Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Daycare Room Questions
countrymom 10:54 AM 07-05-2012
do you have alot of books and how do you store them. I can't rotate them because I have no room. I don't want to get rid of them because I have children who come to me who have never seen so many books, and that they can acually sit and look at them (sad I know, but its starting to become a trend)

art closets/cabinets. Doesnt anyone have one. Every picture I look at, I never see art closets. Where do you store all your paints, and dodads (the stuff the kids can't use) I have a 6 foot cabinet and its filled. I need to organize it but don't know how.

I have never attatched anything up high, like a shelving unit in my room. For those who do, are you worried that its going to come crashing down.

entry ways, I need ideas. Where do you keep their coats. If you look at my pictures, I want to make that into my entrance way. Its becoming to hard for my kids to leave for school and have dcp's stand in the hallway blocking them. Dh can build anything. Do you think those ikea storage units will work. It looks like a step and has 6 large bins that you can use. I'll find a picture.
Truly Scrumptious 11:04 AM 07-05-2012
Not sure what your entry way looks like, but if you don't have room for cubbies, I know some providers who have hooks on the wall or a coat rack and the kids keep their things, including their coat in a backpack. Each child has their own with their name and/or their picture on it. One provider made tags to hang from the backpacks and laminated them. Some providers want the backpacks to go back and forth to day care because it's in their home and they don't want to look at day care clutter after hours. Other providers just leave them there all the time.
countrymom 11:21 AM 07-05-2012
Originally Posted by Truly Scrumptious:
Not sure what your entry way looks like, but if you don't have room for cubbies, I know some providers who have hooks on the wall or a coat rack and the kids keep their things, including their coat in a backpack. Each child has their own with their name and/or their picture on it. One provider made tags to hang from the backpacks and laminated them. Some providers want the backpacks to go back and forth to day care because it's in their home and they don't want to look at day care clutter after hours. Other providers just leave them there all the time.
thats a good idea.
Heidi 11:35 AM 07-05-2012
If you've got room UP, I suggest a wire closet shelving system around the perimeter of the entire room. Then, you can put toys in clear bins (or large pieces individually) for "overstock". If you have more clear bins in reach, the kids can "trade" you something. That way things don't get out of control.

I'm not saying let them only have 1 toy at a time or 1 bin at a time. It's approprate to have a nice selection out at all times, but you can have MORE stuff up high, and if they want to play with the dinosaurs, lets say, they could trade you something else.

You can make one side of the sytem for art supplies, like a bin for painting supplies, one for stickers and such, one for collage materials, and so on.

I have a space issue, too. I ended up putting an old dresser in the playroom (smaller bedroom) closet without the drawers in it. Each child has a space underneath for diapers and extra clothes. I use the top for a changing table, the closet shelf for my chemicals and plastic bags, and a coat hanger on the rack to put a plastic bag on to put used diapers and such right in. Then, after the change, the whole bag gets tied up and goes in the kitchen garbage, which goes out every day. Particularly stinky stuff goes out to the garage right away, though.

For my entryway, I do have cubbies. I have no wall space for enough hooks. Since I have an open floor plan, I am not fond the cubbies, but they work.

Is there another room that you can put a tall shelf in for overstock of books? Then have a basket or small book rack in the playroom for this week's selection? I wouldn't mind having books in my livingroom, for example, because they are not ugly day-care-y stuff.

Years ago, I had a lot of space for my dc. I wish I still did!
nothingwithoutjoy 12:14 PM 07-05-2012
Originally Posted by countrymom:
do you have alot of books and how do you store them. I can't rotate them because I have no room. I don't want to get rid of them because I have children who come to me who have never seen so many books, and that they can acually sit and look at them (sad I know, but its starting to become a trend)
I have (literally) thousands of children's books. They're stored in a wall-to-wall bookshelf in my bedroom, on a bookshelf in a hallway, in heaps and piles (yes, we're book-a-holics). I rotate out ones for the kids. They go into a very wide low basket on the floor, where I can put two rows of books for flipping through (maybe 40 are in there?), and sometimes another themed basket (summer books, beach books, whatever the kids are currently into). There are board books on a shelf (they were in floor baskets when I had more littles), and easy readers on a shelf, too. I love those wall shelves that hold picture books face forward (I "pinned" some here), and plan to build one some day.

art closets/cabinets. Doesnt anyone have one. Every picture I look at, I never see art closets. Where do you store all your paints, and dodads (the stuff the kids can't use) I have a 6 foot cabinet and its filled. I need to organize it but don't know how.
I don't have a playroom. Instead, I have an art studio. One wall is wall-to-wall built-in shelves, with art supplies. I'm having camera problems at the moment, but will post some pictures when I can.

I have never attatched anything up high, like a shelving unit in my room. For those who do, are you worried that its going to come crashing down.
Just be sure to get into the studs. I have a friend who circled the top foot of all her rooms with simple board-and-bracket shelves, where she stores lots and lots of books. Might be a good solution for your extras.

entry ways, I need ideas. Where do you keep their coats. If you look at my pictures, I want to make that into my entrance way. Its becoming to hard for my kids to leave for school and have dcp's stand in the hallway blocking them. Dh can build anything. Do you think those ikea storage units will work. It looks like a step and has 6 large bins that you can use. I'll find a picture.
I have hooks hanging on the wall by my door (they're very low, because there's a window there, but it works ok for kids' stuff.) I only have room for 6 hooks, so we end up piling stuff on, but it works. I also have a 10-cubby bookshelf from IKEA behind my couch, which you face when you come in the door, so it creates a sort of an entryway (the door comes right into our family room). Each cubby has a basket; each child has one for their stuff. I don't allow backpacks or diaper bags; they clutter up my small house too much.
Meeko 01:51 PM 07-05-2012
We have a coat closet in the entryway. I took out the rod and filled it with clear plastic drawers from Walmart. Each child has a draw for extra clothing, coat etc.

We put a long, low shelf to the left as a barrier to the main room (discourages parents from walking in as they would have to push past me and walk around it) and a place to put shoes. It also serves as a place for sign in/out sheets etc.

Hard to explain...I will get some photos up as we have changed it around.
countrymom 02:54 PM 07-05-2012
Originally Posted by Lise:
I have (literally) thousands of children's books. They're stored in a wall-to-wall bookshelf in my bedroom, on a bookshelf in a hallway, in heaps and piles (yes, we're book-a-holics). I rotate out ones for the kids. They go into a very wide low basket on the floor, where I can put two rows of books for flipping through (maybe 40 are in there?), and sometimes another themed basket (summer books, beach books, whatever the kids are currently into). There are board books on a shelf (they were in floor baskets when I had more littles), and easy readers on a shelf, too. I love those wall shelves that hold picture books face forward (I "pinned" some here), and plan to build one some day.

I don't have a playroom. Instead, I have an art studio. One wall is wall-to-wall built-in shelves, with art supplies. I'm having camera problems at the moment, but will post some pictures when I can.

Just be sure to get into the studs. I have a friend who circled the top foot of all her rooms with simple board-and-bracket shelves, where she stores lots and lots of books. Might be a good solution for your extras.

I have hooks hanging on the wall by my door (they're very low, because there's a window there, but it works ok for kids' stuff.) I only have room for 6 hooks, so we end up piling stuff on, but it works. I also have a 10-cubby bookshelf from IKEA behind my couch, which you face when you come in the door, so it creates a sort of an entryway (the door comes right into our family room). Each cubby has a basket; each child has one for their stuff. I don't allow backpacks or diaper bags; they clutter up my small house too much.

I like the book shelf idea (and I'm following you know) but I can see the kids ripping the books out. I need to take a picture of my books and that doesn't include what my kids have in their rooms. We read books alot (thank you thrift stores) I even buy books for christmas and give them to my littles.
My3cents 03:16 PM 07-05-2012
You Gals need to post pictures and the books sound just like me. I have one,two, three, shelves and wall face out and a basket full of books. My kiddo's love love love books. I rotate them around but some have to go on one shelf because of the size. I am always picking up books. If I paid full price for all the books that I have, goodness I think I would have a ton of money I also do a book club.

I wish I had a knack for organization, some people just seem to be so good at it. I am not one of those peeps, it doesn't come easy to me at all. Please post pictures if possible. Many Thanks- Thanks for putting this out their OP
My3cents 03:23 PM 07-05-2012
Originally Posted by Truly Scrumptious:
I like cubbies in the entry- they make a nice barricade for parents- I have my cubbies set up cute too. A little clear box with childs name on it for belongings to stay here. Parents put diapers in the bottom part. Love the idea of closet with the plastic drawers for each child. I don't have the closet. My daycare set up is very open. I like things staying here, so a backpack wouldn't work for me. Neat idea if it works for you.

Anywhooooo
countrymom 04:06 PM 07-05-2012
I'm posting pics in the picture forum part. I don't want other people to know who I am and I'm from a small town so people will know who I am. Let me look for my camera and I'll take some shots of what I need done.
Truly Scrumptious 04:36 PM 07-05-2012
There are so many different ways to organize....just depends on your space. We have a room in our basement I use for child care and there's a door that leads out to the 2 car garage. In the seven years we've been here, I've slowly pushed my husband out of the garage. Now he has one, little bitty corner in the back on the far left side. All the rest is day care. It's very organized, but it is a lot! Some of the items are things I pick up or save for providers that I may mentor to help them out. The rest is all mine.

I have used those big plastic totes all labeled with each of the months. But, I got tired of trying to pull out, and pick up and put back those heavy things. So then I bought lots of those giant zip lock bags. That worked for a while. Finally I took some cheap interior doors and hinged them together to create a fake wall unit to cut the garage in half. One half has some of those large white closet units side by side all around the wall with labels so I know what's inside. The other half (behind the "wall") has everything else that won't fit in a cabinet. It's as organized as it can be....kind of junky, but I've got walkways to be able to get to everything. Since it's hidden, it doesn't bother me.
moshimoshi 06:30 PM 07-05-2012
I have a book rack to display books and rotate them out. The other books are stored in plastic totes in my too-crowded office. I like the idea of the wire shelving though.
countrymom 06:38 PM 07-05-2012
I think we need a thread just on "book shelves" this is what my biggest problem is.
Crazy8 06:47 PM 07-05-2012
I have a 4 row canvas book sling type book shelf (from one step ahead) and its all board books. Paper books are kept put away and I take out about 10 a week that I will read. But my kiddo's are all very young (3 and under mostly).

I have one tall cabinet/shelf unit in my playroom mostly for craft supplies, its bolted to a stud in the wall so not worried about it falling. The bottom is a locked cabinet with paints, etc. in it. I have another BIG craft cabinet in the basement, I just bring up what we need from there every few days.

aside from my playroom I don't want my home to scream "daycare" when you walk in the door so coats are just put in my hall closet - its a big 6 ft. closet and double hung on one side so no issue with space in there. There is a "real" furniture piece by the front door that holds the sign in log, etc. and a shelf under that holds their lunchboxes/backpacks during the day. That's all I have for my entry. During non-daycare hours it doesn't look very daycare-ish. I'm thinking of hanging a dry erase board or something up there but again, I don't want it to scream daycare.
countrymom 06:57 PM 07-05-2012
hopefully this will work, but look at what I'm dealing with.

https://www.daycare.com/forum/album....&pictureid=434
Kiki 09:17 PM 07-05-2012
hopefully this will work, but look at what I'm dealing with.

https://www.daycare.com/forum/album....&pictureid=434
I have some suggestions for you, but it's late. I just wanted to say: You have Peek A Blocks!! them, my oldest DD was barely 1 when they came out, and we bought her all of them. Not even kidding. The only things we have left are the train, (and only the engine part), the dump truck, and a few blocks. I'm glad to see that someone else has them lying around too.
countrymom 04:31 AM 07-06-2012
Originally Posted by Kiki:
I have some suggestions for you, but it's late. I just wanted to say: You have Peek A Blocks!! them, my oldest DD was barely 1 when they came out, and we bought her all of them. Not even kidding. The only things we have left are the train, (and only the engine part), the dump truck, and a few blocks. I'm glad to see that someone else has them lying around too.
I have the dump truck, the gumball machine and the one you put the rolling ones and them fall from one side to the other. I bought most from a yard sale except for the gumball machine that was a gift for one of the my kids birthday. I take them out down every once in a while and they all love them.
Crazy8 04:47 AM 07-06-2012
please don't take offense but that space would drive me insane!!! I would seriously cut back on the number of things you have available for the kids - toys, books, all of it. Looks like you use a few rooms for your daycare, how many kids do you have? I would maybe find one free wall and fill it with all the same high bookcases (you said your DH can build, right?). Make it look neat and orderly where you can see everything.

I have a small room for daycare and only a handful of kids (my max is 5) so I just use those closetmaid pieces to "build" what I need. They aren't quite as heavy duty as others but they are inexpensive and sturdy enough for my needs.

Here is an example of one I have, its made up of a few different pieces you buy separately- a cabinet piece, then shelf piece and then a cubby piece. I have since added another shelf piece to the top to make it taller and it is bolted to the wall in 2 spots so very sturdy. If you could do a whole wall of something like this you would be able to organize sooooo much stuff!!!!

countrymom 05:19 AM 07-06-2012
I think I need one book case, right now there is 3 but they are small thats what the problem is. When I started long ago I didn't have so many books but little by little it accumulated.
Kiki 06:57 AM 07-06-2012
I looked through your pictures, but I have a question before I give you suggestions. How much of that do you use on a daily basis? Can you list more than 15 items in those rooms (by items I mean groups of toys that go together, I see doll houses so the dolls + houses=1 item and so forth you get the idea I'm sure) that the kids use on a daily basis?
My3cents 07:24 AM 07-06-2012
I take it that you have a store room for toys and you take them out into the other rooms?

I am not going to judge you, because just as some people like very little clutter and "things" there are others that love the fact that you have tons for the kids to do.

I would neaten what you have up, get rid of what you don't use or could do with out. I see some stuff that looks like it could fall onto a small child- but I am not sure if that is your store room or actually where the kids play.

Love the Peek-a-boo blocks, my only thing is that they like to throw them and knock each other with them. They are very hard. I sometimes think I like them more then the kids do.

Books- you can put them in bins- my kids seem to love to take out a bin and look through my books. It is another way to organize them and make them more accessible to the children.

I love the way you have organized your music cd's

Thank you to everyone that is able to share pictures- I enjoy seeing all the different type of set ups. From tons of stuff to streamline.

I did notice you seem to be geared towards girls more then boys-- just an observance.
Blackcat31 07:26 AM 07-06-2012

I have tons of books! I think I might have stock in Scholastic! I currently have rain gutter type shelving for books in my main area as well as a smaller set of rain gutter shelves down low in the infant/toddler room. I keep about 25% of the books I own and available to the kids.

The rest of my books are stored in rubbermaid containers according to season/topic/theme and are put out when necessary. I keep my rubbermaid containers in a small storage closet for easy access.

You are right about kids not always being familiar with having open and free access to books as many of my DC kids will sit and look at books for hours and seem to love being able to take one and put it back on their own....even the littles.

My art supplies are out and available for use at all time. I use a half shelf unit that has cubbies and have the supplies separated into bins and baskets so they can see what I have and use what they want.

The extra stuff that I have such as the gallon jugs of paint or extra paper is stored in a tall floor to ceiling cabinet that is locked and in one corner of the room.

I do not have anything attached up high and although I know that making use of the higher space is ideal since it is unreachable to kids, but higher up makes me nervous for several reasons and besides that, I am kinds short (5'4") and hate having to drag a step stool around so I keep things where I can reach them

I have a separate coat room/entry way that has cubbie units in it. The coat room is separated from the rest of the house by a half door/gate. Parents do not usually come past the half door although they are welcome to do so, it is just easier to drop their child off or pick up all in the coat room.

My DH built my cubbie systems and each one has a coat hook, a cubbie for shoes and a cubbie for a basket so each child can keep their things separate. The units are placed in an "L" shape along two walls. I have a huge storage closet in the coat room too as well as a bench for parents to use.
I answered in bold
Reply Up