Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Haven't found my backbone
Unregistered 06:11 AM 03-13-2013
Friday is the day I'm suppose to let the parents know I'm closing the daycare. However I have been so stressed all week! Beyond stressed, I still can't find the backbone in me to do it and can't stop thinking about how it effects them! I need some sense slapped into me!
Zoe 06:16 AM 03-13-2013
Here's what I think about the day that I tell my daycare parents that I'm closing (although I'm still in the thought process of whether to close or not). Yes, it might be awkward and I'll feel bad that I'm leaving them. But it's better to tell them sooner rather than later so that they have ample time to find another daycare. They'll be more upset if you wait until the last minute.

Good luck!
Unregistered 06:29 AM 03-13-2013
I will def give them 4-5 weeks notice I'm just sick over telling them. I want to tell them on a Friday so they have time to digest it over the weekend but I just want to get it over with! I am just stressing because I feel they think I owe it to them to stay open till fall.
just_peachy 06:38 AM 03-13-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I will def give them 4-5 weeks notice I'm just sick over telling them. I want to tell them on a Friday so they have time to digest it over the weekend but I just want to get it over with! I am just stressing because I feel they think I owe it to them to stay open till fall.
That would make for the WORST summer of your life! Honestly, you're doing them a favor by not staying open that long. Could you imagine how much resentment you would feel? Even towards the kids, whether you wanted to or not. They'd pick up on it and that wouldn't be good for anyone.

The parents may not see it, but you know what's best. Every time you get cold feet, just re-focus on YOUR life and YOUR family and YOUR priorities. You aren't responsible for anyone but yourself.
wahmof3 06:42 AM 03-13-2013
Originally Posted by just_peachy:
That would make for the WORST summer of your life! Honestly, you're doing them a favor by not staying open that long. Could you imagine how much resentment you would feel? Even towards the kids, whether you wanted to or not. They'd pick up on it and that wouldn't be good for anyone.

The parents may not see it, but you know what's best. Every time you get cold feet, just re-focus on YOUR life and YOUR family and YOUR priorities. You aren't responsible for anyone but yourself.

Unregistered 06:45 AM 03-13-2013
Originally Posted by just_peachy:

I think why I'm having a hard time is because I know one is suppose to stay here till preschool in the fall and the other has a new daycare to start in August. They kept asking me what time I needed off for my wedding and honeymoon and when I said 2 weeks they couldn't take the time off and needed a new daycare. So one parent went and found one for August and put down a deposit. Now I have to close now so I feel like I've just caused them so much stress but at the same time I never told them I was closing or they needed to leave in August. Hey just couldn't cover the time off for my wedding. So I feel like they will be so mad!
littlemissmuffet 07:52 AM 03-13-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I think why I'm having a hard time is because I know one is suppose to stay here till preschool in the fall and the other has a new daycare to start in August. They kept asking me what time I needed off for my wedding and honeymoon and when I said 2 weeks they couldn't take the time off and needed a new daycare. So one parent went and found one for August and put down a deposit. Now I have to close now so I feel like I've just caused them so much stress but at the same time I never told them I was closing or they needed to leave in August. Hey just couldn't cover the time off for my wedding. So I feel like they will be so mad!
Seriously? This family couldn't give you deserved time off for your wedding so they ditched you for another daycare and YOU feel bad? This just goes to show that parents will always put themselves first - and so should YOU! Honestly, who cares if they are mad or inconvenienced... they are the ones who choose to react that way. 4-5 weeks is PLENTY of notice.
daycarediva 10:09 AM 03-13-2013
Originally Posted by littlemissmuffet:
Seriously? This family couldn't give you deserved time off for your wedding so they ditched you for another daycare and YOU feel bad? This just goes to show that parents will always put themselves first - and so should YOU! Honestly, who cares if they are mad or inconvenienced... they are the ones who choose to react that way. 4-5 weeks is PLENTY of notice.
THIS! I wouldn't feel guilty one bit for doing what is right for me/my family. They wouldn't either.

I think that once you tell them and get it off of your chest, you will feel relieved and the pressure will be off.
mama0609 12:52 PM 03-13-2013
I know how you feel and it took me over a month to get the courage to tell my dcf I am closing. It stressed me out so much! If I would have given the notice when I originally wanted to I'd be done with my daycare already...I ended up giving 5 weeks notice because I felt so bad about closing and wanted to make sure they had time to find another provider. Next Friday is my last day and it cannot come soon enough!! Just keep reminding yourself of all the reasons you want and need to close and keep telling yourself that this is what's best for YOU and your family and you do not need to feel guilty about it. Just do it! I have notice on a Friday as well so they could have all weekend for it to sink in. Good luck! You can do it!
Reply Up