Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Question Re: Part Time Daycare
Lucy10 03:10 PM 07-24-2019
I have been an in home daycare provider for 1.5 years. I left being a school counselor to stay home with my 2 little girls age 2.5 and 5.
So have 1 full time daycare child and a handful of part time ones but I’m having some turnover so am down to 2 part timers now. When I started ( obviously you learn a lot as you go) it worked to do both full time and part time. However I struggled last year immensely getting my 4 year old on the bus to school because she is not a morning person. We tried many different strategies, bedtime change, naps etc to no success. Making a long story short, I’ve decided I am going to have to drive her to kindergarten this year to eliminate morning battles and to allow her sufficient sleep. However my my question is has anyone ever eliminated their part time daycare kids for a full time daycare kid?. I’ve come to the conclusion that I can care for 3 full time kids being that I will need to transport them as well to get my child to school. My 2 part time kids schedules change week to week ( inconvenient) and so I am losing money by accommodating this. I’ve thought about giving them first dibs going full time or losing their spot to a new family that will be full time. Is this super tacky and bad business or have others had circumstances that caused this to be an issue? I’m struggling ( both kids have been here for 6 months only) and would appreciate any advice. Thank you.
CountryRoads 03:40 PM 07-24-2019
I've given away a part time spot (well, 1 day a week) to a full time spot before. It made sense because a full time spot was more money for me.

I didn't give them the option of being full time because they were a bit of a pain and she didn't need care. I would rather of given that spot to the family that called me desperately needing care - and like I said, more $$$.

I told her that I have a family needing full time care and I would no longer be able to provide care after XX/XX/XXXX.

She was upset, but it was strictly a business move.

If you like your families, I would offer the full time to them.

I would say (I prefer text) something like "My situation has changed and I need a more consistent schedule. I will be taking full-time children only going forward and would like to offer that to you first before I advertise. Thank you for understanding and let me know if you have any questions."

Don't feel bad. As I stated earlier, it is strictly business. You need to do what works best for you and your family!
rosieteddy 05:25 AM 07-25-2019
I made more money with part time clients.I charged more per day and they were only allowed to keep certain days .That being said I personaly would think long and hard before planning on driving the daycare kids to school.The responsibility is huge.In some states you need a special license and more insurance not to mention car seats.I would work with my child on getting up and to the bus on time.Maybe reward chart with a prize for Fridays if she manages well all week.She is lucky that you work from home and are able to be there when she needs it.Good luck.
Ac114 05:57 AM 07-25-2019
If I have learned anything in this business, it’s always do what works for YOU. Families will always do what works best for them and never think twice about how it affects you or your family. If going to full time only (plus more money) is what you want to do, so it and don’t feel bad.

I think offering them full time first is a nice way to go about it. If they are difficult parents to work with or you have issues caring for the children then I would just do what countryroads suggested. Good luck!
knoxmomof2 11:02 AM 07-25-2019
Almost 7 years in home child care myself, do what works best for your family! That is what your clients will do. That being said, you have to decide if transporting several children that aren't your own (dealing with car seats, possibly disrupting nap schedules, the liability alone, etc) is really worth it and if you can find clients who are comfortable with that.

Offer full time to your part timers if you like them. Replace them if not. It is completely fine to customize your business to your family's needs. That's the beauty of being self employed. You just have to decide if a business move is best in the long run and if you have the demand in your area for what you're offering.

Side note : my 16 year old son has ADD and sleep / waking time has always been a struggle. When he was young, he slept 12 hours. As he got older though, the need for a lot of sleep was still there, but he struggled with his mind racing and having a hard time falling asleep. About a year ago, we finally found the right combination of melatonin taken several hours before bed, getting him to bed early enough that he had time for his mind to race and still fall asleep at a decent hour and letting him wake later in the morning to make up for it. Thankfully, we've always homeschooled so even though we run on a schedule, we had some flexibility with his waking time and bedtime. Good luck to you as you figure out what is best for your family!
Lucy10 11:30 AM 07-25-2019
Thank you so much! This was a great help and thecwording is great. I read on another thread someone had that added into their policy book about doing their best to accommodate part time families but should a full time family come they would be bumped. I’m in the process of updating mine so I will be using that as well.
Lucy10 11:39 AM 07-25-2019
Thank you for your response, however I already have transported daycare kids at the start of 4K last year and also on Mondays throughout the year. In addition, I live 4 blocks from my child’s school and her bus comes over an hour before school starts. Being she is moving from half days to full days and knowing her needs, my priority is her, thus why I’m staying home with my kids. I appreciate your thoughts but I know what’s best for my family and driving her the 4 blocks to school is in our best interest. I already have a garage full of car seats so that is not an issue either. My families are aware of if their child is going to be transported and understands that before starting care with me. I also am insured. From everything I’ve been reading, it’s not unheard of to bump part timers. I get paid much less for part time. Also the 2 families schedule changes every week so it’s impossible to fill the gaps.
Lucy10 11:39 AM 07-25-2019
Thank you!
Lucy10 11:46 AM 07-25-2019
Thank you for your thoughts. My daughter doesn’t nap. We had to cut them out bc she’s too hard to wake up from them and then she wouldn’t fall asleep until 10-11 pm even if the nap was an hour. From birth she rarely slept and only cat napped. It was a struggle lol . If she is sleeping by 730 pm I can get her up by 645 with incentives for her half day of school but it’s really impossible to put her to bed any earlier than 7. With moving to full days I know it’s going to wear her out even more. She just turned 5. I know as she grows and gets used to full days of school she will acclimate but for now her needs are my priority. I’m reassured reading other threads and getting feedback that it’s a business and I need to do what’s best for us and most efficient. Thank you again! So glad I found this site lol
rosieteddy 05:54 PM 07-25-2019
I did not mean to be judgy,hope you didn't take it that way.Of course you should do whats best for you.I hadn't realized you transported before.I had parents that did not want their children in my car.I also preffered full time clients.I only did part time when it worked that 2 children shared one spot M,W,F&TUES ,THURS.I always charged more for part time daily .It is hard when the bus picks up so much earlier than school starts.Good luck.
LysesKids 07:38 PM 07-26-2019
Originally Posted by Lucy10:
I have been an in home daycare provider for 1.5 years. I left being a school counselor to stay home with my 2 little girls age 2.5 and 5.
So have 1 full time daycare child and a handful of part time ones but I’m having some turnover so am down to 2 part timers now. When I started ( obviously you learn a lot as you go) it worked to do both full time and part time. However I struggled last year immensely getting my 4 year old on the bus to school because she is not a morning person. We tried many different strategies, bedtime change, naps etc to no success. Making a long story short, I’ve decided I am going to have to drive her to kindergarten this year to eliminate morning battles and to allow her sufficient sleep. However my my question is has anyone ever eliminated their part time daycare kids for a full time daycare kid?. I’ve come to the conclusion that I can care for 3 full time kids being that I will need to transport them as well to get my child to school. My 2 part time kids schedules change week to week ( inconvenient) and so I am losing money by accommodating this. I’ve thought about giving them first dibs going full time or losing their spot to a new family that will be full time. Is this super tacky and bad business or have others had circumstances that caused this to be an issue? I’m struggling ( both kids have been here for 6 months only) and would appreciate any advice. Thank you.
I'm assuming you are license exempt? I would offer a FT spot to the PT and explain that You have to cover your bills too, this not just a side gig - if they turn down the FT, sign on a new family FT & give the PT a week or two to find new care... My own child's school needs always trumped that of daycare kids. I signed on clients in Galena, IL (WI border), that could work with hours I needed, not the other way around. I only took PT if it didn't interfere with drop-off or pick up @ school & I let parents know, I didn't transport other kids due to insurance costs... I always had a Full house of 3 FT families because I did under 2.5 years only... I also went back to homeschooling after 1st semester
trix23 02:45 PM 07-27-2019
If you only live 4 blocks from the school, why is she taking a bus? When I was in 1st grade I walked like 1.5 miles to school every day and I loved it. Depending on what time she'd need to be at school, could walk her there the first few weeks and then slowly taper off til she can do it herself, then have her walk home as well doing the same method.

Waking up early for school is a responsibility that she'll need to eventually learn, so doing it now will help later in life. They make kid-friendly alarms that you can get her and make sure she has her backpack ready the night before school, an outfit picked out, etc. so that the morning routines are easy at home. I would try and give as much responsibility to her as you can as it'll make her feel proud and you'll also have less harried mornings.
trix23 02:46 PM 07-27-2019
I feel that 1 day a week should be drop-in care... my part time is for 2-3 days and full time is 4-5 days. in that sense, drop-in care is given last priority for enrollment and is only done if there's availability that day.
AmyKidsCo 01:49 PM 07-30-2019
My policies state that full time has precedence over part time, and if a potential family is interested in a full time spot a current part time family will be allowed to switch to full time to keep their space.

I only do full day part time, not half days, and only 2 or 3 days/week. 1 day isn't available, and 4 days is considered full time. I charge more for PT so 3 days PT is almost equal to FT rate. (For instance, if FT is $190/week, PT would be $50/day)
Unregistered 05:50 PM 07-30-2019
Not sure what your am routine is but I had a HELLUVA time with my daughter the first chunk of kindergarten year. I wanted her to get dressed and brush teeth first, eat and bathroom last because eating took the longest and she could eat in the car.
She refused and couldnt see the logic behind it.
But food helped her so she eats first and we set an interval timer (does several timers in a row) on days she needs it for all her jobs. She has done tremendously better.
Tags:part time, part time care rates, part time policy
Reply Up