Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Painting with Poop out of Anger
MCC 12:57 PM 06-10-2014
I have a just turned 2 year old DCB who was termed last Friday for continuous hitting, pushing, etc. He hasn't been napping for the past 3 weeks, but instead has been screaming (not crying, play screaming) during nap. It has thrown off the whole daycare, I've had to rearrange my whole nap set up just to get him by himself. I've also had to move him back to a crib, b/c he completely refuses to lay on a mat now without us literally holding him down. He slept on a mat for 6 months before this.

Today at nap, he screamed and yelled the whole time. I go in every 15 minutes and say "its nap time, lay down". At 3pm, there was no poop smell in the room, at 3:15 when I went to go get him, he had pulled poop out of his diaper and smeared it all over the crib, the wall, and his face. He is potty trained with the exception of naps, and even then, doesn't usually wet his diaper. I'm torn between feeling like this is just a baby thing, and feeling like he did this out of anger. I'm about to hand mom a check for remaining days and say peace out, don't come back.

My mind is blown by this child, he seems to truly enjoy hurting the other children, he gets the biggest smile on his face when he starts hitting. Yesterday, out of the clear blue sky, he walked over to a baby and whacked them with a "little people" bus. I was HOLDING the baby.

What do ya'll think, is this just him being a baby and naive, or is the poop thing a behavior issue??
Heidi 01:04 PM 06-10-2014
I'd say as a young two, it's an experiment gone awry.

Still, considering everything else, I'd probably say "enough" today.

Poor guy...I wonder WTH is going on. I hope they figure it out!
preschoolteacher 01:05 PM 06-10-2014
I would be done. The poop issue might have convinced me, but it was the fact that he's hitting babies with toys that sealed the deal. I'd term immediately.

In the future, if you give notice of termination for aggression, you can state that any further violent acts during the notice period will result in immediate termination.
TwinKristi 01:14 PM 06-10-2014
My DS used to do this at daycare when he was left in the crib for extended periods of time. His provider was probably sleeping off a few Bloody Mary's from lunch (learned about it way later) and left him in there. He did it once at home when he was left in his crib (he was awake but quiet so I left him in there while I finished something) but never did it again. If your plan is to keep him the rest of the week or two weeks and do this nap thing... I would just say no I can't do this anymore sorry. I think the only reason my provider was okay with how often he was doing this was because she felt guilty for drinking on the job and leaving him in the crib for so long. He rarely cried and was a very good baby and I could see her taking advantage of that and paying for it later. She would be out in the front yard scrubbing it down with rubber knee pads and gloves at pickup... She always did a good job cleaning it up, you'd never have known how many times it was pooped on! I realize now I was in denial about the whole thing and trusted her too much.
MCC 01:25 PM 06-10-2014
Originally Posted by Heidi:
I'd say as a young two, it's an experiment gone awry.

Still, considering everything else, I'd probably say "enough" today.

Poor guy...I wonder WTH is going on. I hope they figure it out!
I really hope they do too, I feel so bad for him. They have a new baby due in September, it's going to be a RUDE awakening for them.
MCC 01:26 PM 06-10-2014
Originally Posted by preschoolteacher:
I would be done. The poop issue might have convinced me, but it was the fact that he's hitting babies with toys that sealed the deal. I'd term immediately.

In the future, if you give notice of termination for aggression, you can state that any further violent acts during the notice period will result in immediate termination.
I do have this written in my contract, so I can use it, I just am really struggling with this since he is so young, but I also do not want to send babies home with bruises. YKWIM?
MCC 01:27 PM 06-10-2014
Originally Posted by TwinKristi:
My DS used to do this at daycare when he was left in the crib for extended periods of time. His provider was probably sleeping off a few Bloody Mary's from lunch (learned about it way later) and left him in there. He did it once at home when he was left in his crib (he was awake but quiet so I left him in there while I finished something) but never did it again. If your plan is to keep him the rest of the week or two weeks and do this nap thing... I would just say no I can't do this anymore sorry. I think the only reason my provider was okay with how often he was doing this was because she felt guilty for drinking on the job and leaving him in the crib for so long. He rarely cried and was a very good baby and I could see her taking advantage of that and paying for it later. She would be out in the front yard scrubbing it down with rubber knee pads and gloves at pickup... She always did a good job cleaning it up, you'd never have known how many times it was pooped on! I realize now I was in denial about the whole thing and trusted her too much.
Oh my, sounds like a lovely lady.

He is in there for 1.5 hours if he doesn't fall asleep, and if he does, I get him when he wakes up. If I let him stay awake, and roam around the room, I will go crazy. He has got to nap.
Shell 01:39 PM 06-10-2014
I would most definitely send them packing. These behaviors are not ok, and hoping they do something to help dcb- but there's no way I would put up with all that!
spud912 01:53 PM 06-10-2014
Yeah, I would term. If it were just the poop thing, I would do as Nannyde suggested and do backwards footed pajamas during nap time. BUT since he is hitting and it's getting worse, I would term. Although, I would probably term for a non-napper that's disruptive too....nap time is golden for me. Have you discussed the hitting with the parents?
playground1 02:15 PM 06-10-2014
I don't have much to say. Just wanted to thanks OP for the giggle when I read the title. Much funnier than the actual event, I'm sure.
CraftyMom 04:08 PM 06-10-2014
My son is a new 3. He's been fully potty trained for 8 months. He usually tells me when he has to go poop and then I go in and make sure he has wiped. Recently he has started quietly going in the bathroom to poop then wiping with his finger and smearing it on the walls and toilet! Disgusting! He laughs when I find him. I ask him why (WHY,WHY,WHY WOULD YOU DO THIS?!) He says I don't know, I want to see my poop!

Needless to say after a couple times of that I now make sure the bathroom door stays locked so he HAS to ask me to go.

Not sure if it's the same, but my son apparently just wants to see his poop! (and see it smeared on walls!)

Sometimes I just have to laugh or I might cry
MCC 11:48 AM 06-11-2014
Originally Posted by spud912:
Yeah, I would term. If it were just the poop thing, I would do as Nannyde suggested and do backwards footed pajamas during nap time. BUT since he is hitting and it's getting worse, I would term. Although, I would probably term for a non-napper that's disruptive too....nap time is golden for me. Have you discussed the hitting with the parents?
Oh Yes, his parents know about the violence. He is termed, I'm just allowing him to finish out his last two weeks. Just trying to decide if I want to send him packing before that.
Reply Up