis and there is no guarantee that I can hold a spot open for your child. Openings are considered open till Provider accepts child/children and Parents Pay First Week Payment. Sometimes *********X has more than one parent interview scheduled for an opening. Then ******XX will call each parent and let them know which child has been accepted.

Before your child can be in my care, I require the following paperwork to be done and dropped off along with first week payment. I ask that you set up an appointment to meet with me at least 48 hours before care begins so that the paperwork and this agreement can be gone over in person so that there are no misunderstandings.
For all positions held longer than the agreed starting time, you will pay half the regular weekly fee for each week your child is not yet in attendance. This deposit is non-refundable should you choose not to enroll your child in ********* Home Child Care.
But since this is drop in, I believe he said they wouldn't need someone this week. They are also currently attending another woman's daycare, as drop ins, so I wonder if they'd also have to give 2wk? No idea, hopefully one of them calls back so I can ask more Qs.
MNmamaOf4 08:28 AM 02-02-2011
I'm glad it went well for you. I had my first interview last week and it went well. But like you, I was very nervous and nervous they'd think I was too young, though I have 4 kids myself. I'm 28 and the couple I interviewed were close to 40 and I felt a bit intimidated at first, but it went really well and I think they are going to be a great fit, they start next week. Their baby is 2 weeks younger than mine. So it'll be fun having two close to the same age!

Keep us posted to on what they decide!
AnythingsPossible 08:35 AM 02-02-2011
You could call them towards the end of the week, or even beginning of next and tell them you just want to touch base and see what they were thinking. Tell them you were curious if they were wanting to attend so you know what spots you have available for other interviewing families.
When I've been in this position, I have called and said something along the lines of, "I'm going over my wait/interview list to see if you are interested in joining our daycare. Will Joey be joining us or have you made other arrangements?"
AnythingsPossible 08:38 AM 02-02-2011
KEG123---Were you the provider who was concerned about clutter and if your house was appealing to parents?? I could go back and search but I'm lazy The reason I ask, is that what I would do if I were you and you continue to have interviews and the families don't come, I would point blank ask them if there is something about your home or program that made them decide to go somewhere else. I usually always ask when a parent decides to go with a different provider, why they made the choice they did. I have gotten some interesting answers over the years!
KEG123 08:45 AM 02-02-2011
Originally Posted by AnythingsPossible:
KEG123---Were you the provider who was concerned about clutter and if your house was appealing to parents?? I could go back and search but I'm lazy The reason I ask, is that what I would do if I were you and you continue to have interviews and the families don't come, I would point blank ask them if there is something about your home or program that made them decide to go somewhere else. I usually always ask when a parent decides to go with a different provider, why they made the choice they did. I have gotten some interesting answers over the years!
Nope. my house is very clean
AnythingsPossible 09:19 AM 02-02-2011
Nope. my house is very clean
My bad!
That's what I get for being lazy and not checking old threads!
angelpayne24 09:23 AM 02-02-2011
congrats on your good interview. i hope they call back soon! good luck!
jen 09:39 AM 02-02-2011
My niece is 21 and a licensed provider. She and her husband have a beautiful home...prior to the housing crash it would have easily gone for 300,000, but they purchsed it after foreclosure for much less. She and her husband have two children. She's been very successful and although she was conncerened people wouldn't chose her because of her age, it hasn't been a problem.

She does come across as very professional and is in the process of getting her degree in child development. I don't think it's all about age...more about how you present yourself, your home, and your experience and/or education.
SandeeAR 12:28 PM 02-02-2011
If you want the house to smell good quick.....just put on a pot of water with a few drops of vanilla and some cinnamon, start it boiling and then simmmer. Works for a quick "good baking smell".
Preschool/daycare teacher 01:55 PM 02-02-2011
Thanks Abigail and KEG123 for sharing your ages.
Do you all think parents assume a person is younger or "too inexperienced" until they're married with their own children? It has seemed that way to me before. What I mean, for example, is they'd trust a 21 yr old who is married with kids before they'd trust a single lady without kids who is a little older (like 23, in my case). Even the children I have in my preschool class used to ask me if I was married or if I have kids. When I told them no, they'd ask, "so you're still just a teenager?"
Abigail 03:57 PM 02-02-2011
I just got married three months ago TODAY, my husband told me that as I was huggin' him goodbye and off to daycare this morning. All I was thinking about was groundhogs day,

I've met many mature and many, many not-so-mature young mothers so I don't think it has everything to do with being a mom. I had a nanny interview in November and one of the children said I was a good mom and his mom corrected him and said "She's not a mom" and it actually hurt my feelings I'm a mom to my three cats.

Many people seem to start daycare after they have kids so I guess it's just expected to already be an experience, older stay-at-home mom career. I don't have kids yet and hope to start daycare before I have any.
lvt77 04:28 PM 02-02-2011
Originally Posted by Preschool/daycare teacher:
Thanks Abigail and KEG123 for sharing your ages.
Do you all think parents assume a person is younger or "too inexperienced" until they're married with their own children? It has seemed that way to me before. What I mean, for example, is they'd trust a 21 yr old who is married with kids before they'd trust a single lady without kids who is a little older (like 23, in my case). Even the children I have in my preschool class used to ask me if I was married or if I have kids. When I told them no, they'd ask, "so you're still just a teenager?"
I think it’s a preference. I know that some people prefer younger care takers that are using more modern cutting edge ways of raising this era of toddlers, Some families are old school and will want that over new age ways. Don't think that someone looks down on you because of your age. I am quite older than you, but that does not mean that I have more knowledge, wisdom or even some times experience.
You got into this profession because you know what you are doing. It’s not like you are using these kids as your Ginny pigs. Yes along the way you will learn a great deal, but you have to start somewhere.
I have a DCD who does laws for a living, he always tells me how to do my job. I tell him to his face, you hired me because you know nothing about what I do, just as I don't know anything about what you do, so stick to that and let me do my job. Yes we have tension between the two of us....lol
Keep your head up and don’t let things like your age bother you.. I say you push the new age ways things are done these days and let that be your driving force…..Well that is unless you are an old soul…lol
KEG123 04:32 PM 02-02-2011
I think there are benefits to being older and benefits to being younger. So, really it is up to the parents and what they're comfortable with.
dEHmom 07:08 AM 02-03-2011
Originally Posted by SandeeAR:
If you want the house to smell good quick.....just put on a pot of water with a few drops of vanilla and some cinnamon, start it boiling and then simmmer. Works for a quick "good baking smell".
HAHA I was going to post this! Good thing I read the posts first!
Tags:first interview, interviews - first experience
Reply Up