Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Can A Provider Charge Whatever They Want Even If U Have A Contract Stating Set Prices
wade2ride 05:08 PM 02-25-2014
My child has been attending a certain daycare (which is a business) for over a year. the prices in their contract (that I still have) is as follows:
6 weeks to 18 months ..............$95 per week
18 months to 5 years of age ..... $75 per week

My son turned 18 months old 43 weeks ago and we're still paying $95 per week. I brought this to the lady in charge and she responded "I can charge you what ever I want" I replied "I don't know, I'll have to look into that. Are you charging the other 18 month to 5 year old parents $95 a week" she stood up and asked when was my sons last day here. I said my wife paid you for this week and next week so I guess it's next Friday. She said I have a smart @$$ mouth, then said "today can be his last day if you want" I said that's up to you. She then told me to leave and not to come back.

Basically I was just wondering if a Daycare provider can in fact "charge what ever they want" even if their contract has set prices. and is there any way to recoup losses for next week that I paid for but obviously wont use. ... and is there anything I can do about the $20 per week that I over paid for, for 43 weeks according to their contract?
daycare 05:20 PM 02-25-2014
Originally Posted by wade2ride:
My child has been attending a certain daycare (which is a business) for over a year. the prices in their contract (that I still have) is as follows:

My son turned 18 months old 43 weeks ago and we're still paying $95 per week. I brought this to the lady in charge and she responded "I can charge you what ever I want" I replied "I don't know, I'll have to look into that. Are you charging the other 18 month to 5 year old parents $95 a week" she stood up and asked when was my sons last day here. I said my wife paid you for this week and next week so I guess it's next Friday. She said I have a smart @$$ mouth, then said "today can be his last day if you want" I said that's up to you. She then told me to leave and not to come back.

Basically I was just wondering if a Daycare provider can in fact "charge what ever they want" even if their contract has set prices. and is there any way to recoup losses for next week that I paid for but obviously wont use. ... and is there anything I can do about the $20 per week that I over paid for, for 43 weeks according to their contract?
what does your contract say that you signed? Does it state that it will automatically change to the lower price once the age of the child changes?
KidGrind 05:22 PM 02-25-2014
I found your entry very odd. As a parent, once my child turned a certain age and fees should be adjusted I would’ve addressed it at that point. 10 months later is extreme.

I doubt they willingly reimburse you if your story is factual. I’d request any refunds due in writing. If they have a no refund policy you may be out of complete luck. Small claims court may be in your future.
daycare 05:24 PM 02-25-2014
Originally Posted by KidGrind:
I found your entry very odd. As a parent, once my child turned a certain age and fees should be adjusted I would’ve addressed it at that point. 10 months later is extreme.

I doubt they willingly reimburse you if your story is factual. I’d request any refunds due in writing. If the have a no refund policy you may be out of complete luck. Small claims court may be in your future.
yeah I thought that it was odd too.
I have different rates for children not PT, but once they are PT I am certain to make the necessary changes to reflect the new rate.

Was there something else going on?
momofboys 06:23 PM 02-25-2014

I wonder also why you are just now asking for the change in price after 43 weeks?!?!? Seems very strange to me. That being said those are very inexpensive daycare rates, even for my part of the country & I live in a LCOL area.
daycarediva 06:26 PM 02-25-2014
This screams troll. $75 a week ? 43 months paying a higher rate without saying anything?
Unregistered 06:34 PM 02-25-2014
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
This screams troll. $75 a week ? 43 months paying a higher rate without saying anything?
I am not the OP but daycare where I am is less than that.

There are several states that get very low weekly rates.

https://daycare.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43171
wade2ride 06:35 PM 02-25-2014
Yeah this is a first for me that's why I'm seeking advice. I'm in an inter-racial relationship with a mixed child (which shouldn't matter) and I've been accused of being a "racist" several times by her (even on a tape recorder) just based on the color of my skin.

But I read the contract once when we put our son in the day care over a year ago and never looked at it again. It has been in our file cabinet every since. Well I work 3 jobs at the moment and my wife works full time and goes to school.

You can count how many times I've been late picking up our son on one hand, but just so happen I was 10 minutes late picking up our son yesterday. I was welcomed rudely with her saying "I hope you brought your check book, I need some money". I said how much do I owe you. She said $5 a minute. I told her this is new, but I would bring it as soon as I could.

When I made it to the house I looked at the contract to find the late fee was $5 a minute you're late. Then I read more and discovered the price difference for the age of the child. So I paid her the $50 for the late fee today and as soon as i mentioned her pay scale she went off.
wade2ride 06:37 PM 02-25-2014
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I'm not trolling, I'm just trying to learn more about daycare services and find out if they can charge any price they want like the lady told me.
blandino 06:42 PM 02-25-2014
I mean, technically she can. She can charge whatever she wants. If your contract says your current rate, and doesn't make any provisions for the lowering if the rate at a certain age, then that price sticks. Even if it did, she is allowed to raise your rate. She should give you 2 weeks notice, if your contract calls for it. But yes, technically she can charge you whatever she wants, and if you don't agree, it is your decision to leave.
CraftyMom 07:46 PM 02-25-2014
Technically she can continue to charge the $95 because that is what you are contracted for. Should she do this? No, not in my opinion. Not if her policy says the rate is different at 18 months. However a new contract would need to be signed with the new rate.
coolconfidentme 03:11 AM 02-26-2014
In your defense, most parents do not realize what all in their contract until they have a question about it. My fees decline with the child's age. It states this in my contract & in my policy. Please reread yours to see what it says. If you do not have a copy of the policy, ask for one. If you feel you are over paying, you have a right to file a small claims suit. Just make sure you are well documented. I hope this helps.
KidGrind 04:22 AM 02-26-2014
Off topic:

One marrying outside of their ethnicity or race does not exclude them from being racist.

On topic:

I think the Center/Provider should honor her contract.
Great Beginnings 04:34 AM 02-26-2014
I think it comes to integrity on the providers part. My contract used to state a rate change after 2 years of age. I would approach the parents a month before to let them know exactly what pay week that would be reflected in.

I don't think claims court would do anything about the overage charges but you may be able to recoup the last week. Unless your contract says 2 weeks notice is required and the provider states you didn't provide notice and denies kicking you out.
MotherNature 04:52 AM 02-26-2014
If everything is as you say- the provider s extremely unprofessional. I'd go elsewhere. Why wait nearly a year to discuss fees though???
MyAngels 08:57 AM 02-26-2014
Originally Posted by MotherNature:
If everything is as you say- the provider s extremely unprofessional. I'd go elsewhere. Why wait nearly a year to discuss fees though???

I have it in my contract that fees are subject to change at any time which would cover me in this instance. Check for contract for wording to that effect.

Personally I'd cut my losses and find a new daycare provider.
Maria2013 09:40 AM 02-26-2014
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
Personally I'd cut my losses and find a new daycare provider.

My3cents 11:00 AM 02-26-2014
Yeah this is a first for me that's why I'm seeking advice. I'm in an inter-racial relationship with a mixed child (which shouldn't matter) and I've been accused of being a "racist" several times by her (even on a tape recorder) just based on the color of my skin.

But I read the contract once when we put our son in the day care over a year ago and never looked at it again. It has been in our file cabinet every since. Well I work 3 jobs at the moment and my wife works full time and goes to school.

You can count how many times I've been late picking up our son on one hand, but just so happen I was 10 minutes late picking up our son yesterday. I was welcomed rudely with her saying "I hope you brought your check book, I need some money". I said how much do I owe you. She said $5 a minute. I told her this is new, but I would bring it as soon as I could.

When I made it to the house I looked at the contract to find the late fee was $5 a minute you're late. Then I read more and discovered the price difference for the age of the child. So I paid her the $50 for the late fee today and as soon as i mentioned her pay scale she went off.
I would be looking for a new daycare. You get what you pay for. These rates are very low- The late rate is nuts. Shouldn't let anyone talk to you the way this lady has. Why didn't you read your contract before now? A good provider will have you knowing her contract by the time your done the interview- She doesn't want confusion on any end of things and wants her rules followed. What does Race have to do with any of this? I don't care- so long as your a good person you can be purple for all I care.
Reply Up