Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do You Charge?
Unregistered 08:01 PM 01-19-2021
I have a DCM who’s father passed away on Sunday. She said the kids will be gone for the week. Would you still charge them for the week considering the circumstances? I don’t have anything in my contract/policies regarding deaths of an immediate family member in a daycare family. I do have it in my contract that if someone in my immediate family passed away, I would take a minimum of five days unpaid.
Jo123ABC 08:31 PM 01-19-2021
Do you offer sick/vacation days to families? I might not chg depending on the family honestly. I have a family who has been here for 4 years, has 2 kids here, gives me $200 for Christmas and ALWAYS keep their kids home when sick. I don't have to fight with them about basic stuff. I'd let them have the week. As for most others, I'd probably ask if they want to use their sick days (they have 6 to use through the year whenever they need).
Josiegirl 01:42 AM 01-20-2021
I agree with PP, depends on the dcf. I had 1 dcm whose mom passed away and I had her 3 children. I told her to not worry about paying me that week, she tried to give me the money and I refused. Plus I took their 3 children and a couple of her sister's on the night of the wake. IMO these are special and difficult circumstances for anyone and I never treated it as sick or vacation time. But that's just me.

But yes, to me, it would depend. I'd have to say most dcfs I would've extended that offer to but some.......no.
Gemma 03:00 AM 01-20-2021
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I have a DCM who’s father passed away on Sunday. She said the kids will be gone for the week. Would you still charge them for the week considering the circumstances? I don’t have anything in my contract/policies regarding deaths of an immediate family member in a daycare family. I do have it in my contract that if someone in my immediate family passed away, I would take a minimum of five days unpaid.
Considering the circumstances no, I wouldn't charge them.
Blackcat31 08:02 AM 01-20-2021
I'm a bit different. This is my job and is a business.

Doesn't mean I don't feel badly for the family but for me, my job has nothing to do with my emotional standpoint.

I would charge as I normally do.

As for addressing the family's loss, I would absolutely do so in whatever way feels right for you.
dolores 08:24 AM 01-20-2021
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

Doesn't mean I don't feel badly for the family but for me, my job has nothing to do with my emotional standpoint.

As for addressing the family's loss, I would absolutely do so in whatever way feels right for you.
Yup!
Cat Herder 08:36 AM 01-20-2021
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I do have it in my contract that if someone in my immediate family passed away, I would take a minimum of five days unpaid.
The road should work both ways. If I lose pay for the same situation, so do they.

I would charge per usual.

Now, If my leave in the same situation was paid, then I would not charge. Unfortunately, not many families will go for this route so I charge if I am open, no charge if I am closed, barring federal holidays.
CountryRoads 08:38 AM 01-20-2021
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

I also agree with this.

While I would feel bad for the family, my emotions have nothing to do with running a business. Also, I feel like doing this once will set the expectations for any future situations. If you're policy is they pay regardless of attendance, then they should pay.

Do you think her electric company will give her a free week because her father passed away? I don't know why daycare should be any different.

However, I would probably get flowers and a card or something for her to show my sympathy.
Annalee 09:09 AM 01-20-2021
At the end of the day, life is life and we are a business. The families we care for have life issues and so do we....but it's still a business relationship.

Years ago, one of my families had a tornado hit their home and I gave them one week free of child care.....so I'm not heartless and not saying that was the wrong thing to do, but I am older now as a person and as a business owner so it's all business now.

FYI......I like the consistent business aspect much better but the 'covid-fog' (what I like to call it) has messed with my 'business push' as families seem to think 'there are no rules and anything goes and I should just except that'
I'm tired of battling every day over something... So now most of my families think I'm 'mean' anyway so why not just be 'mean

Sorry to just go off, but my head is spinning due to some crazy arrival happenings this morning!
Tags:death - family member, paid days off
Reply Up