Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>12 hr day for under 2?
auntymimi 08:00 AM 08-11-2015
still looking for the right fit for my under 2 spot. What are the longest hours you all keep under 2's for on a regular basis? I don't have a ton of experience with that age, besides my own of course, but most of my littles are "done" with daycare at about the 10 hr mark. Maybe babies are easier with long hours? I keep getting calls for 11-12 hr workdays, so it would be 12-13 hrs in care. Would be 3 or 4 days a week. Much obliged.
Thriftylady 08:23 AM 08-11-2015
I would ask the parents how many days per week. Hubby has worked 12 hour days before. One place it was 5 days a week. Another place it was 3 days one week and 4 days the next week. If it was a shorter week, I would consider it.
childcaremom 09:03 AM 08-11-2015
The longest I keep children in care is 10 hours.

I might consider it if it were 3-4 days/week, and child arrived early and left at a decent time (not cutting into my family time in evening).

I find that most of my littles are done by 9/9.5 hours. But if this is the reality for the child and parents' work hours, they will adjust to it, just like everyone does. If they come early, you could lay back down, and if they stay later, I wouldn't have anything planned but quiet play, stories, etc.
Blackcat31 09:09 AM 08-11-2015
I am a business wanting/needing to make a profit.

I have no limit on the number of hours or days a child can be in care.

I charge according to pick up time/number of days a week.

I don't care why they need/want that many hours/days....only that they pay my rate and follow my policies.

Setting a limit to how many hours a child is in care is not a guarantee that the child will get face time with family...they can just as easily get picked up from daycare and dumped at another caregivers...

I can't change how others parent, only how I operate my business and I have it set up in a way that those who do use the most care, pay a premium for it.
Play Care 09:45 AM 08-11-2015
Originally Posted by auntymimi:
still looking for the right fit for my under 2 spot. What are the longest hours you all keep under 2's for on a regular basis? I don't have a ton of experience with that age, besides my own of course, but most of my littles are "done" with daycare at about the 10 hr mark. Maybe babies are easier with long hours? I keep getting calls for 11-12 hr workdays, so it would be 12-13 hrs in care. Would be 3 or 4 days a week. Much obliged.
For me it's not about the kids, it's about ME. I can't work those hours or I would get burned out.

That said, if the money were *exceptionally* good I might consider it, short term.
littletots 10:06 AM 08-11-2015
I am open 9hrs. Most p/u using less than 8.5 hrs. I'm upfront about my hrs. If parents need longer day we're not a match. Set your hrs by how this affects your family. We can't accommodate everyone.
Thriftylady 10:09 AM 08-11-2015
I do accommodate the 12 hour shifts. I do it for two reasons, right now I can't be so picky about hours I am just trying to find some good families. If good families come with odd hours I can deal with that. Also DH has had so many jobs that required 12 hour work days, his job now requires 14 most days, so I understand the need. People need care for the hours they work.

Now if a parent was just out running errands and such then no I won't do 12 hours.
finsup 10:14 AM 08-11-2015
I may consider it for the right family, but those are really long days! It would really have to be worth it money wise to take that time away from my own family. But I wouldn't be 100% against it, just would depend on the situation!
Thriftylady 10:25 AM 08-11-2015
Originally Posted by finsup:
I may consider it for the right family, but those are really long days! It would really have to be worth it money wise to take that time away from my own family. But I wouldn't be 100% against it, just would depend on the situation!
It does depend on every provider's family circumstance. With hubby being a truck driver I never know when he may be home. My youngest is 17, so she is off doing her own things. So in my case, I don't have much to work around in the way of family. Way back when hubby worked 8 hour days and the kids were little I wouldn't have done it.
midaycare 10:45 AM 08-11-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I am a business wanting/needing to make a profit.

I have no limit on the number of hours or days a child can be in care.

I charge according to pick up time/number of days a week.

I don't care why they need/want that many hours/days....only that they pay my rate and follow my policies.

Setting a limit to how many hours a child is in care is not a guarantee that the child will get face time with family...they can just as easily get picked up from daycare and dumped at another caregivers...

I can't change how others parent, only how I operate my business and I have it set up in a way that those who do use the most care, pay a premium for it.
Yes, this.
midaycare 10:47 AM 08-11-2015
I'm open from 7am-6pm. If you want care all of those hours, it will be very expensive.
Nisaryn 11:45 AM 08-11-2015
I'm a military provider so I have one child for extended hours for 7 full/near full days and a half day on Sunday, he is here from 5am to 6pm (sometimes longer) on M-F, from 6am to 2pm on Sat. and from 6am to 12 on Sun. he is 15m old.
cheerfuldom 05:30 PM 08-12-2015
I used to do that scheduled and I personally think that that is too long for most kids unless they are coming for a few days a week. every single day is way too much
Reply Up