Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Help Me Solve a Debate With Your Opinions Please
Member, posting unreg. 10:36 PM 10-22-2020
I have a hypothetical question. If your spouse/significant other offered to give $500-$1000 to fund a new business idea (any at home business idea, selling items not selling a service such as childcare) what would you do? During this time your spouse's/significant other's salary pays for the bills and monthly living needs.

Would you:
1) keep doing DC, and start the business on the side?
2) stop doing DC, give yourself a year and if the new business does not take off, return to DC?
3) quit DC, get a part time job out of the house and spend the next year on perfecting the business/product?
4) other option of your choice?

I am also interested in hearing your thoughts on the time it takes to create businesses, if a year is long enough (or too long), your thoughts on multiple failed home based businesses, how you think employers view both resume gaps and self employment on a resume and how easy (or difficult) it is to return to FCC once you quit.
Pandaluver21 10:42 PM 10-22-2020
Honestly I think it depends on how much you like doing daycare and how good you are at selling things.
I couldn't imagine leaving my job, it is my passion, but I also HATE being a sales person!
Josiegirl 03:09 AM 10-23-2020
I think I'd pick 1, if I wasn't completely burned out with dc. KWIM? I'd do it on the side for awhile to see how it all worked out, then start the shift as the business gained momentum.
Good luck no matter what you decide!!
rosieteddy 12:03 PM 10-23-2020
I would also choose number one.Covers you if it doesn't work out.
Cat Herder 12:33 PM 10-23-2020
4. I would be creeped out, irritated and suspicious.

Sorry, not meant to hurt anyones feelings.

My husband and I are a team in all things. I would find it condescending and suspicious for him to even come at me with that noise. We have both had turns supporting this family throughout the years. We also do not share accounts.
Michael 12:43 PM 10-23-2020
4) Take the $1000 and do some research and fact-finding in Hawaii for a week.

Do you dislike childcare. If so, then 3

I’ve started several businesses. The time it takes depends on your type of business and your location to clients. Does your spouse not like you doing childcare? If so, quit and than do 4
Ariana 02:11 PM 10-23-2020
Originally Posted by Michael:
My option choice as well

seriously though I would quit and take a year! It is pretty much what I am doing right now but without the $500-$1000 because my husbands money is my money and vice versa plus half of our savings was put there by me
DaveA 04:17 PM 10-23-2020
Beat me to it.

Seriously- is this something you have experience in or interested in? Is there a real market for the product? If so it’s a shot. I basically did #1. I closed to go full time as a blade smith. I had years part time to build a customer base, online presence, & my own style. And I still have another source of income. To quote a Mastersmith I know- “It took a couple decades to be an overnight success!”

Of the options listed- 1 or 3 is most practical depending on family situation. My other thought is would that be a sign my wife is sick of the daycare in her house and trying to find me something else so it isn’t a “I can’t take this anymore!” situation.
dolores 05:59 PM 10-23-2020

Do you dislike childcare. If so, then 3

I’ve started several businesses. The time it takes depends on your type of business and your location to clients. Does your spouse not like you doing childcare? If so, quit and than do 4
If you don't mind me asking- what are the other businesses you started and how are they going?

And what made you start this forum?
Tags:job change, marriage
Reply Up