Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Columbus Day!
delferka 11:33 AM 09-30-2016
I have 7 kids and 6 of the parents have the day off on Columbus Day.. It also happens to be the most difficult child as well!!!!!!
I want to take the day off. It's not worth the Money for me. What would you do? It's not written in a contract or anything.
TXhomedaycare 11:49 AM 09-30-2016
Originally Posted by delferka:
I have 7 kids and 6 of the parents have the day off on Columbus Day.. It also happens to be the most difficult child as well!!!!!!
I want to take the day off. It's not worth the Money for me. What would you do? It's not written in a contract or anything.
I would. Your giving almost 2 weeks notice. I have in my contract that I take 10 unpaid vacation days and I would totally use one for that as long as I could give good notice.
delferka 11:59 AM 09-30-2016
So 10 days should be enough notice?
Blackcat31 12:00 PM 09-30-2016
Originally Posted by delferka:
Any time this happens, I just say something like

"Hey, it's not often that I can take a day off without inconveniencing a lot of families but the opportunity has come up for me to take Columbus Day off and while I know your child is on the schedule for that day, I will be closing so you will need to use your back up provider. As per my contract, the day is still (or is not) a paid day off for me."

Don't ASK....tell this family you are taking the day off. I require all families to have a back up provider so that when things come up, they don't have to take the day off too.
DaveA 12:14 PM 09-30-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

"Hey, it's not often that I can take a day off without inconveniencing a lot of families but the opportunity has come up for me to take Columbus Day off and while I know your child is on the schedule for that day, I will be closing so you will need to use your back up provider. As per my contract, the day is still (or is not) a paid day off for me."

Don't ASK....tell this family you are taking the day off. I require all families to have a back up provider so that when things come up, they don't have to take the day off too.
How I would approach it also.
TSDaycare 04:00 AM 10-03-2016
I added this holiday to my list because for 3 yrs in a row the same child was the only one here. This is also a conference day for our schools and would you believe I have parents ask me to watch their children every yr still! It's now become a family day of ours spent together doing something.
Play Care 05:48 AM 10-03-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

I had a family not be honest with me about working on a minor Federal holiday years ago. I learned to stop ASKING and start TELLING.
thrivingchildcarecom 11:03 AM 10-03-2016
Send a (short) memo, email, text that the daycare is closed on Monday for Columbus Day. Today is a week's notice. That's a good amount.

SIDE NOTE: I don't really believe in celebrating Columbus Day, but I do believe I need a day off! LOL. So a few years ago, I just added it to my annual scheduled holidays.
Reply Up