Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>20 Minutes
Josiegirl 02:43 PM 11-28-2017
That's how long 5 mo dcb slept today.
Any hints to help him settle down for nap?
Pestle 02:48 PM 11-28-2017
Black magic.

Seriously, if active play, followed by a cool-down period with dim lighting, and a freshly-full belly, don't work for this one. . . I got nothing.

Even my usually-good sleepers have an off day. I've got a kid who always takes those d*** 20-minute naps. . . she's like that at home, too. Nobody's figured out a fix.
HappyEverAfter 06:53 PM 11-28-2017
I've got a 6mth old that has decided he will NOT sleep in a pack n play. Whenever I put him in one, he always wakes up within 10 minutes, usually in a screaming mood and will NOT calm back down enough to go back to sleep. I finally stopped fighting him on it and started sleeping him on a quilt on the floor of whatever room I'm going to be in while he sleeps. (I'm legally unlicensed in my state so there may be rules against doing this for some people.)
I also got him a super soft flannel backed blanket that he loves and we only use it at nap time.

When it's time to put him down for a nap, I hold him, pull the blanket up around his head and cover his eyes with it so he will calm down and I softly sing our "go to sleep" song while walking around. This takes anywhere from 1-7 minutes to get him on the verge of sleeping. When he is almost asleep, I lay him down on the quilt and stay there lightly patting his leg or bottom for a moment and then I get up and go about whatever I need to do. If he stirs, I go over and gently lay my hand on his back or leg for a minute and he usually falls back into a restful sleep. By doing all of this, I get several hour long naps out of him daily. On a really good day, I can get several naps lasting 2-3 hours each! (He is with me 10-11 hrs per day)
Josiegirl 02:25 AM 11-29-2017
Thanks to both of you. Yeh, it's frustrating. We went outside yesterday, he fell asleep on the way back in, in the stroller, stayed asleep while transferring him into the crib, but when I went to take off his jacket, his eyes opened and he was completely awake. His mom came at lunchtime to nurse him, he was exhausted, filled with good food, completely content, and pretty much asleep when she tried to place him in the crib when she left. But as soon as his little legs hit the crib, his eyes popped open and he smiled and that was it. Wide awake for the rest of the day!
He's really a great baby, very social, can entertain himself with toys as long as he's not overly tired, but doesn't seem to want to miss a thing.
The dr. told dcm that when he's ready for a nap, place him in the crib almost asleep, if he cries, to pick him up and settle him back down then put him in the crib again, each time. I could do that all day long.
Yesterday afternoon, I knew how exhausted he was so I dimmed the living room, got the dcks busy in another room, placed baby in his crib after rocking a bit and calming down. He started screaming. Couple more times of that and I finally gave up, brought him in with us, placed him in his bouncer and he was just fine, as long as he was with us. If he was the only dck here I could sit and rock him all day long. But I can't.
HappyEverAfter 05:41 AM 11-29-2017
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
Thanks to both of you. Yeh, it's frustrating. We went outside yesterday, he fell asleep on the way back in, in the stroller, stayed asleep while transferring him into the crib, but when I went to take off his jacket, his eyes opened and he was completely awake. His mom came at lunchtime to nurse him, he was exhausted, filled with good food, completely content, and pretty much asleep when she tried to place him in the crib when she left. But as soon as his little legs hit the crib, his eyes popped open and he smiled and that was it. Wide awake for the rest of the day!
He's really a great baby, very social, can entertain himself with toys as long as he's not overly tired, but doesn't seem to want to miss a thing.
The dr. told dcm that when he's ready for a nap, place him in the crib almost asleep, if he cries, to pick him up and settle him back down then put him in the crib again, each time. I could do that all day long.
Yesterday afternoon, I knew how exhausted he was so I dimmed the living room, got the dcks busy in another room, placed baby in his crib after rocking a bit and calming down. He started screaming. Couple more times of that and I finally gave up, brought him in with us, placed him in his bouncer and he was just fine, as long as he was with us. If he was the only dck here I could sit and rock him all day long. But I can't.
It's the worst having a baby who won't sleep. Even worse if they're a screamer. That's why I finally gave up on putting mine in the pack n play. He just wasn't having it and with other kids to tend to, I didn't have all day to go back and forth trying unsuccessfully to calm him down and get him to sleep. Praying and sending out happy thoughts that your little one sleeps better today!
Snowmom 07:43 AM 11-29-2017
Ugh.
I used to have one that I had to have the room pitch black with the white noise sound machine on full blast. That was the only way she would sleep.
Mom2Two 09:26 PM 11-29-2017
Would it be possible to get in some tummy times before naptime? It might be my imagination, but I think it makes my 5 mo dcb nap better. But he often only takes a 30 minute nap in the morning. I love it when it's an hour!
Tags:infant, won't sleep
Reply Up