Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Long Do You Allow
Unregistered 11:06 AM 01-05-2015
Nursing moms to stay and nurse? Just wondering if an hour is too long? Baby's been fed now she is cuddling with her. She didn't tell me she was coming she just showed up at nap time grrrr.
Leigh 11:08 AM 01-05-2015
I don't allow it at all. If they want to nurse, they may pick up their child and leave. I allow ONE drop off and ONE pick up per day. Parents may stop by at ANY time, but they will take their child with them when they leave.

If she wants to cuddle all day, she can do it at HER home, not mine. An hour of a parent visiting would cause utter chaos at my house.
AuntTami 11:19 AM 01-05-2015
Originally Posted by Leigh:
I don't allow it at all. If they want to nurse, they may pick up their child and leave. I allow ONE drop off and ONE pick up per day. Parents may stop by at ANY time, but they will take their child with them when they leave.

If she wants to cuddle all day, she can do it at HER home, not mine. An hour of a parent visiting would cause utter chaos at my house.
Same here. One pick up, one drop off. They're welcome to come earlier than pik up time but they HAVE to take their kids with them when they leave. Baby has to get accustomed to YOU BOTTLE feeding him. He'll never get used to it if she's coming all the time to nurse and really? Is she going to keep this up long term or is it because baby is so new?
Controlled Chaos 11:26 AM 01-05-2015
It would depend on if the child was in the same space as the other kids
, the attitude of the parent, temperament of the baby after she leaves. Those things matter. I am very supportive of nursing mothers but don't have a problem addressing problematic behaviors in adults and children I have been lucky with mostly respectful and appreciative nursing moms so far. Ex: if they want to nurse before taking baby home they arrive 15 min before I close so they are out the door by 5
Unregistered 11:30 AM 01-05-2015
I don't allow moms to come and nurse. They can provide breast milk and I will feed them with a bottle. It would be too inconvenient and it could easily be taken advantage of, imo.
lovemykidstoo 11:33 AM 01-05-2015
I received a message from my neighbor last week. She has a friend that has her baby in a daycare in the adjoining city. I guess she pulled her because the baby would not take a bottle and was losing weight. She's looking for a daycare that she can go to twice a day to breastfeed and wondered if I knew anyone. I don't, but told her good luck that if the baby is not taking a bottle at all at home, that there is literally no way she will at a daycare. Oh boy! I guess the lady was willing to pay $4.50 an hour The pay would be good, but no way, not twice a day and you know that would increase over time.
LysesKids 11:47 AM 01-05-2015
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
I received a message from my neighbor last week. She has a friend that has her baby in a daycare in the adjoining city. I guess she pulled her because the baby would not take a bottle and was losing weight. She's looking for a daycare that she can go to twice a day to breastfeed and wondered if I knew anyone. I don't, but told her good luck that if the baby is not taking a bottle at all at home, that there is literally no way she will at a daycare. Oh boy! I guess the lady was willing to pay $4.50 an hour The pay would be good, but no way, not twice a day and you know that would increase over time.
I actually allow parents to come nurse at lunch (between 11-Noon only), but then all my kids are 18 months & younger. The only other time they get nursed in my home is at pick-up, I do not allow nap time disturbances (12-2pm). My home use to be closer to a bunch of moms, but this new home is minimum 20 minutes out from all but one, so nobody nurses anymore at lunch, just bottle fed. I allow moms to go into the playroom and close the door so i can feed the others
Controlled Chaos 12:02 PM 01-05-2015
See, I would give this a try for a month. I would have super strict rules for where mom would be during feedings etc. But for an infant I would try. Now a child over one is another story.
KSDC 12:17 PM 01-05-2015
I am also open to nursing moms. BUT - I expect mom to schedule it with me, not just show up randomly. AND, I don't allow anyone to hang out in the house during nap time, ever.
I have had a couple of moms that nursed at my home on their lunch breaks. For me, it worked out. the moms weren't disruptive. And, it was one feeding that I didn't have to fit into my schedule.
lovemykidstoo 12:32 PM 01-05-2015
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
I actually allow parents to come nurse at lunch (between 11-Noon only), but then all my kids are 18 months & younger. The only other time they get nursed in my home is at pick-up, I do not allow nap time disturbances (12-2pm). My home use to be closer to a bunch of moms, but this new home is minimum 20 minutes out from all but one, so nobody nurses anymore at lunch, just bottle fed. I allow moms to go into the playroom and close the door so i can feed the others
The question is, if you allow it just from 12-2 and then at pickup and the baby doesn't take a bottle at all, what happens if the baby just needs what I call a "top off" at any certain time of day. I only had 1 dcm that asked to breast feed at pickup. It got to the point that she was there 20 minutes after I closed and I put a stop to that right then. She only lived 5 min away too and the little girl was over a year. I think it's absolutely wonderful if you can accommodate a breast feeding mom and it works honestly. All the other moms that breastfed have just brought me frozen breastmilk that I kept on hand here. For a mom to be coming and going 2 or more times a day though I would think would be highly disruptive. I just sent my neighbor a message to see what ever happened with her friend.
midaycare 02:49 PM 01-05-2015
I believe - although I could be wrong - that I have to allow it. If I ever ran into this, it would be feeding and then that's it. So ... 20 minutes? I dunno, I never breastfed ds. My milk never came in. It wouldn't bother me too much. I would stick dcm upstairs and continue our lives downstairs.
lovemykidstoo 02:57 PM 01-05-2015
Originally Posted by midaycare:
I believe - although I could be wrong - that I have to allow it. If I ever ran into this, it would be feeding and then that's it. So ... 20 minutes? I dunno, I never breastfed ds. My milk never came in. It wouldn't bother me too much. I would stick dcm upstairs and continue our lives downstairs.
That's what I wondered too is if you can legally say that they can't come in and breastfeed.
cheerfuldom 03:01 PM 01-05-2015
That's what I wondered too is if you can legally say that they can't come in and breastfeed.
This has been discussed over and over but for a home provider, we aren't legally required to allow others to breastfeed in our homes, just in general. Now specific states or licensing may have some restrictions but for the legally unlicensed provider, no you dont have to do anything. There is a lot of wiggle room even for licensed homes or centers. It is generally simple to say "I don't provide that service" and either the parents deal with it or find someone else. There is no way that a parent is going to come in and tell me I have do anything for them (legally unlicensed here). My house, my rules.
Unregistered 03:34 AM 01-06-2015
I'm also very pro breast feeding. I don't allow between 12:30-2:30 (nap time ). I've never had anyone stay an extended time. It might bother me, it might not. It just depends on the situation and the individual parent.
Second Home 03:39 AM 01-06-2015
This has been discussed over and over but for a home provider, we aren't legally required to allow others to breastfeed in our homes, just in general

If the regs change here we will have to allow moms to nurse in our home and provide a place with them to nurse in private.
LysesKids 04:10 AM 01-06-2015
The question is, if you allow it just from 12-2 and then at pickup and the baby doesn't take a bottle at all, what happens if the baby just needs what I call a "top off" at any certain time of day. I only had 1 dcm that asked to breast feed at pickup. It got to the point that she was there 20 minutes after I closed and I put a stop to that right then. She only lived 5 min away too and the little girl was over a year. I think it's absolutely wonderful if you can accommodate a breast feeding mom and it works honestly. All the other moms that breastfed have just brought me frozen breastmilk that I kept on hand here. For a mom to be coming and going 2 or more times a day though I would think would be highly disruptive. I just sent my neighbor a message to see what ever happened with her friend.
First, I said I don't allow between Noon-2pm (nap), before hand at lunch, yes... at pick up yes, but only for 5-10 minutes to soothe a child for ride home, other times, NO... I work a 6:30-6:30 daily and nobody ever stays past that lol
None of my kids ever went past a year old nursing here either. Because I do nothing but infants up to about 19 months it's not a big deal... I don't take older kids and my own are grown & gone (I'm a 16 yr widow). All my moms nurse just before dropping their baby off too and I do keep back up milk in freezer.

I also require that babies be able to take a bottle for at least 2 weeks before starting here, and not just from mom, but a friend or relative(not dad) & myself. If a baby won't let me feed them a bottle before day one, I tell mom & dad they can start a week later after they prove baby can be bottle fed, otherwise it's a no go with no refunds.
Meeko 12:21 PM 01-07-2015
I am simply not set up to allow nursing mothers.

All my downstairs rooms are designated for childcare. I do not allow parents around children not their own, and I refuse to make children all move to another room so that a mom can nurse.

Upstairs is my private home area. I tried allowing a mom to nurse there once, but it didn't work out. She was nice enough, but I still wasn't about to let someone hang out upstairs and me be downstairs. So I ended up having to hang out in the kitchen while she nursed in my living room. One day, she picked up the baby after nursing, and as she burped her...the baby threw up all over my beautiful couch. And she took f.o.r.e.v.e.r. to nurse. The mom had made it sound like ten minutes and she was done. She was often here for over an hour.

I finally told her how disruptive it was and she was wonderful about it, which was good.

I won't be doing it again. If it becomes a reg that I HAVE to provide room for a nursing mom...I just won't take nursing moms at all. If they say at interview that they want to nurse here(I will ask), then I will make a mental note not to choose them to fill the spot.

I am all for nursing. I have a baby here now who's mom pumps and brings me the milk. No problem at all. She works too far away to come and nurse anyway. But moms cannot expect home daycare providers to change their whole routines to allow nursing.
renodeb 09:18 PM 01-12-2015
I have had maybe 3 breast feeding moms that asked (in advance) to come and nurse around lunch time and luckily they did not abuse it. The way my house is designed is that I have a small den area as you enter the front door so moms can nurse out there while I go on with things in the dc area. I would think that 30 minutes max is long enough.
Deb
Tags:breastfeeding, nursing
Reply Up