Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Debate About Higher Education
Crystal 01:01 PM 08-12-2010
Carrying this over from another thread in the parent forum, so as not to derail that parent's thread:

I wanted to leave this alone, but it's really bugging me. Why is it NOT okay for a provider to mention having an education? I have never seen anyone here say that they are better than anyone else because they do have an education, unless you consider a provider mentioning HOW having an education has HELPED THEM or made it possible for them to make IMPROVEMENTS in THEIR program saying they are "better" than another provider.

I could understand it NOT being okay to bring it up if it's in the context of being nasty and mean spirited to another provider with less education, but I have never seen it presented that way here.

I worked hard to earn my degree, I am proud of it and I am not NOT going to mention it because it may make someone else feel inferior - that's the problem of the person who has chosen, for whatever reason, not to pursue higher education, whether it be because they do not think a "piece of paper" is important, or they just don't care.

So, I am curious, what is your stance on Child Care Professionals working towards and earning their degree in ECE? Do you think it could be a valuable tool, and why or why not? Do you think that providers who DO have or are working towards a degree are wasting their time and that only experience matters? TIA for your feedback!
Tags:college, degree, education
Up