Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How to Charge For This?
beachgrl 05:30 PM 08-19-2011
Hey all..i have a potential parent who is interested in care for three kids From like 9am-9:30pm when she originally wanted like 8 hrs. My Normal daily/drop in rate is $30 and i told her i would do $25 ea for 8 hrs but i dont know what to tell her now with it being on Saturday and sunday (making my week all week long w no days off) And i know its prolly hard for her to find care for 3 kids and since i am just starting out i can really use the xtra money. So what would you guys do/charge w it being such long days, Mom is a nurse i think and only works those two days per week.
KEG123 05:33 PM 08-19-2011
Nope. No way am I watching someone's kids 12.5 hours every day of the week. When do those poor kids ever get to see their parents?
Crystal 05:46 PM 08-19-2011
$125 per day. That's $50 each with a discount of $25 for the third child. Take it or leave it. She'll probably take it.
beachgrl 06:41 PM 08-19-2011
Sorry, its not everyday just every sat and sun..
I will just have other peoples kids during the week just to clarify
GG~DAYCARE 06:55 PM 08-19-2011
I agree with the $125. It is weekend pay!!
beachgrl 06:58 PM 08-19-2011
I was thinking an extra $20 ea per day but didnt want to make it so much that it'd be pointless for her to even work but with 3 kids. Its hard to get care especially with those hours.
cheerfuldom 07:35 PM 08-19-2011
I would never do these hours myself but if I did, I would charge $90 per day ($30 per kid, no discounts) plus at least $10 per kid for weekend pay. I really think that you will burn out quickly though OP and I really think this is a bad idea. Doing all day every day is just too much. When are you going to rest, run errands, spend time with families, etc?
Sugar Magnolia 05:46 PM 08-20-2011
Honestly, I wouldn't do it, for the sake of my family and personal hapiness. I advise against it. If you absolutely MUST do it for financial reasons, I would limit her to once a month. And she must make a "reservation" one week in advance. And seriously, I think it would be fair to get $300 per weekend for this "premium" service.

IMO, I would have to be in a serious financial crisis (as in no $ for food) to do this though. Sorry but even every other weekend would be....too too too much. What does your husband think?
beachgrl 08:32 PM 08-21-2011
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia:
Honestly, I wouldn't do it, for the sake of my family and personal hapiness. I advise against it. If you absolutely MUST do it for financial reasons, I would limit her to once a month. And she must make a "reservation" one week in advance. And seriously, I think it would be fair to get $300 per weekend for this "premium" service.

IMO, I would have to be in a serious financial crisis (as in no $ for food) to do this though. Sorry but even every other weekend would be....too too too much. What does your husband think?
Well we are getting close to that actually with both of us being in school and him being the only one really working right now. He makes okay but nothing by the time he takes out child support for his son and the 400+it costs him in gas going to work, plus I make over $3000 a month as a teacher and had benefits so we are taking a huge hit on income right now and I am worried what will happen until I get a full schedule of kids enrolled without the extra money.

He is all for it, he is very supportive of anything related to the child care business and wants it to be successful as well as he worries about the financial aspect as much if not more than I do right now. I do like the idea of having a contract and charging a fee if she backs out on days she had scheduled.
CheekyChick 04:52 AM 08-22-2011
I could not do it... I think working the weekends would send me over the edge.

With that said, I would charge $120.00 per day. She is a nurse who probably makes $25.00+ per hour. You are giving up your weekend. Oh, and I would write in the contract that if you ever have plans, you will have a regular "sitter" come to your house and she will have to pay the "above and beyond" fee that will be paid to the sitter. Does that make any sense?
beachgrl 10:44 AM 08-29-2011
I told her it would be $125 day for a total of $250 for the weekend. She was supposed to let me know something Thursday on whether she got the position but haven't heard from her so I don't know if that is due to the storm or her just not wanting to pay that much but she didn't seem to bat an eyelash when i told her how much.

Her mom is available as back up so if I want to do every other weekend or have a weekend off she can watch them but she has a full time job all week so she doesn't want her mom having to watch them all the time.

Maybe won't even hear back from her. I am working this week on getting some yard signs done to put around our town and getting a sign for my business out front so people know I am here and hopefully will get some more kids in with the additional advertising.
PitterPatter 11:03 AM 08-29-2011
First of all I strongly suggest you rethink the effort and personal time you will be sacrificing not having a single day off ever! I can see a total burn out within a couple months. It would be dif if it was for a few hours on Sat & Sun but your WHOLE weekend is gone! Do you have a family? I'm only asking because as it is with me having to work some Saturdays and only getting Sundays off I struggle to make time for family, cleaning, groceries, errands and me time all fit in. If you think you can do it then more power to you and I wish you luck but that is my 1st thought.

2nd I would NOT discount for her. Being she only needs care for 2 days per week and is a nurse then she can afford it. Charge your regular rate with maybe even a few bucks extra for weekend care. I say $30 per kid per day making it $180 per week. Average daycare costs that much or more so why cut her slack when you will be working hard for her. I will never do daycare 7 days a week I almost got burnt out doing 6 days at 10-11 hrs a day. I know my limits please just be sure you know yours as well. Good luck to you!
PitterPatter 11:07 AM 08-29-2011
Originally Posted by beachgrl:
I told her it would be $125 day for a total of $250 for the weekend. She was supposed to let me know something Thursday on whether she got the position but haven't heard from her so I don't know if that is due to the storm or her just not wanting to pay that much but she didn't seem to bat an eyelash when i told her how much.

Her mom is available as back up so if I want to do every other weekend or have a weekend off she can watch them but she has a full time job all week so she doesn't want her mom having to watch them all the time.

Maybe won't even hear back from her. I am working this week on getting some yard signs done to put around our town and getting a sign for my business out front so people know I am here and hopefully will get some more kids in with the additional advertising.
Ooops guess I should read all the replies and updates 1st huh?

A little help with signs.. I bought mine from vistaprint. Great deal and the signs hold up year round! I have both styles. Good luck to u and your business!
Tags:drop in care, drop in care rates, weekend - rates, weekend care
Reply Up