Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Potty Training: Will Go At Home But Not At Daycare???
MamaB'sKidz 07:42 AM 01-05-2015
Any other provider ever experienced this before? DCB, almost 2 1/2 yo the parents started potty training over Christmas break. He will go to the potty for them at his own house and has had a few accidents but DCM says he's doing good for the most part. He was dropped off in big boy underwear and when he goes he's suppose to be rewarded. But....he won't go here at daycare for me and it's been almost 4 hours. He screams and fights me when I try to put him on the potty. I don't want to force him and traumatize the little guy but I don't know what else I can do to help him. I Know he has to go, he is holding himself and hiding in the corner whimpering. :-( Help I'm stumped! I've potty trained 2 DCB's before and never ran into this situation.
Play Care 07:48 AM 01-05-2015
I have the parents come and put the child on the potty. They show me how they do it

If the child is truely ready, that seems to work to get them going at my house. If they are not, I put the child in a diaper. Because the parents SEE what is going on, there are no arguments.
Cradle2crayons 08:41 AM 01-05-2015
Originally Posted by MamaB'sKidz:
Any other provider ever experienced this before? DCB, almost 2 1/2 yo the parents started potty training over Christmas break. He will go to the potty for them at his own house and has had a few accidents but DCM says he's doing good for the most part. He was dropped off in big boy underwear and when he goes he's suppose to be rewarded. But....he won't go here at daycare for me and it's been almost 4 hours. He screams and fights me when I try to put him on the potty. I don't want to force him and traumatize the little guy but I don't know what else I can do to help him. I Know he has to go, he is holding himself and hiding in the corner whimpering. :-( Help I'm stumped! I've potty trained 2 DCB's before and never ran into this situation.
I'm unconcerned if a child goes potty at HOME. And I don't PUT kids on the potty. For a child to be in underwear HERE, they must tell me they have to go potty before they wet themselves, and be accident free while in diapers for two weeks. Parents aren't often honest when it comes to potty training.

I'd put the child in a diaper and call mom to bring more.
Blackcat31 09:06 AM 01-05-2015
Originally Posted by MamaB'sKidz:
Home and daycare are two total different environments. Many many kids are completely toilet trained at home long before completing the process at daycare.

I would not stress about it and when he is ready to go at daycare, he'll tell you. Until then he needs to be in pull ups or diapers until he is trained at daycare.

It's VERY common.
Controlled Chaos 12:52 PM 01-05-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Home and daycare are two total different environments. Many many kids are completely toilet trained at home long before completing the process at daycare.

I would not stress about it and when he is ready to go at daycare, he'll tell you. Until then he needs to be in pull ups or diapers until he is trained at daycare.

It's VERY common.

nothingwithoutjoy 01:58 PM 01-05-2015
Completely normal. Home is more comfortable to him. When parents tell me their kids are "potty trained" at home, if I've had no success getting them to use the potty here, I tell them they are not yet using the potty here and I'll let them know when they are ready for undies.
daycare 02:06 PM 01-05-2015
I've had it both ways. PT here not at home or at home but not here.

Like BC said two totally different environments.....

What is your policy state on PT?
MamaB'sKidz 04:25 PM 01-05-2015
Originally Posted by daycare:
I've had it both ways. PT here not at home or at home but not here.

Like BC said two totally different environments.....

What is your policy state on PT?
Honestly, I never thought to have a policy on PT in my handbook. And my state licensing rules just require us to follow proper sanitation procedures with PT. Guess I should think of revising my handbook.

I really don't think the DCB is ready yet. DCM has expressed to me she's upset that her older children where PT by the age of 2 and this one is not. So it sounds like DCB doesn't have a choice. I did tell DCM that I would work with him but that he would have to be in a pull up until he's completely trained here at daycare. Thank you all for the encouraging advise.
MamaB'sKidz 04:28 PM 01-05-2015

It's VERY common.
Thank You!
TheGoodLife 04:44 PM 01-05-2015
This is what I have in my actual handbook:

Potty training is an essential and sometimes stressful process for both children and parents. I will assist in potty training with the understanding that it will only work if we work together. ☺ Your child will not learn if they do not do it while in my care and at home. You must work with your child at home and have a foundation set up before I will begin potty training here. Clothing should be easy to manage to encourage self-help skills. Buckles, buttons, belts, overalls and suspenders when in a hurry to use the bathroom may create a problem and should not be worn during this time. I also require that each potty training child have pull ups until they are able to go 10 full days without accidents. I will give you my full potty-training policy when you are ready to start training at home ☺

And this is my separate potty training policy I would hand out when it's time:

Potty training is an exciting time for everyone! It can also be a difficult and sometimes frustrating transition for a child, and because your child may be here at daycare as much if not more during the week than at home. I am happy to support your child’s potty training while here! My policies are:

• Please have a solid foundation of training at home before they start here- it can be scary and often a child is more comfortable starting their training at home. I am happy to begin training once you have that foundation set.
• Please find a time (outside of our regular work hours) to discuss your home methods with me, so I can be on the same page as you. I also want to be able to use the same language as that at home. Your child will train much faster if there is consistency between home and daycare.
• While I know many parents do the underwear-only training, I am not able to do it at daycare due to health regulations.
• Your child must be in pull-ups while training at daycare. After two weeks without an accident (i.e. wet or dirty pull-up) they may begin to come in underwear. However, I will ask that you still leave pull-ups here in case they are needed again.
• I reserve the right to take a break from training here if they have been trying for a duration of time here and I feel they are just not ready. The worst thing for potty training is to try to force it before the child is ready.
MamaB'sKidz 04:55 PM 01-05-2015
Originally Posted by TheGoodLife:
This is what I have in my actual handbook:

Potty training is an essential and sometimes stressful process for both children and parents. I will assist in potty training with the understanding that it will only work if we work together. ☺ Your child will not learn if they do not do it while in my care and at home. You must work with your child at home and have a foundation set up before I will begin potty training here. Clothing should be easy to manage to encourage self-help skills. Buckles, buttons, belts, overalls and suspenders when in a hurry to use the bathroom may create a problem and should not be worn during this time. I also require that each potty training child have pull ups until they are able to go 10 full days without accidents. I will give you my full potty-training policy when you are ready to start training at home ☺

And this is my separate potty training policy I would hand out when it's time:

Potty training is an exciting time for everyone! It can also be a difficult and sometimes frustrating transition for a child, and because your child may be here at daycare as much if not more during the week than at home. I am happy to support your child’s potty training while here! My policies are:

• Please have a solid foundation of training at home before they start here- it can be scary and often a child is more comfortable starting their training at home. I am happy to begin training once you have that foundation set.
• Please find a time (outside of our regular work hours) to discuss your home methods with me, so I can be on the same page as you. I also want to be able to use the same language as that at home. Your child will train much faster if there is consistency between home and daycare.
• While I know many parents do the underwear-only training, I am not able to do it at daycare due to health regulations.
• Your child must be in pull-ups while training at daycare. After two weeks without an accident (i.e. wet or dirty pull-up) they may begin to come in underwear. However, I will ask that you still leave pull-ups here in case they are needed again.
• I reserve the right to take a break from training here if they have been trying for a duration of time here and I feel they are just not ready. The worst thing for potty training is to try to force it before the child is ready.
! Very good policy! The very last part of your policy is what I feel like telling the DCM. I feel like I'm traumatizing the poor boy when I try to put him on the potty. Thank you!
TheGoodLife 05:09 PM 01-05-2015
Copy it onto a word document and send home tomorrow Poor DCB is going to be so stressed and regress if she keeps it up Every child is an individual and "bullying" him into potty training when he's not ready is not helpful nor healthy for him.
daycare 05:11 PM 01-05-2015
Originally Posted by TheGoodLife:
Copy it onto a word document and send home tomorrow Poor DCB is going to be so stressed and regress if she keeps it up Every child is an individual and "bullying" him into potty training when he's not ready is not helpful nor healthy for him.
I agree.. I see parents try to push all the time and instead of taking a few days it MONTHS to PT....

the child will regress if dcp make it a negative experience.
e.j. 06:36 PM 01-05-2015

It's VERY common.
I agree; I've had several kids who were trained at home but unwilling to use the potty here. It takes time and patience but eventually, they do start. One little guy told me he would "NEVER!!!" use the bathroom here at day care. It's taken about 6 months of waiting but one day he was just ready and he potty trained in a day or two.
Tags:potty training issues
Reply Up