Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Insatiable Baby... Diet?!
EchoMom 05:58 AM 07-17-2012
So the 10month old baby that I said was insatiable, his mom is sending super super healthy food but even less!! It upsets me very much, it's not enough!

Today he has for 8 hours:
6oz bottle
1 Tbsp salmon
1 Tbsp broccoli
1 Tbsp avacado
1 Tbsp chex
3 Tbsp greek yogurt

1 Tbsp is only like one bite for this kid!!!
Blackcat31 06:09 AM 07-17-2012
Have you tried giving the mom the chart stating how much food her child is suppose to be eating in one day?

If all else fails, then I would entertain the possibility of reporting her as starving a child is neglect and if it sounds like mom has all the necessary info but is still not feeding her child properly then you need to report it.

I would also feed the child myself and bill the parent for the meals provided as I would not allow myself to part of this odd feeding schedule/menu.
Unregistered 06:10 AM 07-17-2012
Originally Posted by glenechogirl:
So the 10month old baby that I said was insatiable, his mom is sending super super healthy food but even less!! It upsets me very much, it's not enough!

6oz bottle
1 Tbsp salmon
1 Tbsp broccoli
1 Tbsp avacado
1 Tbsp chex
3 Tbsp greek yogurt

6oz bottle for a 10 month old and only 1 for 8 hours wow my 5 month old eats 6oz bottles she should bring him 2 8oz bottles for 8 hours as far as the food does she feed him breakfest at home? If so I would say the yogurt and cereal is good for a snack but she needs to up the amount she is giving him for lunch about 3tblsp each thing. I would tell her if she doesnt bring more formula and food you will start charging her extra and you will provide it.
Truly Scrumptious 06:16 AM 07-17-2012
Maybe she's done some kind of research to support her choices...she's so precise in her measurements.
I would probably sit down with her and ask her, her reasoning. If you are on the food program, I would tell her that you need a note from the doctor for your records showing that the foods and amounts she's chosen are acceptable for a child his age.
Heidi 06:18 AM 07-17-2012
Did you give her the meal requirement charts that were posted here from USDA?

I would ABSOLUTELY give a set to all your parents, as well as your meal schedule, and INSIST that either you provide food according to these requirements (and are compensated for it)...or they do. New Policy.

The poor little guy is not insatiable...he's starving! Mom might need to see a doctor herself. Sounds like some major OCD!

PS: Why not join the Food Program in your area and just provide meals?
Fruitloops1 06:33 AM 07-17-2012

6oz bottle
1 Tbsp salmon
1 Tbsp broccoli
1 Tbsp avacado
1 Tbsp chex
3 Tbsp greek yogurt

10m and the baby is eating Salmon? I thought no fish until at least a year?

Anywho, have you given her a print out of recommended serving sizes for a baby that age? I wouldn't be able to do it, knowing that they are hungry all day. I would either a. feed the baby more and not say anything to the mother (but that’s not right) or b. unfortunately for the baby, term them. Clearly you and the mother don't agree on how much for the baby to eat. I feel so bad for the little one.
Or maybe try talking to the mom. Are you licensed? Blame it on licensing that you are not allowed to feed the baby less? Unless she provides a doctors note? I guess this is the downside on all of the “hype” about obesity in childhood.
I used hype because I can’t think of a better word for it. If the baby is eating healthy foods and is limited or even NOT given any junk at all then shoot give them as much broccoli as they want.
Poor baby needs food to grow, and good fat is so essential for them and their brains.

countrymom 06:59 AM 07-17-2012
I have to agree about the measurements, it seems odd that she is giving him only 1 tbsp.
You either need to report to licesning or call cps and explain the situation. If this is what she is sending to you, what is she doing at home. Maybe if a public health nurse came in, do you have the childs dr, call them and tell them what is going on. Start leaving a paper trail. also document everything that this mom is bringing in.
SilverSabre25 07:17 AM 07-17-2012
I agree with the idea that if she's not listening to your information, then perhaps a phone call or two is in order. She is NOT feeding that child enough. He is starving and it is going to start affecting his development soon assuming it isn't already. Poor guy.
youretooloud 07:22 AM 07-17-2012
I had a parent who did this to me. But, fortunately she was 14 months old, and I told the mom that I couldn't whithold food while the other kids were eating a full meal in front of her. The mom said "this is enough for a full meal, and several snacks".

This mom measured out each bean, and weighed all the food on a food scale, then brought me a food scale to measure it out. They asked me each day how many tbs of each portion she ate.

One day, the dad had to work very late.... past our dinner time, so she ate dinner with us. Dad nearly freaked when he saw that she was eating pasta...and wanted to know how much she'd had, then wondered aloud how he was going to work that off of her before bed time.

My daughter babysat for her last week, and the only food she was allowed to eat (she's five now) was a small tray with some tuna, peas, and brown rice. Fortunately my daughter now remembers to eat a large meal before going over there, because they lock up all the other food.
SilverSabre25 07:35 AM 07-17-2012
Originally Posted by youretooloud:
I had a parent who did this to me. But, fortunately she was 14 months old, and I told the mom that I couldn't whithold food while the other kids were eating a full meal in front of her. The mom said "this is enough for a full meal, and several snacks".

This mom measured out each bean, and weighed all the food on a food scale, then brought me a food scale to measure it out. They asked me each day how many tbs of each portion she ate.

One day, the dad had to work very late.... past our dinner time, so she ate dinner with us. Dad nearly freaked when he saw that she was eating pasta...and wanted to know how much she'd had, then wondered aloud how he was going to work that off of her before bed time.

My daughter babysat for her last week, and the only food she was allowed to eat (she's five now) was a small tray with some tuna, peas, and brown rice. Fortunately my daughter now remembers to eat a large meal before going over there, because they lock up all the other food.
some people are so d*** weird...
EchoMom 08:19 AM 07-17-2012
I don't feel like I can confront her about it anymore and I don't feel like I can term her either. This is a mom I've posted about before, she's pregnant and deciding if she's going to bring me both of her babies at my new higher infant rate or go elsewhere/nanny/etc. So she may already be out the door, although not until November. If I term her I feel like she'll think I'm just trying to kick her out so I can get someone new in at the higher rate when I fill her spot.

I don't feel like I can confront her anymore because we've already had several several polite conversations about it.

I have been semi-secretly feeding the baby extra portions of food for months now and she wants it to stop.

I can't do food program because I'm legally unlicensed but all of the other parents did voluntarily agree to a slight rate increase and now no one packs anymore and I provide excellent freshly cooked nutritious foods to all the other kids except hers.

It makes me extremely uncomfortable feeding him so little when he has such a good appetite for healthy foods. My own 10month old son eats only a little, but that's because he's still nursing a ton so he's certainly getting plenty to eat still.
Breezy 08:35 AM 07-17-2012
At 10 months old the majority of his nutrition. Is still going to come from his formula. One bottle is NOT enough. If she was bringing you more bottles and that amount of food I maybe would be more understanding but ONE 6 ounce bottle?? That is ridiculous. She is starving him as others have said. I think if she doesnt see it, a phone call to someone else is in order. she needs to be educated.
Truly Scrumptious 08:38 AM 07-17-2012
I'm sorry, but I wouldn't allow any parent to have that much influence over my own business.
If I wanted to terminate her, then I would. I wouldn't care what she thought. I would sit her down and tell her the truth and she could draw any conclusions she wanted.
Heidi 08:49 AM 07-17-2012
I don't feel like I can confront her about it anymore and I don't feel like I can term her either. This is a mom I've posted about before, she's pregnant and deciding if she's going to bring me both of her babies at my new higher infant rate or go elsewhere/nanny/etc. So she may already be out the door, although not until November. If I term her I feel like she'll think I'm just trying to kick her out so I can get someone new in at the higher rate when I fill her spot.

I don't feel like I can confront her anymore because we've already had several several polite conversations about it.

I have been semi-secretly feeding the baby extra portions of food for months now and she wants it to stop.

I can't do food program because I'm legally unlicensed but all of the other parents did voluntarily agree to a slight rate increase and now no one packs anymore and I provide excellent freshly cooked nutritious foods to all the other kids except hers.

It makes me extremely uncomfortable feeding him so little when he has such a good appetite for healthy foods. My own 10month old son eats only a little, but that's because he's still nursing a ton so he's certainly getting plenty to eat still.
I totally understand your dilemma. If I were in your shoes, however, I would consider that this is actually a form of abuse (IMO), and that you are actually making yourself party to it. He is not recieving proper nutrition. Are you opening yourself up to being held responsible?

If a parent told you to hit their child, or lock them in a closet, or do some other thing that is abusive, you could not go ahead and do it and say "well, this is what I was told to do". The "authorities" would hold you responsible, and the "parent told me to" excuse would not wash.

I am NOT NOT NOT suggesting that you are an abusive person. What I am saying is that the mother is, in a sense, comitting abuse by withholding proper nutrition. She is asking you to be party to this. It's a very vulnerable position to put you in, and I think you need some legal type advice!
Blackcat31 09:05 AM 07-17-2012
Originally Posted by Truly Scrumptious:
I'm sorry, but I wouldn't allow any parent to have that much influence over my own business.
If I wanted to terminate her, then I would. I wouldn't care what she thought. I would sit her down and tell her the truth and she could draw any conclusions she wanted.

Also polite conversations are pointless if she isn't listening. I am sorry but a starving baby is neglect and if you don't address it then you are party to it....kwim?

I don't mean to sound harsh or cruel but seriously, what mom thinks about your motives (if you term) or about you (if you are direct and matter of fact about this) should have no bearing on the starvation of a child.

What if something happens to this child (failure to thrive, signs of starvation, etc etc.) who do you think is going to be blamed?

I know it is difficult to have the uncomfortable conversations with parents but for lack of better words.....you HAVE to do it no matter how uncomfy when it comes to the safety and well being of a child!!!!

It IS part of your job and part of the duties that come with being a child care provider. Just like poopy diapers.....no one wants to do it but it has to be done.
Lyss 09:45 AM 07-17-2012
Only 6oz in 8 hours? Holy Starvation Batman!!!

My 7 month old eats 6-8oz every four hours plus a "meal" (1-2 tbsp oatmeal and 1/2 jar of baby food) in between and I wonder if she's not getting enough as she's a very lean baby.

My 7 1/2mo old DCB eats 5-6oz every 3 hours, mom and dad have just started to introduce solids. He's a chunk!

The poor child is starving! healthy nutrition is a vital part of growth and development! And the other thing too is by not addressing it with mom, because it makes you uncomfortable or you worry what she will think about you, means that you too are contributing to his poor nutrition and development and could be held partial responsible if anything ever came about. In my state I'm required, by law, to notify the state of any circumstances of abuse or neglect and poor nutrition is listed as a form of abuse and neglect. So if I didn't say anything I could be held liable, plus i would feel terrible!!

I'm not saying you don't feel terrible and your obviously concerned about it! You need to have a frank talk with mom and give her any information you have received from your nutrition program or licensing coordinator about proper nutrition at his age. if you feel that uncomfortable blame it on them, say the rules just changed and you can not feed a child anything that does not meet the state/federal standards in your program by law. I throw my licensing coordinator to the wolves all the time! lol!

PS... I thought no fish or yogurt under 1 year? that's what I was told by my licencing coordinator and nutrition program representative (and my pediatrician for my own child).
Heidi 10:16 AM 07-17-2012
OP- I am worried you are going to think people are attacking you now.. please don't think that! We are worried about dcb and we are also concerned about putting yourself in a situation where YOU could be held responsible!
countrymom 10:39 AM 07-17-2012
keep feeding him. How is she going to know whether or not your feeding him unless she is weighing him. If she is weighing him then you need to call someone to come and deal with her. don't let her nonsense detour you, nows the time to get a back bone. If you don't stand up for this child who will then.
Blackcat31 11:25 AM 07-17-2012
Originally Posted by Heidi:
OP- I am worried you are going to think people are attacking you now.. please don't think that! We are worried about dcb and we are also concerned about putting yourself in a situation where YOU could be held responsible!
yes this! Please don't think anyone is attacking you...... I am just really concerned about you being in such a tough situation and I know from experience that the provider is the one who has to deal with all the fallout should things take a turn for the worse. I really don't want to see you have to go through that.

Please talk with mom or term so you don't have to be part of this. Who cares what mom thinks about your reasons.....I care about YOU! If you term and don't think mom is going to change....you do need to at least make a report to licensing or CPS so the little guy grows and develops correctly.
AfterSchoolMom 12:07 PM 07-17-2012
At ten months, my DCB was eating three 6 oz bottles per 8 hour day, plus two jars of baby food - one at breakfast and one at lunch.

I totally agree with everyone else. I'd term, report, or both. If you do term, I'd tell her exactly why and who cares what she thinks of you...maybe it would open her eyes! So sorry you have to go through this.
youretooloud 12:30 PM 07-17-2012
Originally Posted by countrymom:
keep feeding him. How is she going to know whether or not your feeding him unless she is weighing him.
This is what I would do too. Let her believe he's only eating his one teaspoon of rice, but feed him what everybody else is eating.

He's probably getting too old for baby food, so just include him in everything everybody else is eating. (within reason) Let her micromanage his meals on the weekends, but you can quietly refuse.
Kiki 02:29 PM 07-17-2012
I'm at a loss of words at this point. I agree with all of the other posters here, but I'm starting to lean more towards the terming idea. I'd let mom know at pick up that she has 2 choices, 1-bring enough food for tomorrow, or 2-find another provider. This isn't a battle you should be fighting with her any longer, I just hope for the babies sake that mom picks choice 1, and he gets the proper amounts of food. Lord knows there are plenty of other providers out there that really would not know if that was enough food or not, and wouldn't second guess it.
jessrlee 03:28 PM 09-18-2013
Is this the same troll as yesterday?
MotherNature 03:50 PM 09-18-2013
Originally Posted by EchoMom:
I don't feel like I can confront her about it

I'd report to cps. It's going to be obvious who reported them for malnourishment though. I'd print out a sheet that says how much a child should be eating at that age. My own son has food/ growth problems and is udner the care of a geneticist, an endocrinologist, and a naturopath MD, but he rarely has much of an appetite. Getting him to eat is a struggle. If this baby is ravenous, I'd definitely feed him. If the parents are hostile call cps, & your licensor.
Rockgirl 03:52 PM 09-18-2013
Originally Posted by Kiki:
I'm at a loss of words at this point. I agree with all of the other posters here, but I'm starting to lean more towards the terming idea. I'd let mom know at pick up that she has 2 choices, 1-bring enough food for tomorrow, or 2-find another provider. This isn't a battle you should be fighting with her any longer, I just hope for the babies sake that mom picks choice 1, and he gets the proper amounts of food. Lord knows there are plenty of other providers out there that really would not know if that was enough food or not, and wouldn't second guess it.
I agree 100%.
Hunni Bee 04:01 PM 09-18-2013
Originally Posted by jessrlee:
Is this the same troll as yesterday?
Seems like it!!

What the hell? Why are people doing this?

Guys please DO NOT feed the troll. Don't make a single post in response to this imbecile, and he'll go away.
Willow 04:39 PM 09-18-2013
Never mind
Hunni Bee 04:42 PM 09-18-2013
Originally Posted by Willow:
Seems pretty black and white to me. Kids have some pretty basic needs whether you're licensed or not - they need to be changed, they need to be in a safe environment, and they need to be fed.

There wouldn't need to be a discussion about it, I'd just point blank tell mom I refuse to starve a child in my care. Her provided portions are grossly under what a child that age should be eating. I'd tell her she either brings more food or goes elsewhere.

There is no reason in the world good enough to let this continue under your watch Echo. If nothing else think about it like this....kid ends up dehydrated or with an electrolyte imbalance and passes out, develops a heart arrhythmia or worse....when law enforcement comes to investigate do you want to be thrown under the bus for the state of that child? And then quite possibly have the care of your own children investigated?

No more discussion. Compliance or term and report. Hopefully you've documented well so investigators will see you tried tirelessly to get her to see the light.
This thread is from July 2012. It just got brought back up because Trollface up there posted something dumb on it.
SilverSabre25 04:57 PM 09-18-2013
Move along, move along. Nothing to see here. Old thread with a stupid troll. Troll post has been deleted. Move along now, nothing to see...
Leigh 05:38 PM 09-18-2013
DIdn't see it was an old thread. Deleted.
Tags:eats - too much
Reply Up