Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>MMR reaction
Provider_Manda 05:35 AM 01-26-2016
Anyone have experience with the Mmr reaction!? One of my 1 year olds developed yesterday, scared me to death. Pediatrician cleared him for daycare, but now has diarrhea. have 6 kids 3 and under today may be s big chore today!!
Blackcat31 06:02 AM 01-26-2016
Originally Posted by Provider_Manda:
Anyone have experience with the Mmr reaction!? One of my 1 year olds developed yesterday, scared me to death. Pediatrician cleared him for daycare, but now has diarrhea. have 6 kids 3 and under today may be s big chore today!!
Its VERY common for kids to have diarrhea, irritability and other symptoms after vaccinations.

For those reasons I exclude for 48 hours after. All my kids get their vaccines on Fridays or when mom/dad have the following 2 days off.

If he has diarrhea, send him home. Exclusionary policies have nothing to do with contagiousness and everything to do with sanitation.

Diarrhea caused by illness or as side effects to immunizations is still a sanitary issue. I'd him send home.
Provider_Manda 06:42 AM 01-26-2016
His vaccine was 2 weeks ago he broke out in a rash from head to toe yesterday and diarrhea once yesterday and now today and extremely fussy.
Blackcat31 07:31 AM 01-26-2016
His vaccine was 2 weeks ago he broke out in a rash from head to toe yesterday and diarrhea once yesterday and now today and extremely fussy.
In that case, I would NOT contribute any of his current symptoms to his MMR.

He's sick.

Send him home.
Annalee 07:43 AM 01-26-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

He's sick.

Send him home.

Ariana 08:05 AM 01-26-2016

He's sick.

Send him home.
My daughter reacted to her vaccines and it developed within a half an hour and we had to rush her back to the Dr. This sounds like something else entirely. Rash and diarrhea sounds like a virus to me.
finsup 08:50 AM 01-26-2016

He's sick.

Send him home.

Provider_Manda 09:22 AM 01-26-2016
Found out they can react after vaccine as long as 26 days later. I feel bad for him, but no chance of her leaving school to come get him, especially after she took him to the dr. Yesterday. He's resting now, and ate really good. He's just miserable and wants mom.. It's sad. No way would I have left my son in the condition, even if he wasn't considered contagious.
Blackcat31 09:31 AM 01-26-2016
Found out they can react after vaccine as long as 26 days later. I feel bad for him, but no chance of her leaving school to come get him, especially after she took him to the dr. Yesterday. He's resting now, and ate really good. He's just miserable and wants mom.. It's sad. No way would I have left my son in the condition, even if he wasn't considered contagious.
Ok, so why is that YOUR problem??
Ariana 09:42 AM 01-26-2016
Where did you get this information and why didn't a pediatrician know?
Provider_Manda 09:44 AM 01-26-2016
Originally Posted by Ariana:
Where did you get this information and why didn't a pediatrician know?
The pediatrician did know, then I confirmed it from the cdc website.
Unregistered 09:46 AM 01-26-2016
I haven't had a dck have a reaction to immunizations in years. But before kids got so many, parents were always told that the mmr reaction comes 10 days after the shot. Have no clue if that is still true or if they might have refined some immunizations since then.
Provider_Manda 09:46 AM 01-26-2016
Ok, so why is that YOUR problem??
Why is it my problem that she won't leave school? I guess cause no one else will get him and I just feel bad for the little guy. This is my first time dealing with a vaccine reaction. So I was just looking to see if anyone else had dealt with it.
Blackcat31 09:52 AM 01-26-2016
Why is it my problem that she won't leave school? I guess cause no one else will get him and I just feel bad for the little guy. This is my first time dealing with a vaccine reaction. So I was just looking to see if anyone else had dealt with it.
Oh please don't think I was being harsh towards you!
I was immediately angry that you felt you had no choice but to keep him because mom wouldnt come get him.

It's okay to feel bad for him but you have to put it into perspective....he doesnt' feel well and he wants his mama. He should have that right.....and mom shouldnt be allowed to say no.

She can bring him to a friend or relatives and go to school anyways so you can't force her to care for her child but her refusal to come get him shouldnt be something you HAVE to deal with.

If you don't mind, that's okay too but understand that she (dcm) will more than likely feel you should never mind ever then since you didn't mind this time...kwim?

Ariana 09:53 AM 01-26-2016
The pediatrician did know, then I confirmed it from the cdc website.
oh ok! I was confused by your post. I don't think any of my DCK have reacted. It seems crazy to me that they could have a reaction that far out.

I would just handle the symptoms and exclude for diarrhea for 24 hours after last bout. Why is there no one else to get him? Do they have any backup care?
KIDZRMYBIZ 09:56 AM 01-26-2016
It absolutely does happen from MMR, and it takes a least 1 week for the reaction to happen. For my DCB it was 11 days after the shot. Same things...rash, aching, diarhhea, lethargy, and just overall crankiness. I explained to my DCM that I simply cannot care for a sick child, contagious or not, with 7 other healthy and rowdy kids to care for.

This is why it's a good idea to only enroll families that have support from extended family or even friends that can watch the child when he/she should not be at daycare on days where the parent cannot get away from work or school. I don't always follow my own rule though, and have taken care of kids out of sympathy for the child or the parent when really they had no business being in daycare. I think we all do at some point.
Blackcat31 10:00 AM 01-26-2016
Originally Posted by KIDZRMYBIZ:
It absolutely does happen from MMR, and it takes a least 1 week for the reaction to happen. For my DCB it was 11 days after the shot. Same things...rash, aching, diarhhea, lethargy, and just overall crankiness. I explained to my DCM that I simply cannot care for a sick child, contagious or not, with 7 other healthy and rowdy kids to care for.

This is why it's a good idea to only enroll families that have support from extended family or even friends that can watch the child when he/she should not be at daycare on days where the parent cannot get away from work or school. I don't always follow my own rule though, and have taken care of kids out of sympathy for the child or the parent when really they had no business being in daycare. I think we all do at some point.
Absolutely!!
.... but we should do that when WE choose to do it, not because a parent feels it's our problem or because they don't want to deal with it.
mommyneedsadayoff 10:12 AM 01-26-2016
Um, what??? Forgive me for being harsh, but if the doc says this a reaction to a shot, then they would not be in my care...period! Honestly, it sounds like a virus to me, but having a kid in my care who has been told by a doctor they are having a reaction to a vaccine is HUGE liability and not one I would be willing to take on.

Please don't take this wrong, but you are setting yourself up for failure and to be taken advantage of by this mom or any parent you allow to do this to you. YOU are not his parent and you should nt be responsible for him when he is sick. If mom cannot miss school, then she should find alternate care or she should leave class to come get him.

Just to add that you said there is no chance of her coming to get him. What if he starts having a reaction that includes seizures, high fever, ect? Can she not be bothered to come get him? A doctor does not get to determine who gets to come to your daycare...YOU do! Will the doc take full liability if the child dies in your care or has a serious reaction that causes you to be shut down and investigated? Sorry I am sounding so harsh (or dramatic), but seriously, this kind of stuff bugs the crap out of me.
MunchkinWrangler 10:57 AM 01-26-2016
7-10 days after the MMR vaccine can cause them to run a low temp and break out in a measles type rash, they are not contagious to anyone. But as a provider, I wouldn't take responsibilities for it even if its due to the vaccine. Varicella which is commonly given at the same time can cause a rash and is contagious to anyone who hasn't had chickenpox or the vaccine, so it's advised the child stay away from unexposed adults especially since chickenpox can be very bad for this age group. Diarrhea is a common side effect but yet again, I would exclude anyway. In my state, it doesn't matter the cause for the diarrhea.
Provider_Manda 11:02 AM 01-26-2016
She is the type of parent who has boundary issues, and feels that it's my problem when they are here. His dad works down the road, and the kids have been picked up by grandparents. It's a huge mess, and I hear it from my dh all the time. If most providers had a parent like her they would either quit or term.. Lol
After I read more into the Mmr and possible reactions it really worried me. Yesterday when I told her to call me cause he was broke out from head to toe she replied "can't you just give him some Benadryl?"
MunchkinWrangler 11:04 AM 01-26-2016
Oh please don't think I was being harsh towards you!
I was immediately angry that you felt you had no choice but to keep him because mom wouldnt come get him.

It's okay to feel bad for him but you have to put it into perspective....he doesnt' feel well and he wants his mama. He should have that right.....and mom shouldnt be allowed to say no.

She can bring him to a friend or relatives and go to school anyways so you can't force her to care for her child but her refusal to come get him shouldnt be something you HAVE to deal with.

If you don't mind, that's okay too but understand that she (dcm) will more than likely feel you should never mind ever then since you didn't mind this time...kwim?

I agree! It's a hard job sometimes because in our line of work we are responsible for the care of our children but at the same time we have to draw that very thin line to say, no it's the parent's issue, I'm just a caregiver. Most parents just like to throw money at the problem instead of step up and be a parent. I would write a new policy that exclusions are at your discretion only and if a parent refuses to pick up, it can be grounds for termination from your program. I would even threaten to report it, probably not do it, but mention that you need to do what's in the best interest of the child and the other children in your program.
MunchkinWrangler 11:10 AM 01-26-2016
She is the type of parent who has boundary issues, and feels that it's my problem when they are here. His dad works down the road, and the kids have been picked up by grandparents. It's a huge mess, and I hear it from my dh all the time. If most providers had a parent like her they would either quit or term.. Lol
After I read more into the Mmr and possible reactions it really worried me. Yesterday when I told her to call me cause he was broke out from head to toe she replied "can't you just give him some Benadryl?"
Wow! She's clueless! This isn't an allergic reaction and if it was does she realize that 911 would have to be called?!? It is simply the body's immune response from it. The MMR is a weakened live strain of the virus. But it works better than the inactivated vaccine from what I've heard. Sometimes children can get a slight mumps as well from this one too. This DCF sounds really hard to deal with, push and pull.
Provider_Manda 11:40 AM 01-26-2016
Originally Posted by MunchkinWrangler:
Wow! She's clueless! This isn't an allergic reaction and if it was does she realize that 911 would have to be called?!? It is simply the body's immune response from it. The MMR is a weakened live strain of the virus. But it works better than the inactivated vaccine from what I've heard. Sometimes children can get a slight mumps as well from this one too. This DCF sounds really hard to deal with, push and pull.
Oh they are!! Lol
Just last week she got in my snack drawer to get her dd a cereal bar!!! Who does that???
Ariana 11:44 AM 01-26-2016
Oh they are!! Lol
Just last week she got in my snack drawer to get her dd a cereal bar!!! Who does that???
Ah i remember that family! Now .i know why you feel so bad for the little boy. They suck
MunchkinWrangler 11:50 AM 01-26-2016
Oh they are!! Lol
OMG!! That was the same one! LOL, some people!
Unregistered 01:59 PM 01-26-2016
Would if it's not the immunization and then the rest of the Daycare gets sick?
Rockgirl 05:59 AM 01-27-2016
Dcm feels that it is your problem....but how do YOU feel about it? This dcm will continue to walk all over you if you allow it. You get to decide how to run your daycare. Dcm can decide if she wants to stay and comply or leave.
Provider_Manda 07:11 AM 01-27-2016
Originally Posted by Rockgirl:
Dcm feels that it is your problem....but how do YOU feel about it? This dcm will continue to walk all over you if you allow it. You get to decide how to run your daycare. Dcm can decide if she wants to stay and comply or leave.
I hate it, and I'll be the first to admit I have allowed her to walk all over me. I'm trying to grow this thing called a backbone, but it is hard! I hate conflict, and try to please everyone. But right now it has ruined my love for doing daycare. I long for the day I'll be able to work outside of the home to be honest. I'm not good at running a business
Rockgirl 07:25 AM 01-27-2016
I hate it, and I'll be the first to admit I have allowed her to walk all over me. I'm trying to grow this thing called a backbone, but it is hard! I hate conflict, and try to please everyone. But right now it has ruined my love for doing daycare. I long for the day I'll be able to work outside of the home to be honest. I'm not good at running a business
Believe me, I understand! It is hard. It does get easier, though! I'll admit it's easier with a brand new client to be upfront and firm from the beginning, than to start doing it with an existing client that already has the upper hand, but it is possible.

If you do want to change things, start by revising your policies, and send them home with families with a note attached saying something like "Please note the new policies regarding xyz. The new policies will be enforced effective immediately." Have everyone sign a sheet acknowledging they received it and understand.
Ariana 07:56 AM 01-27-2016
The absolute best thing you can do for your self esteem is to grow a backbone!! I remember whenever I would enforce a policy I would sweat and turn red and apologize profusely. Now I don't even bat an eyelash! It gets easier the more you do it. The thing is, most people don't even care! Most parents I have turned away because they have a sick child end up apologizing to me. You need to value yourself more. Think to yourself "what would this woman do without me"? I am much more valuable to her than she is to me.
MunchkinWrangler 08:01 AM 01-27-2016
It's hard, I'm still growing mine. The first thing I'm doing in writing a parent handbook, with an extensive sick policy, I'm making sure not to leave anything out. I'm also leaving no gray areas, it's black and white. People try to haggle and negotiate everything, that's the problem also.

I'm also writing in my policies that if a parent is unreachable for any reason or refuses to pick up their child when requested it's grounds for immediate termination and possible 911 call if it's medical. I know that seems extreme but technical if a parent doesn't pick up regarding illness it is considered neglect.
Rockgirl 08:06 AM 01-27-2016
Originally Posted by Ariana:
The absolute best thing you can do for your self esteem is to grow a backbone!! I remember whenever I would enforce a policy I would sweat and turn red and apologize profusely. Now I don't even bat an eyelash! It gets easier the more you do it. The thing is, most people don't even care! Most parents I have turned away because they have a sick child end up apologizing to me. You need to value yourself more. Think to yourself "what would this woman do without me"? I am much more valuable to her than she is to me.
I have had this happen, too! Even a dcd who was initially upset that I called him to pick up his dd who had puked during the night (older brother told me after I made a comment about dcg not looking well ). About an hour after he picked up, he called and apologized for bringing her. These parents know their children shouldn't be in daycare when they are sick. Sometimes they just need to be told!
Annalee 10:27 AM 01-27-2016
Originally Posted by Rockgirl:
I have had this happen, too! Even a dcd who was initially upset that I called him to pick up his dd who had puked during the night (older brother told me after I made a comment about dcg not looking well ). About an hour after he picked up, he called and apologized for bringing her. These parents know their children shouldn't be in daycare when they are sick. Sometimes they just need to be told!
I had one dropped off at 7:50 this morning after being home with diarrhea the past 2 days...by 8:30 I called for pickup and told them she could not return till the diarrhea had stopped. I do think some clients are like kids, you just have to tell them and that gets so aggravating for me lately....why can't they just do the right thing. I have said before I feel like "the enforcer" every single day to someone.
Reply Up