Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Simple Sandwiches
TwinMama 12:20 PM 04-19-2016
Does anyone have any sandwiches that you make your kiddos?

For some reason mine won't even eat grilled cheese when we have busier days. I've tried shredded cheese, sliced Sargento cheese, and even nasty Kraft singles. They just won't eat them.

They also dont really eat pb and j sandwiches either. They just open it and lick the jelly off. I've only made them a handful of times because they just won't eat them.

Any suggestions?
NoMoreJuice! 12:24 PM 04-19-2016
That's crazy, I have the exact opposite problem. I made a huge batch of shredded chicken with taco seasoning, shredded lettuce, and let the kids pick their own tomatoes off our hanging basket for taco salads today. Every single kid went to bed hungry, like 12 out of 12. The only thing they want is a sandwich. Maybe if you set out ingredients on a plate and let them make their own? "Lunchables" style?
Blackcat31 12:30 PM 04-19-2016
My kiddos don't much like bread.

I serve the sandwich fixin's buffet style.

Every kid cleans their plate.

Stack or layer the ingredients in ANY fashion that even remotely resembles a "sandwich" and no one eats a thing.
sharlan 12:35 PM 04-19-2016
The only sandwich mine will eat is grilled cheese. I use Colby jack. My own dds (37 & 39) won't eat a grilled cheese unless it's made with Kraft pretend cheese.

I've tried various lunch meats and cheeses, but they just won't eat them. In fact, none of my kids will eat any type of lunch meat. Give them a grilled pork chop and they'll eat like there's no tomorrow.
Rockgirl 12:37 PM 04-19-2016
I've been putting sandwich fillings into whole-wheat tortillas and rolling them up. They eat these ten times better! The favorite here is chunky PB with a little honey--everyone here loves it.
Thriftylady 12:38 PM 04-19-2016
When I was in Sweden as an exchange student, they got me hooked on veggie sandwiches. Cukes, tomatoes, whatever was in the garden. In the buttered bread and the bread in what was basically a sandwich maker on the stove long enough just to toast the bread. The sandwich maker made the sandwich stick together better. Heaven! I didn't think I would like it until I tried it. I am liking the idea of just giving them the fixins and offering either crackers or bread. My kids love lunchables and I only do homemade ones. So that would be about the same thing.
Unregistered 12:54 PM 04-19-2016
Sometimes I use different cookie cutters to cut sandwiches into different shapes and the kids love it! Same with the meat and cheese for homemade lunchables. Even my picky eaters will eat it if their food is shaped like a flower or heart
AmyKidsCo 12:56 PM 04-19-2016
Have you tried tortilla roll-ups instead of bread sandwiches? Just as quick to make but more fun cuz they're rolled. I also do pita-pocket sandwiches, mini-subs on hot dog buns, and sandwiches on round buns.
Baby Beluga 01:01 PM 04-19-2016
I have the opposite problem. Mine love sandwiches, especially PB and J.

We do PB and jam
PB with cinnamon, honey and thin banana slices
Ham and melted sharp cheddar cheese
Turkey, spinach and mozzarella cheese
Grilled cheese (their fav is grilled cheese and tomato soup)
And sometimes just a "cold cut sandwich" with whatever lunch meat I have in the fridge. They take it apart, but they gobble up all of it.
Thriftylady 01:18 PM 04-19-2016
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
Have you tried tortilla roll-ups instead of bread sandwiches? Just as quick to make but more fun cuz they're rolled. I also do pita-pocket sandwiches, mini-subs on hot dog buns, and sandwiches on round buns.
I love pita's but I can't bear to pay for it. It is easy to make but who wants to run the oven in the summer lol.
TwinMama 01:54 PM 04-19-2016
Originally Posted by NoMoreJuice!:
That's crazy, I have the exact opposite problem. I made a huge batch of shredded chicken with taco seasoning, shredded lettuce, and let the kids pick their own tomatoes off our hanging basket for taco salads today. Every single kid went to bed hungry, like 12 out of 12. The only thing they want is a sandwich. Maybe if you set out ingredients on a plate and let them make their own? "Lunchables" style?
Omg...my kids would devour that with a side of chips and salsa.
TwinMama 01:58 PM 04-19-2016
Originally Posted by sharlan:
The only sandwich mine will eat is grilled cheese. I use Colby jack. My own dds (37 & 39) won't eat a grilled cheese unless it's made with Kraft pretend cheese.

I've tried various lunch meats and cheeses, but they just won't eat them. In fact, none of my kids will eat any type of lunch meat. Give them a grilled pork chop and they'll eat like there's no tomorrow.
Yup. I hear ya. They aren't having anything but a real meal like pork chops and veggies or roast beef or something.
e.j. 02:17 PM 04-19-2016
Most of my kids like chicken, tuna or egg salad sandwiches on a hot dog roll. It can't be on bread or they won't eat it. I've also made grilled cheese sandwiches but instead of regular bread, I make it with 2 pita breads and then cut it like pizza slices. Some like to dip the slices in salsa.
sharlan 02:29 PM 04-19-2016
Originally Posted by e.j.:
Most of my kids like chicken, tuna or egg salad sandwiches on a hot dog roll. It can't be on bread or they won't eat it. I've also made grilled cheese sandwiches but instead of regular bread, I make it with 2 pita breads and then cut it like pizza slices. Some like to dip the slices in salsa.
Mine won't even eat a hot dog on a hot dog bun. Now if I open it up, spread it with butter and Parmesan cheese before toasting it, they will gobble it in a hurry.
NillaWafers 05:01 PM 04-19-2016
Ham rollups! My kids love these, ham + wheat tortillas with cream cheese. I'll even have them with a low carb tortilla
childcaremom 05:40 PM 04-19-2016
Mine like tortillas. I spread with cream cheese and avocado (mashed so it spreads). Then roll it up and slice it. They love these.
e.j. 06:16 PM 04-19-2016
Originally Posted by sharlan:
Mine won't even eat a hot dog on a hot dog bun. Now if I open it up, spread it with butter and Parmesan cheese before toasting it, they will gobble it in a hurry.
Kids are funny! I once had a dcg who would eat a grilled cheese sandwich as long as it was cut on the diagonal. If I cut it straight down the middle, she wouldn't touch it.
jenboo 06:59 PM 04-19-2016
Cream cheese and cucumber slices on bread.
The kids love them!
NightOwl 10:04 PM 04-19-2016
King Hawaiian rolls sliced open, add ham, cheese, and a little honey mustard. My kids go nuts for them.
Josiegirl 02:22 AM 04-20-2016
You guys amaze me with what kids will or won't eat. Avocado and cream cheese?
Cream cheese and cucumber?
Tuna?
Spinach with turkey?
My kids would all go to bed hungry too.

I remember when my own kids were little and they were the picky eaters. Good grief!

I think the only thing in sandwiches, that they all agree on is ham. And then I just roll it up to serve alongside bread.
At a food program training they had tortillas spread with peanut butter and place a banana inside. Roll it all up and slice it. You'd think that would've been a hit. But nope.
LysesKids 07:38 AM 04-20-2016
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
You guys amaze me with what kids will or won't eat. Avocado and cream cheese?
Cream cheese and cucumber?
Tuna?
Spinach with turkey?
My kids would all go to bed hungry too.

I remember when my own kids were little and they were the picky eaters. Good grief!

I think the only thing in sandwiches, that they all agree on is ham. And then I just roll it up to serve alongside bread.
At a food program training they had tortillas spread with peanut butter and place a banana inside. Roll it all up and slice it. You'd think that would've been a hit. But nope.
Since I work with the littlest ones I get to train them from first foods... here my babies will eat Asian veg, Indian curries and fish tacos (older babes); I even get them to drink Miso soup lol. My homemade tortillas go over much better than store bought too. It's part of why I do a different country each day for my menus... variety
Thriftylady 07:50 AM 04-20-2016
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
Since I work with the littlest ones I get to train them from first foods... here my babies will eat Asian veg, Indian curries and fish tacos (older babes); I even get them to drink Miso soup lol. My homemade tortillas go over much better than store bought too. It's part of why I do a different country each day for my menus... variety
Anytime I make tortillas, they shrink in diameter and get thicker. We don't like them that way! Do yours do that? If no do you do anything to prevent it?
LysesKids 08:11 AM 04-20-2016
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
Anytime I make tortillas, they shrink in diameter and get thicker. We don't like them that way! Do yours do that? If no do you do anything to prevent it?
Basic 4 ingredients & water. I make dough, break into balls then let it sit for 10-15 minutes before rolling out thin. Mine puff and get those nice brown spots (reason they were nicknamed puffies by toddlers); takes barely 30 seconds a side to cook on an un-greased cast iron skillet. I use very little baking powder (like less than 1/4 tsp for 4 cups flour)
Baby Beluga 08:16 AM 04-20-2016
Originally Posted by NightOwl:
King Hawaiian rolls sliced open, add ham, cheese, and a little honey mustard. My kids go nuts for them.
Yum! I need to add these to my rotation I watched the pioneer women make a similar recipe, but she used roast beef instead of ham. They looked so good.
Thriftylady 08:23 AM 04-20-2016
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
Basic 4 ingredients & water. I make dough, break into balls then let it sit for 10-15 minutes before rolling out thin. Mine puff and get those nice brown spots (reason they were nicknamed puffies by toddlers); takes barely 30 seconds a side to cook on an un-greased cast iron skillet. I use very little baking powder (like less than 1/4 tsp for 4 cups flour)
Thanks I don't think my recipe calls for baking powder! I will have to look.
LysesKids 08:27 AM 04-20-2016
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
Thanks I don't think my recipe calls for baking powder! I will have to look.
I also use veggie lard... A lot of recipes call for 1 tsp of baking powder to 3 cups flour, but authentic uses very little... I add water as needed to make my dough, no set amount depending on humidity. I also make corn tortillas lol...
Tags:food, sandwich
Reply Up