Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Dilemma: Help Me Solve?
SilverSabre25 02:39 PM 12-26-2012
We have two play kitchens in the house. One is a nice wooden KidKraft one that we gave DD for Christmas 3 years ago when she was two. It has seen much love and carefree play from both her and the daycare kids. It has had doors break several times and so far Kidkraft has never charged me for their replacement, but it just had a door break AGAIN and i'm annoyed because the thing was expensive when we bought it. They are HARD on things. It's this one, basically:

then we have this one we got for free from my in-laws when they moved this summer. DD has had it in her room but is now giving it up in favor of having more space right now. it's plastic, and I think it's really quite dumb, personally (and, ours is different colors, this is just the same style and design):

I only need one play kitchen and would like to get rid of one of these. Which one should I keep, and which should I pass on (or more likely sell to Once Upon a Child)?
Michael 02:44 PM 12-26-2012
Some more threads on play kitchens: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.php?tag=play+kitchen

It looks like the plastic one would be more durable. The wooden one looks great and to us adults seems more "likable".

Do the kids like the plastic one? If so, I would keep the plastic and sell the wooden one.

The wooden one would be a better "seller" to the ones that have money.
SilverSabre25 02:47 PM 12-26-2012
The daycare kids have never seen the plastic one, it has lived in DD's room. They love the wooden one, which is showing the love.

I don't know why this is such a tough decision...I prefer wooden toys and don't really like the plastic kitchen for a variety of reasons, but I have a hard time getting rid of things, ever, especially when "I might need it someday" but I don't have enough space for that many "mights".
KEG123 02:55 PM 12-26-2012
That's hard. I have one very similar to #1 and while I like it, it does break all the time. Any chance of selling both and getting another more visually appealing (to us adults) but more durable like the bottom one?? Like maybe one specifically for daycare/heavy use?
SilverSabre25 02:56 PM 12-26-2012
Originally Posted by KEG123:
That's hard. I have one very similar to #1 and while I like it, it does break all the time. Any chance of selling both and getting another more visually appealing (to us adults) but more durable like the bottom one?? Like maybe one specifically for daycare/heavy use?
No, not right now. We're barely making ends meet. Maybe if I fill my last space or when DH gets a better job. For now though, we're stuck with one of these.
Michael 02:56 PM 12-26-2012
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
The daycare kids have never seen the plastic one, it has lived in DD's room. They love the wooden one, which is showing the love.

I don't know why this is such a tough decision...I prefer wooden toys and don't really like the plastic kitchen for a variety of reasons, but I have a hard time getting rid of things, ever, especially when "I might need it someday" but I don't have enough space for that many "mights".
I'm the same way. End of year you might want to think about donating a lot of the "might want" stuff and write it off on your taxes next year.

My rule; If you haven't used it in six months its time to let it go and make room for something new. (note; doesn't apply to spouse)
SilverSabre25 03:01 PM 12-26-2012
Originally Posted by Michael:
I'm the same way. End of year you might want to think about donating a lot of the "might want" stuff and write it off on your taxes next year.

My rule; If you haven't used it in six months its time to let it go and make room for something new. (note; doesn't apply to spouse)
I snickered at the spouse comment :P

That is a good rule of thumb, one I'm trying to keep in mind actually. it's just tough; and it comes of not having the money to just go get another one if I decide we need it...but right now I'm wanting space more than stuff, so I'm trying!
EchoMom 03:09 PM 12-26-2012
Personally, I'm the opposite of a hoarder and people close to me have joked that if we didn't use it YESTERDAY then I'll probably throw it away. I absolutely love to rearrange furniture and I love to purge. I don't know how I constantly find more things to de clutter since I honestly don't have that much clutter in the first place.

Anyway, this is just my opinion of course, but I agree that the 2nd one looks dumb. I wouldn't want it in my daycare, even if it was more durable. It's just not the image I want to project and it would irk me knowing that my true love was wooden toys. But that's totally JMO.
EchoMom 03:11 PM 12-26-2012
Oh and have you checked CL because there are some plastic, but nicer looking (step 2 I think) play kitchens that have been being reposted on CL almost daily for a month and still haven't sold even though the pics look nice. I know you said you don't have the money, but the price seemed really good. Just mentioning since we're in the same area and I've seen it on CL myself.
cheerfuldom 03:15 PM 12-26-2012
can you put both in the playroom and see which the kids like more?
crazydaycarelady 03:55 PM 12-26-2012
If it is for dckids I would probably keep the plastic one. Little Tikes stuff seems to hold up really well.
Blackcat31 03:59 PM 12-26-2012
Silver, I wish you lived closer to me...LOL! I have 2 Little Tike Kitchens and you could have them both! (one is brand new)

I despise plastic! I HATE any of the Little Tikes toys (although I am a former addict ) and am trying really hard to convert to all wood toys.

DH is building me a kitchen center and since I am partial to wood, I say toss the plastic one and keep the wooden one.
laundrymom 05:53 PM 12-26-2012
I say keep both and put the plastic one outside. Or rotate them to keep interesting
LK5kids 05:59 PM 12-26-2012
I like wood a lot but I'm also practical. I got the same Little Tykes kitchen this summer and it's basically brand new. I got it at a rummage sale for $10.00 . I think you should keep both if you can't replace the wooden one if it keeps falling apart. You might need it.
MamaG 11:11 PM 12-26-2012
Originally Posted by EchoMom:
Personally, I'm the opposite of a hoarder and people close to me have joked that if we didn't use it YESTERDAY then I'll probably throw it away. I absolutely love to rearrange furniture and I love to purge. I don't know how I constantly find more things to de clutter since I honestly don't have that much clutter in the first place.

Anyway, this is just my opinion of course, but I agree that the 2nd one looks dumb. I wouldn't want it in my daycare, even if it was more durable. It's just not the image I want to project and it would irk me knowing that my true love was wooden toys. But that's totally JMO.
I'm the same! I also hate plastic toys. You can't repair them like wooden things.
Unregistered 11:17 PM 12-26-2012
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
I say keep both and put the plastic one outside. Or rotate them to keep interesting
I agree with this. I'd love to have a "mud kitchen" outside.
SilverSabre25 04:19 AM 12-27-2012
I tried having an older plastic kitchen outside for awhile a year or so ago...no one used it and finally I had bulk pick up come haul it away. My kids would loooooove a mud kitchen...but i think it has to be the kind I build. Plus this plastic one is basically in perfect condition.

Rotating them would be hard; I have nowhere to store either of them (which is kind of the heart of my issue here )

I think I need to just take a deep breath, quiet the fear, and sell the dang plastic one. Then in a year or so when our finances look better, replace the wooden one...mostly likely with another wooden one...when a certain very rough dcb is no longer with me on a regular basis. I love him, but good grief is he hard on toys. I expected this kitchen to be passed on to my grandkids eventually (or at least be around for them) but I didn't factor in the roughness of boys.
itlw8 09:10 AM 12-27-2012
If it is the doors that keep breaking take them off and store the doors for awhile.
Sunchimes 09:38 AM 12-27-2012
What itlw8 (oh, I just got that name!! Cute!) said. I have that exact Kidcraft kitchen in white with red/blue trim. It has held up really well with my one 2 year old girl. I hate to hear that it breaks easily because I have an 18 mo boy starting in 2 weeks and a 11 month old boy too. I am going to start early and forbid them to be rough.

I don't like plastic so I'd keep the wooden one and just leave the doors off for now.
SilverSabre25 10:01 AM 12-27-2012
Originally Posted by Sunchimes:
What itlw8 (oh, I just got that name!! Cute!) said. I have that exact Kidcraft kitchen in white with red/blue trim. It has held up really well with my one 2 year old girl. I hate to hear that it breaks easily because I have an 18 mo boy starting in 2 weeks and a 11 month old boy too. I am going to start early and forbid them to be rough.

I don't like plastic so I'd keep the wooden one and just leave the doors off for now.
well, it's been 3 years at the hands of like, 5 kids, every single day. And yes, it's been mostly doors that break. I think that the newer ones are better and less breaky. But, it's just laminate over particle board, so yeah. KidKraft is REALLY good about replacements, too. I have that to say for them...they are REALLY good about that.
Hunni Bee 10:17 AM 12-27-2012
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
well, it's been 3 years at the hands of like, 5 kids, every single day. And yes, it's been mostly doors that break. I think that the newer ones are better and less breaky. But, it's just laminate over particle board, so yeah. KidKraft is REALLY good about replacements, too. I have that to say for them...they are REALLY good about that.
We had the same KidKraft kitchen (except in red, white, and blue) and the door came off (screws came out and everything) within a month of us getting it.

We also had the plastic kitchen you showed, it is dumb....its not big enough for eve one kid to play at.

I'd personally keep the wooden one and just leave the doors off... Mine worked just fine without it, im sure it it still is.
ninosqueridos 10:24 AM 12-27-2012
I have only had a plastic one (step2 lifestyle something) and the kids have loved on it for 4 years. However, I would jump on the chance of a wooden one if I could afford it. Keep the wooden one!
Scout 11:11 AM 12-27-2012
I may be alone but, for disinfecting purposes I prefer plastic. I don't have to worry about it warping when I spray it with the solution.
Crystal 02:01 PM 12-27-2012
I got rid of a little tikes kitchen like that a couple of years ago....it lasted about 13 years and was still being used by another provider when I gave it away.

I LOVE wood, but not the colorful wood.....just plain maple.

Personally, I would keep the little tikes one and get rid of the wooden one. I love my wood kitchen set that I have now, and so do the kids, but they also loved and used the little tikes one A LOT! I also like that the little tikes one can be pushed into a corner nice and snug.

When you have money for a new wood kitchen, be sure to check out Kaplan....I got mine on clearance there....the three piece wood set...the sink, the stove and the refrigerator for $300. They tend to clearance out at the end of spring and the end of fall.
countrymom 05:37 PM 12-27-2012
ok (now I can post without anyone interrupting me) the problem with the wood is that the more you wipe it, the paint will come off and if you have kids like mine who sneek crayons, well mr clean will take the paint right off.

also, if I was a parent looking for care, and you kitchen is "well loved" and in rough shape, I would start to wonder what else is in rough shape (yes, things like this do make a difference)

if you really want wood, then I would do what crystal said, go maple. Or make one out of a entertainment unit.

this is what I have, I've had it for 14 yrs. Its the most sturdiest piece in my house (I have climbed ontop to put posters on the wall) Its a bit bulky but it can take a beating and still look like new. I think in the photos there's a pic of it. I paid 200 dollars back then for it.
Rachel 01:33 AM 12-28-2012
I also have my plastic kitchen outside. It was always an indoor toy, but we don't have room now since the DC room is smaller here (even though the house is bigger and we have a yard), so it got bumped outside when we moved last August. It's been outside 1.5 years now and is hardly worse for the wear and the kids love it. It's not a mud kitchen (great ideal though!), but it's just one more thing to play with outside.
MamaG 04:24 AM 12-28-2012
Wood naturally disinfects itself, not sure about particle board. The laminate outside should protect it tho.
Tags:kitchen, play kitchen
Reply Up