Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Thinking of Moving to Washington
Michelle 02:04 PM 06-05-2014
What't it like?
I heard that it rains a lot.
I am pretty spoiled here with the weather but I found a house on 18 acres with 3 houses and it's an ocean front with horse property.

I don't know what to do.. just want to get away from the decline of my area and can't afford oceanfront homes here in Socal

anyone from Washington state?
Lucy 02:09 PM 06-05-2014
I'm from across the river in Oregon, but have family in and near Seattle, so we go there several times a year.

I'm also a SoCal transplant! Have lots of family and friends in and around the SF Valley.

It's beautiful up here, but yes, it does rain. However, our summers are outstanding. Short, but awesome. Oregon gets slightly less rain than WA, and doesn't get quite as cold in the winter, so I prefer Oregon, but I do like both.

Where in WA? The east side of the state is very different than the west side.
Chellieleanne 02:14 PM 06-05-2014
Ooh that sounds amazing! My trip to Washington years ago, it rained ever.single.day. I love the rain but not that much! I left so cal a year ago. I moved to nevada and haven't looked back. Cheaper is a huge reason but we are also a lot happier with the more freedom we have compared to California. I say if you have the means, go for it!
Michelle 02:45 PM 06-05-2014
Originally Posted by Lucy:
I'm from across the river in Oregon, but have family in and near Seattle, so we go there several times a year.

I'm also a SoCal transplant! Have lots of family and friends in and around the SF Valley.

It's beautiful up here, but yes, it does rain. However, our summers are outstanding. Short, but awesome. Oregon gets slightly less rain than WA, and doesn't get quite as cold in the winter, so I prefer Oregon, but I do like both.

Where in WA? The east side of the state is very different than the west side.
Ocean City

so, what are the schools like?
are people friendly?
I know about the rain but maybe it doesn't rain as much by the beach?
( wishful thinking?)

does it snow?
Country Kids 03:23 PM 06-05-2014
Originally Posted by Michelle:
Ocean City

so, what are the schools like?
are people friendly?
I know about the rain but maybe it doesn't rain as much by the beach?
( wishful thinking?)

does it snow?
Not sure what the schools are like but you will probably get a ton of rain on the coast.

To be honest, I've heard people from the Northwest and especially Washington have a high depression rate because of the weather- If its not raining in the winter it will be cloudy and grey.

The rains come from the coast usually so if its going to rain it will start there first. I can usually look towards the coast from my house and know what the weather will be like for the day or at least whats coming my way.

In Oregon the beaches sometimes actually get snow-they did this year a couple times! I know it was a rough year for snow and weather in the Northwest.

Living on the coast your cars will take a hit because of all the salt air, wind, rain, ect. I know thats one reason people don't like living there.

Maybe you could look it up on google maps and take a walking tour!
KidGrind 03:36 PM 06-05-2014
I lived there and hated it.

Note: I didn’t live on an 18 acre waterfront property.

Maybe I would’ve love it. It constantly drizzled and occasionally snowed during the winter.

My friend is from east and she says it doesn’t rain like the Seattle area.

Whatever you decide I hope it makes you happy.
Lucy 07:12 PM 06-05-2014
Well, Ocean City puts a whole new spin on things!

The WA coast is VERY rainy. If it's not raining, it's socked in and gloomy. I'm sure there are clear days, but they're hit and miss.

Sorry!!! The I-5 corridor is lovely though!!
tehck_1013 09:08 PM 06-05-2014
I live in central washington now but lived along the coast for seven years. Its very different weather from the rest of the state. Eastern washington is much nicer because the mountains block most of the crap. The Northwest isn't as lucky. It does drizzle almost daily, if not rain. It is usually always windy (on the beach) and cloudy but the grey days and salt air is someting that most people get used to if not come to love. We only got snow a few winters... the others we got nothing. It is enjoyable if you can like it, but it can be mood dampening for others (like it was for me during my while teenage years) but looking back it does hold fondness to me. I can imagine the house and property can make you love it that much more.
Michelle 06:40 AM 06-06-2014
http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...urce=web%2cweb

this is the property that we were seriously considering..
I think it even has a little store but I am not sure

I think I would hate the rain
It only rains a few times a year here and we hate it even though we know we need it.. we are very active outside... softball, kayaking etc. and I think you guys are right
So, I think we will pass, may be I will look into Oregon or the northern California coast
We have family in Oregon
thanks guys
mindi1314 06:09 PM 06-06-2014
We live in Washington - west seattle area. If you dislike the rain then seriously consider not moving here. It rains and it rains a lot ! The ocean side gets even more rain plus it's windy and often dark.
We actually love the area we live in. We are hikers, campers and nature lovers so it is something we actually love. Makes our state green and lush and breathtaking ! The people here are awesome. We are very "green" and organic here. People are for the environment and healthy living.
Cost of living is high but so are wages. Typical monthly daycare rates in my area are $300-$325 per week.
Good luck in your search !
craftymissbeth 07:24 PM 06-06-2014
I've never been to Washington, but that property is gorgeous! I'm really loving that lofty thing!
Michelle 06:42 AM 06-07-2014
Originally Posted by craftymissbeth:
I've never been to Washington, but that property is gorgeous! I'm really loving that lofty thing!
I know I love the property, it is perfect
we have always wanted horses...and ocean front
my son is in Washington for a job interview this weekend and will be checking out the house today
I doubt we will do it though because of the weather but you never know
Michelle 11:25 AM 06-07-2014
Originally Posted by mindi1314:
We live in Washington - west seattle area. If you dislike the rain then seriously consider not moving here. It rains and it rains a lot ! The ocean side gets even more rain plus it's windy and often dark.
We actually love the area we live in. We are hikers, campers and nature lovers so it is something we actually love. Makes our state green and lush and breathtaking ! The people here are awesome. We are very "green" and organic here. People are for the environment and healthy living.
Cost of living is high but so are wages. Typical monthly daycare rates in my area are $300-$325 per week.
Good luck in your search !
wow!
Tags:moving
Reply Up