Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Some Opinions
Unregistered 10:28 PM 02-05-2013
Hi all. I am unregistered and have been lurking for awhile. I am a former provider in a center in SC. I was terminated today and will not be going back to any childcare at all ever again. I had been at this center for a month and have been in childcare since 2007. Apparently there had been some parent complaints about myself and some allegations that were not true. My question is: today was the first time I had ever heard anything about anything g I was doing wrong. I feel I deserved to fix the issues that were given to me. Is one strike you are out the norm or what? I am confused, hurt, and very angry. Thanks everyone!
Starburst 12:38 AM 02-06-2013
Unfortunatly, being a successful child care provider is all about professional image. Many providers that have been successful for years can go out of business almost in an instant with just one complaint or bad review. Even if you get cleared....

A few years ago I heard about one local FCC provider who had a son who as about 10-12 years old at the time and one of the daycare moms made an allegation that the provider's son inappropriatly touched her 3 year old daughter. Later it turned out that alligation was false, but last I heard the provider was concidering just getting out of the daycare business because she did have some DCFs leave because of that false claim and she didn't want to subject her family to anymore false allegations.

This is why I have seriously considered getting nanny cams for my future business that can be looked into on a website by parents in a log in account.

It depends on the severity of the claim. But if it involves violence, drugs, or sex than yes- when you are in a career where you will be working closely with children a "one strike your out" is typically all you get. The center is basically trying to cover their @$$. Did they even tell you what the allegations were? I think they at least have to tell you that.
Willow 05:45 AM 02-06-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Hi all. I am unregistered and have been lurking for awhile. I am a former provider in a center in SC. I was terminated today and will not be going back to any childcare at all ever again. I had been at this center for a month and have been in childcare since 2007. Apparently there had been some parent complaints about myself and some allegations that were not true. My question is: today was the first time I had ever heard anything about anything g I was doing wrong. I feel I deserved to fix the issues that were given to me. Is one strike you are out the norm or what? I am confused, hurt, and very angry. Thanks everyone!

That really all depends on what you are being accused of.

Abuse, endangerment and neglect accusations are far more serious than simple misconduct or clerical errors. If they keep you on and give you another chance after having done something more serious, and then something else happens, they then become liable because they knew of your "history."

Keep in mind also that in most states employers don't have to have a single reason to terminate you for any job you do too. It's called at will employment. You can quit at anytime, they can fire you at anytime. Childcare is no exception.
coolconfidentme 06:27 AM 02-06-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Why were you terminated?
Sugar Magnolia 07:02 AM 02-06-2013
As a center Director, if parents made a single accusation of anything of a serious nature, such as harsh discipline or abuse, that employer would be immediately terminated. No second chances. Ever. Now, if it was something minor, like "Little Suzy says she doesn't like Miss S", then I would work with that employee. But it sounds to me that the OP was accused of something serious.
Country Kids 07:09 AM 02-06-2013
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia:
As a center Director, if parents made a single accusation of anything of a serious nature, such as harsh discipline or abuse, that employer would be immediately terminated. No second chances. Ever. Now, if it was something minor, like "Little Suzy says she doesn't like Miss S", then I would work with that employee. But it sounds to me that the OP was accused of something serious.
So you wouldn't find out if it was the truth or not? What if the parent made the allegation because they thought the person didn't like the child but knew the only way to get rid of them was to make something up?

We know it happens all the time-parents are expected to pay, get mad and turn us into licensing.
littlemissmuffet 11:01 AM 02-06-2013
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia:
Really? What if it later turned out that the claim was accusation was false? Isn't it your job as the director to protect both the children in your care as well as your employees?
If I knew that I was working for someone who would term me "no second chances" on just an accusation, I would quit asap!

I think that you need to reconsider your policy and have an accused staff member suspended until a complete and appropriate investigation is done before deciding to term or not.
Unregistered 02:39 PM 02-06-2013
Hi all. Original poster here. I appreciate the feedback. I was accused of "smarting off" to a parent and not wiping a child's face well enough. Nothing that I would consider serious, IMO. But I am not a parent. I am now back to my non daycare related job.
Tags:parents - accusing
Reply Up