Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>My Son Is Sick.....Did I Do The Right Thing??!
LaLa1923 04:53 PM 10-21-2013
My son is sick so I sent a mass text to my parents letting them know-

"Parents: Just giving you a heads up- I think my son (Noah) has caught a virus. It came on quick, as they often do. Please watch you child(ren) for any signs of illness. I'd rather not pass this thing from one child to another. Other than cleaning and washing hands, I'm not sure what else can be done. (as these are quite easy to catch) "

I think it was the right thing to do. They now have the choice to come or not. I am open, I just wanted them to know he was sick.

My DH seems to think I shouldn't have said anything yet.

This just came on about 2 hours ago.
cara041083 05:00 PM 10-21-2013
I think you did the right thing. In the past I have done the same thing and pretty much left it up to the parents if they wanted to bring their kids or not.
Cradle2crayons 05:14 PM 10-21-2013
The school called me at noon last Thursday to pick up my son from school after he threw up at lunch. I notified parents because I had all 5 daycare kids showing up at 2:00 pm. I let them know he would be in his room and away from all children and all of the daycare kids showed up.

His virus was milder than most (he has a heck of an immune system). He threw up once more at 4:00 pm and it was poof gone. By 5:30 pm he was begging for food lol.

He was back at school awesome as usual the next morning and so far, all is well.
JoseyJo 05:28 PM 10-21-2013
Originally Posted by LaLa1923:

"Parents: Just giving you a heads up- I think my son (Noah) has caught a virus. It came on quick, as they often do. Please watch you child(ren) for any signs of illness. I'd rather not pass this thing from one child to another. Other than cleaning and washing hands, I'm not sure what else can be done. (as these are quite easy to catch) "

I think it was the right thing to do. They now have the choice to come or not. I am open, I just wanted them to know he was sick.

Just don't expect anyone to keep their children home because they probably won't!
LaLa1923 06:44 PM 10-21-2013
I don't expect them to. I had a mom ask if she should keep her daughter home, I told her it was up to.her. I just think its fair to let them know, I'd expect them to tell me.
Scout 04:08 AM 10-22-2013
I always text them to give them the choice also. I do not close but, caan not kick my kids out! My oldest is battling a fever rkght now with no other symptoms and had coxsackie virus a few weeks back as well( kindergartener). DCB is sitting on my lap with h,f,mouth but, fever was on friday so he is back and acting fine. She thinks he caught it from ds but, there was over a week and a half between so I think no....I just worry that they will pull their kids(this little guy had bronchitis and now this on the past month and she kept him home quite a bit while my so. had coxsackie) but, I can not do anything more than I am. They wash their hands before eating and I clean toys if I see them in the mouth. I hope she knows this os normal for a new exposure to lots of kiddos!
daycarediva 04:14 AM 10-22-2013
I don't expect them to. I had a mom ask if she should keep her daughter home, I told her it was up to.her. I just think its fair to let them know, I'd expect them to tell me.
I always let them know as well. We just had confirmed flu go through here, my first 'spread' illness. If your child was in contact with any of them yesterday, they have already been exposed.
jenn 06:08 AM 10-22-2013
I do the exact same thing you did. If anyone in sick in my home, I notify the daycare parents and let them to decide what to do. Rarely do they stay home, but at least they've been warned!
Soccermom 07:27 AM 10-22-2013

I used to send out these types of messages all the time when I first started.I thought it was polite to warn the parents that my little ones were sick so they can choose if they kept their kiddos home or not. I also thought maybe they would feel bad for my little ones and assume they needed their whole Mommy but no one cared. Noone ever did. It surprised me that everyone still came. Sad.

I stopped sending the messages eventually.
Crazy8 07:30 AM 10-22-2013
Originally Posted by Soccermom:
I used to send out these types of messages all the time when I first started.I thought it was polite to warn the parents that my little ones were sick so they can choose if they kept their kiddos home or not. I also thought maybe they would feel bad for my little ones and assume they needed their whole Mommy but no one cared. Noone ever did. It surprised me that everyone still came. Sad.

yeah, this. I don't bother anymore.
Blackcat31 07:43 AM 10-22-2013
I think you did the right thing too.

I am curious though....will any of your parents now try to still bring their child IF they DO get sick?

Do they pay according to enrollment or according to attendance?

I just feel bad sometimes when we (as providers) do the right thing by notifying parents when our own kids are sick and then when one of their's does get sick, they still want them to be able to come since "they picked it up at your house anyways" ...kwim?
JenNJ 08:36 AM 10-22-2013
I used to tell parents when my kids were younger. Now my kids are old enough to stay in their rooms or the living room and watch movies while I work. I just keep them away from the dc kids.
Maria2013 08:39 AM 10-22-2013
Originally Posted by cara041083:
I think you did the right thing. In the past I have done the same thing and pretty much left it up to the parents if they wanted to bring their kids or not.
hope he feels better soon and no one else gets it
Familycare71 09:00 AM 10-22-2013
Originally Posted by JenNJ:
I used to tell parents when my kids were younger. Now my kids are old enough to stay in their rooms or the living room and watch movies while I work. I just keep them away from the dc kids.

If my 10 dd has a stomach bug I would tell families but otherwise they are just separate.
Meyou 09:08 AM 10-22-2013
Me too.
Play Care 09:16 AM 10-22-2013
Originally Posted by Soccermom:

My issue was that I had clients become upset with me because they felt I was putting the decision off on them - and that I would think poorly of them if they sent their kids. And I don't necessarily think that notifying families is the "right" thing to do. Per my contract my policy is this "At times a family member may be home with an illness even though I am open. In this case the family member will be kept separated from the group. Should any family member contract a highly contagious or potentially dangerous illness (strep, flu,etc) then I will be closed." I do not notify the families.
AnneCordelia 09:24 AM 10-22-2013
I only talk about my own health with the daycare families. My husband and children are not enrolled in my daycare and, therefore, arent subject to the illness policy. I found that when I used to notify parents of illness in my own family they would want to keep their kids home and not pay. Or they would be upset that their child got to be in the same home as my sick kids but I wouldnt care for their child.once they contracted the same illness.

I will discuss my health generally with clients. I will mention if "the children were exposed to a stomach bug/hfmd/strep etc. I never give names. I dont like playing the illness blame game at all.
Rachel 08:39 AM 10-23-2013
If my 15 month old has something I would exclude anyone else for I will either get my sub to help take care of him or the group (first choice), or close and pay out for the kids to go to backup (second choice, more expensive).

If my 5 year old was sick, I would judge on how sick he was (just fever sitting and watching movies okay, really throwing up and needing lots of care, not okay).

If my girls are sick (8, 9.5, 9.5), I would run as usual because they are old enough to take care of themselves and stay away from the daycare.
momofboys 08:58 AM 10-23-2013
This! My kids are all school-age (12, 10 & 6) so old enough to stay in their rooms. I used to tell parents about illnesses but not anymore. I find it doesn't matter to them & they will 99% of the time send anyway.
Play Care 09:28 AM 10-23-2013
Originally Posted by AnneCordelia:
I only talk about my own health with the daycare families. My husband and children are not enrolled in my daycare and, therefore, arent subject to the illness policy. I found that when I used to notify parents of illness in my own family they would want to keep their kids home and not pay. Or they would be upset that their child got to be in the same home as my sick kids but I wouldnt care for their child.once they contracted the same illness.

I will discuss my health generally with clients. I will mention if "the children were exposed to a stomach bug/hfmd/strep etc. I never give names. I dont like playing the illness blame game at all.

Familycare71 09:36 AM 10-23-2013
Originally Posted by AnneCordelia:

In my state my kids are part of my care until school age- so I felt it was fair to let them know and make the choice-
dingledine 12:34 PM 10-23-2013
My son was sick Monday, I told one of the parents, not the other. He stayed in his room all day... he is eight. My husband thinks I should have given them the option not to bring their children... after I mentioned to him that I had considered texting them all at 5:30am to let them know. When I give them the option to stay home, I let them know that I won't bill them for that day, if they stay home... or that is... I will issue them a credit.

If it were my four year old, I may or may not let them know. It depends on if she is throwing up or pooping all over or not. If she did that, I would probably have to close, and give them a credit. IF it were me like that, I would definitely closed. Other times she has been sick, without throwing up, etc, and I have stayed open, but told her to lay in her room, or down out of the daycare.
grateday 12:50 PM 10-23-2013
I am going through this right now. It is so frustrating because no one knows when it is going to happen but when it does happen it is too late because they have all been in contact with one another. I mean we wash and wash and become sippy cup police but then you have that one that oh I think it would be a wonderful idea to lick or stick my hand in your mouth. Kids are too young to know about germs even though I am constantly teaching them about it. Keeping toys, hands out of mouth, and covering coughs, and hand washing and not sharing drinks. It is a sweet gesture that they are willing to share but also dangerous for my son who has a lot of febrile seizures.

I would hope that parents are not blaming others. Illness happens to everyone no matter how diligent. I don't blame them, but it is hard when I come down with the flu as a provider and don't know until I have already had kids around. I mean the flu is so much like a cold and when you are so busy you cant go to the doc then it hits all of a sudden. If I was active febrile or another child was I would then at that point say they cannot bring there kids here for there own safety. Or if I knew someone had a fever then they would have to go home or if my own was febrile, I would send the kiddos home.

UGHHHHH I had parents with a stomach bug type thing and then an upper respiratory so I don't know.
Tags:notice of sickness, sick policy - provider children
Reply Up