Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Considering Creative Curriculum...
Leanna 11:08 AM 07-03-2013
Does anyone have a sample lesson plan they are willing to share? I really like the framework of Creative Curriculum but am not making the full connection about how to implement it (wow I sound dumb!). I learn best with examples! Thanks!
SilverSabre25 11:16 AM 07-03-2013
It's not really about "lessons" per se, not as I understand it anyway. Admittedly I'm still a novice. It's a lot more abuot the materials that are available and the way the environment/areas are set up.

so for example, say you've noticed this group of children building a lot of spaceships with Legos and playing spaceman a lot. You could add space people/vehicles and pictures of space things/ships/etc to the block area. An astronaut helmet and jet pack out with the dress up stuff, and maybe a tent/large cardboard box fashioned like a space shuttle. Add books about space and astronauts to the library corner, set up an invitation to paint planets in the art area, or build robots or something. In the meantime, no one is really using the table toys so you put away what's out over there, and add other stuff you have available. since it's summer, you choose to make some table activities that happen to have a summer/beach theme and this sparks some children into playing "beach" in the sand table. You decide to add some more beachy props for them there...and so on.

Does that help? This is how I understand the implementation of the curriculum, anyway.
Heidi 11:22 AM 07-03-2013
I think Silver has the idea.

It's exactly what I've been doing for years. With our state's QRIS, they would prefer I write lesson plans and somehow document ahead of time how, based on the children's assessments, I am going to teach intentionally.

For me, that takes out all the spontaneity. KWIM? I think learning should be much more organic in early childhood. There's so much time for structured learning later...
SilverSabre25 11:30 AM 07-03-2013
Heidi i think it's possible to do a blend of planned ahead stuff and spontaneous stuff. Certain areas lend themselves towards preplanning and "themey" stuff. You can have "themey" art activities and table activities and books pretty easily, as well as plans for what to do outside. The other places you can "plan ahead" but what does the state know or care if you decide to change that plan? And if something comes up that you want to put out in addition to the planned stuff, why not? The kids can work with space materials and 4th of July materials at the same time!
Leanna 11:36 AM 07-03-2013
Yes, this is my quandary. I have always had a child-led constructivist approach where I plan activities based on the children's interests and needs and on my observations. What Silver Sabre described is what I feel any quality child care provider does. I used my own planning forms & do annual portfolios to document the children's growth and development. Now, with Quality Stars (NYS's version of QRIS) on the horizon I feel pressure to choose a curriculum. I am attracted to Creative Curriculum because I feel as though the things they highlight are the basis of a good program/provider. But I am fumbling to put it on paper. Maybe I am making it harder than it is?
Heidi 12:02 PM 07-03-2013
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
Heidi i think it's possible to do a blend of planned ahead stuff and spontaneous stuff. Certain areas lend themselves towards preplanning and "themey" stuff. You can have "themey" art activities and table activities and books pretty easily, as well as plans for what to do outside. The other places you can "plan ahead" but what does the state know or care if you decide to change that plan? And if something comes up that you want to put out in addition to the planned stuff, why not? The kids can work with space materials and 4th of July materials at the same time!
When I had 3's and 4's in my group, absolutely I would do that. But, with my oldest being a VERY part time 2 1/2 yo, I don't. 3 of my kiddos are under 6 months of age, plus a 19 mo, and the part-time 2 1/2 yo.

But, the thing is it's not just about planning ahead anymore. They want developmental assessments, then using those assessments, they want goals set for each child, then, utilizing the Wisconsin Model Early Learning Standards, they want activities planned around those goals, and then documentation of how the family has been "brought in" to the process. Rinse and repeat. It's all about "being intentional" and the "teaching cycle", and documenting.

I have no problem being intentional. But, my primary role is a care provider. I am not interested in being a "teacher". Infants and toddlers don't need a teacher. They need a responsive, loving, caregiver who keeps them safe, and offers them a safe place to play and explore and learn boundaries and other social skills. That's my story and I'm stickin' to it!
AmyKidsCo 02:06 PM 07-03-2013
Creative Curriculum for Family Child Care isn't a curriculum like we usually think of - it's not math activities, songs to sing, art do to, etc. It gives you suggestions for setting up your environment, routines, child guidance, etc. IMO it's more of a "Family Child Care How-To." That said, it's fantastic and I love it, I just don't want anyone to buy it thinking it's something it's not.

You can get a preview into the FCC book here: http://www.teachingstrategies.com/pa...child-care.cfm
Reply Up