Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Child With Constant Gas
midaycare 05:47 AM 11-02-2017
Have a dcg, age 2. She is always burping and tooting. It's gross. But more than that, it's to the point where I think something may be wrong with her.

For the record gas doesn't gross me out. But the frequency of this does.

Anyone experience this before? What might this be?
HappyEverAfter 06:50 AM 11-02-2017
Does she still use a pacifier? If so, it could be that she is giving herself gas by swallowing too much air because her mouth is too big for her pacifier now. I just got my toddler weened off hers and I've noticed less burping. Now she never had constant gas issues like you described but she definitely had some hefty burps. Her pacifier was always in her mouth, usually twisted sideways as she chewed and sucked on it. She would even leave it in while talking so she was constantly swallowing air. Now I rarely hear any burping coming from her and the few times I have, it's been at the kitchen table while she eats.
LysesKids 06:51 AM 11-02-2017
Originally Posted by midaycare:
Have a dcg, age 2. She is always burping and tooting. It's gross. But more than that, it's to the point where I think something may be wrong with her.

For the record gas doesn't gross me out. But the frequency of this does.

Anyone experience this before? What might this be?
A food allergy? I know I have a child gets gassy & constipated when they eat something that doesn't agree with them... and yes, child was tested & found to have a few food allergies - mom sometimes lets stuff slip thru so I deal with aftermath
midaycare 07:12 AM 11-02-2017
Originally Posted by HappyEverAfter:
Does she still use a pacifier? If so, it could be that she is giving herself gas by swallowing too much air because her mouth is too big for her pacifier now. I just got my toddler weened off hers and I've noticed less burping. Now she never had constant gas issues like you described but she definitely had some hefty burps. Her pacifier was always in her mouth, usually twisted sideways as she chewed and sucked on it. She would even leave it in while talking so she was constantly swallowing air. Now I rarely hear any burping coming from her and the few times I have, it's been at the kitchen table while she eats.
She's a thumb sucker...no paci though
midaycare 07:13 AM 11-02-2017
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
A food allergy? I know I have a child gets gassy & constipated when they eat something that doesn't agree with them... and yes, child was tested & found to have a few food allergies - mom sometimes lets stuff slip thru so I deal with aftermath
That's interesting.
Mom2Two 10:45 AM 11-02-2017
Food sensitivities can cause intestinal upset. If it were a true allergy, you'd be seeing symptoms like breakouts through to vomiting and trouble breathing.

Milk and dairy is pretty common. I wonder if mom would be interested in trying some eliminations to test.

I thought that burping was due more to swallowing air rather than from the food. But Idk...maybe there's food that causes it too. Other than pop, lol.
Pestle 09:06 PM 11-02-2017
Yeah, this sounds like a food intolerance to me. Maybe a fructose intolerance, or celiac, or lactose intolerance. I have a relative who developed a fructose intolerance after menopause. She can't eat fruit without getting horribly gassy.
Tags:gassy
Reply Up