Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Our New Pet-OT
Heidi 10:54 AM 09-13-2012
So, I threw some stale bread off the balcony earlier this week, and noticed one Blue Jay was really letting his friends know that there was free food.

So Tuesday, I put a piece on the railing about 4 feet from the door.

Now, "Jay" comes every afternoon...squaking like crazy until I give him his bread...

lil angels 10:56 AM 09-13-2012
Oh that's fun.
Sugar Magnolia 11:20 AM 09-13-2012
Great time for a bird feeder. We had one, we enjoyed watching the birds until the squirrels found it. The squirells busted it up. Tree Rats. Grrr.
mema 11:56 AM 09-13-2012
Want our new pet??? It's a nice little woodpecker that would LOVE to live somewhere else! He's sick of dd and ds throwing balls and rocks at him to get off the house, but apparently not sick of it enough to leave.
brookeroo 12:03 PM 09-13-2012
I second the bird feeder! I put 3 outside my daycare window and one in the backyard. One in the window is a hummingbird feeder. Too cool and cheap to refill because you just use sugar and water. The kids love it.
Heidi 03:01 PM 09-13-2012
We have bird feeders too, out the other window. They are empty at the moment-it was a big deal in the spring when the birds came back, but we all lost interest, plus refilling them so often gets expensive.....those birds need to eat bugs anyway........... please....lol
MyAngels 03:14 PM 09-13-2012
Originally Posted by Sugar Magnolia:
Great time for a bird feeder. We had one, we enjoyed watching the birds until the squirrels found it. The squirells busted it up. Tree Rats. Grrr.
You should look for a "squirrel proof" feeder. I found one that stays open for the birds, but as soon as the weight of a squirrel lands on it the opening closes. It's worked great all summer. I bought it at Menards.
Sugar Magnolia 04:48 PM 09-13-2012
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
You should look for a "squirrel proof" feeder. I found one that stays open for the birds, but as soon as the weight of a squirrel lands on it the opening closes. It's worked great all summer. I bought it at Menards.
Ha! I didn't know there was such a thing! I need one. Hi tech! This bird feeder was allegedly squirrel proof. Resourceful little buggers. We do have a white heron that visits occasionally, he has walked right up to the door. We also have a group of mockingbirds that dive bomb the chihuahua across the street. Hilarious. And an osprey nest in the lights of the high school next door. All this in the middle of downtown!!
Sugar Magnolia 04:50 PM 09-13-2012
Originally Posted by Heidi:
We have bird feeders too, out the other window. They are empty at the moment-it was a big deal in the spring when the birds came back, but we all lost interest, plus refilling them so often gets expensive.....those birds need to eat bugs anyway........... please....lol
I want a bird BATH! Now that would be cool!
MN Mom 05:11 AM 09-14-2012
Spray the bird feeders climbable surfaces with WD40 and the squirrels don't stand a chance
Blackcat31 09:14 AM 09-14-2012
Originally Posted by Heidi:
We spend $55 per week feeding the birds. Frequent appearances by a Magpie named Joe, 2 Pileated woodpeckers, Downy and Hairy woodpeckers, Yellow
Finches, Purple Martins, Evening and Pine Grosbeaks, Red Poles, Purple Finches, Northern Cardinals, Humming Birds, Black-capped Chickadees, Nuthatches, Red Breasted Robins, Blue Jays, Gray Jays, Morning Doves, and a flock of pigeons that I think followed me home from Walmart.

In the winter we add about $20 to that cost due to the deer being hungry then too.

Originally Posted by MN Mom:
Spray the bird feeders climbable surfaces with WD40 and the squirrels don't stand a chance

You haven't met our squirrels.....those things are smart...

I hung a half log peanut butter feeder not to long ago and rather than eat the peanut butter and wait for more, they simply chewed through the hanger and took the whole thing. It had to weigh atleast 3X what they do.

I suppose it is a good lesson for them....had they just eaten the peanut butter, I would have eventually refilled it and they could have had an endless supply but their greed took over
Tags:pets
Reply Up