Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Update to the Update on Crazy Neighbor
MOM OF 4 05:05 PM 11-10-2014
So, all is calm since crazy neighbor's daughter gets her ball from our yard and tells me all about mom's unlicensed childcare (refer to prior posts)

Except her partying escapade ALL HALLOWEEN WEEKEND....

Then the suspicion she UNLATCHED our gate on Friday and let the dog out. My hubby came home, put trash cans where the gate is (we block the gate because it looks better there) and all is normal. *I* get home 1/2 hr later, notice nothing weird. NEIGHBORS get home 2 hours later, and SUDDENLY, the gate is WIDE freaking open and our cans moved....hmmm....

Then the kids accidentally hit one of those 4 square balls onto her side of the fence in the alley way between the gate to their yard and the alleyway gate where she keeps trash cans. The kids ask for it back, she snaps at them, yelling her kid will bring over. It never comes.

Then Sunday, the kids ask for the ball again since she's outside. She screams at them for their (allegedly) breaking an awning on her deck and OUR fence (which is NOT by any means even remotely broken, even the old leaning fence that came with the house, was replaced last month!) and something else they can't make out because she's going nuts and then yells at them to get off and stay off her property. They tell her "Geez, lady we just wanted a ball, we didn't touch your stuff or even go on your property other than to knock on your door..." and walked away. It is true they NEVER go over there, with the exception of going to the FRONT door and ringing a doorbell and asking for their ball back.

What the woman never realizes, is that because we cannot talk to her, I OBSERVE what she says/does when my kids had to ask for their ball. I hear it all. The kids do not leave the home unattended. UNLIKE her own children who she never really supervises, even her 8yo who is often alone....I don't think her kids broke an awning though. That's kind of a difficult thing to do, considering you have to be yay tall and pretty much ON the deck to even touch it!

Then, FF to today. I come home to take an online test. Gate is latched, trash can, I placed something in, NO PROBLEM.

I am in the middle of the test, neighbor rings my doorbell, citing that she thinks my dog will bite her kids because she's outside. Oddly, she does NOT say my dog 'got out', or 'escaped' or 'is out of your yard' or anything. Just that she's out and doesn't want her to bite her kids. I ask "Why on EARTH do you think our dog will bite your kids?" And she goes "Because she bites" I am still not knowing that the dog was let out. I am like "Um...ok" Then she says "Oh she's in the driveway" Like it was a last-minute thing! I'm THEN realizing the dog is NOT in the yard! She is ACTUALLY right AGAIN where that fence opens! She's howling, and didn't bite the neighbor's face off like I told her too.... Useless dog...pfft. LOL (Just kidding!)

So I check the latch, and it's on, check the entire 6' fence and literally CANNOT find a way that dog can get out unless she's LET out! I checked high and low not to mention, the husband and my husband actually put NEW fencing up last month. Very weird.

So I call the dog, immediately she looks at me like I have issues, and I let her in.

Mind you, it's incredibly and dangerously windy and ICE cold outside, so I let her out quickly to go potty and expected her to come right back. My shock is that I think she let my dog out and also that she thinks that I believe she's afraid my dog will bite her kids who should NOT have even remotely been outside, and she has a bi-level home where both sets of stairs are locked because of her little 3 yo, (and her unlicensed charges) with a safety gate, so I doubt she actually believes my dog would have wandered in the house and just grabbed a kid or two. I really think she's letting her out, and trying to make it so we lose our dog.

She WOULD do something like this! Remember, she's threatened her before....Countdown to May but I'm really sick of her antics! Yelling at my kids, who have done NOTHING to her....and then suspicious activity involving the dog she HATES.

I wanted to say more to her and let her have it, but she was ONCE AGAIN on her phone or pretending to be on the phone. She avoids any confrontation unless SHE is the one doing it. I am so angry right now!
Wednesday! 05:13 PM 11-10-2014
Psycho.... Put a combo lock on the gate. Like, now. I'd be afraid she would poison your dog, to be honest. The dog is only outside to potty? Or spends a lot of time outside? You may want to consider going out with your dog to be sure she hasn't dropped an anti-freeze laced steak over your fence.
Disneyfan 05:35 PM 11-10-2014
I agree with Wednesday, I was thinking too that maybe she would poison your dog. Could you set a little camera up? Even a baby monitor--If there is a window you can aim the camera at the fence. Then you can be in another room and keep an eye on the monitor?? Good luck!
Wednesday! 05:42 PM 11-10-2014
Yes! I was thinking this also! If the dog goes out only to potty, be ready with a camera before you let him out. Even if it's just your camera on your phone. Let him out, run to a convenient window, and hit record. I would call the police once you have video evidence and see if there's anything they could charge her with.
AmyKidsCo 08:08 PM 11-10-2014
ITA - change the gate lock to something she can't open, then find some way to watch it in case she tries. Crazy!!
Josiegirl 02:23 AM 11-11-2014
This woman sounds like a complete lunatic! ITA with the others so have nothing else to add except I'm sorry you're stuck with such a crazy(and potentially dangerous) neighbor!
Can you also post some kind of a sign stating any trespassers will be fined to the extent of the law? Or something like that?
Blackcat31 06:46 AM 11-11-2014
I can't help but wonder why you haven't gotten a video camera yet?

They are so inexpensive and something anyone can do...

This has been going on for so long now that it's seems silly that you haven't installed cameras to support your side of the issue.

On a side, note while I DO think your neighbor is bit cray-cray, as a neighbor myself I would have huge issues with the fact that you kids seem to throw their ball over her fence on a regular basis.

I know it happens and I know it's not being done maliciously but if you know your neighbor is going to have issues with it, I would do EVERYTHING I could to NOT play ball anywhere near her side so that the ball does not accidentally get into her yard...kwim?

Anyways, I've been following along with this saga as you've been posting and I do feel for you as I could never live that close to someone I had such a tough/unmanageable relationship with but either way....I would be installing video cameras at every angle necessary to cover my own butt and prove she is the nutso neighbor that you say she it.
craftymissbeth 07:14 AM 11-11-2014
I would stop letting your kids communicate with her altogether. Even if you are listening to the conversation, there's no reason to let your children have any contact with this psycho at all.

I'd also make a new rule: if your ball goes over to the dark side it's gone forever. Kids are kids and they could very easily be feeding into this drama by purposefully not being careful about where their ball goes. Not accusing them of anything... just throwing that out there, though.

I also agree with everyone else that your gate needs a lock on it like yesterday. Even if your neighbor is letting your dog out, if your dog gets loose and DOES get into trouble (ie biting) you will be responsible. I definitely would not want that liability and it looks like your neighbor is probably trying to get it to happen, ya know?

I feel for you. I dislike even the best of neighbors (read antisocial) so I can't even imagine having a lunatic next door.
Thriftylady 07:50 AM 11-11-2014
I hate bad neighbors. I agree with the ball, set it up so it won't likely happen. I know it isn't really fair to the kids, but sometimes we gotta do what we gotta do. I would also put a lock on the gate. One house we had, the latch on the privacy fence gate, our dog could open so we put a combo lock on the outside but didn't lock it, so the meter readers could get back there ( I tried to have the dogs in on meter days). But you would likely have to lock it, to keep her from letting them out and slipping the lock back on. I also agree with watching your dog carefully in case she tries to poison. Our dog got loose and got poisoned with rat poison a couple of years ago. The vet was quick to diagnose and treat but our dog about died over it, and the vet gave him a 50/50 chance at the time. It is a heartbreaking thing to have happen. Luckily he is fine now.
Luna 10:15 AM 11-11-2014
My sister had a terrible neighbour who poisoned every pet in her neighbourhood. Please keep your eye on your dog when she is outside, and be sure she doesn't pick up anything from the ground and eat it.
Sugar Magnolia 10:21 AM 11-11-2014
I had a neighbor give me problems once. I bought a fake security camera for $5. I mounted it so it was clearly visible to the neighbor. It flashes a red light and moves around when someone walks by (motion detector). Very convincing. Problem solved.
Maybe this could work for you too?
daycarediva 10:41 AM 11-11-2014
Originally Posted by craftymissbeth:
I would stop letting your kids communicate with her altogether. Even if you are listening to the conversation, there's no reason to let your children have any contact with this psycho at all.

I'd also make a new rule: if your ball goes over to the dark side it's gone forever. Kids are kids and they could very easily be feeding into this drama by purposefully not being careful about where their ball goes. Not accusing them of anything... just throwing that out there, though.

I also agree with everyone else that your gate needs a lock on it like yesterday. Even if your neighbor is letting your dog out, if your dog gets loose and DOES get into trouble (ie biting) you will be responsible. I definitely would not want that liability and it looks like your neighbor is probably trying to get it to happen, ya know?

I feel for you. I dislike even the best of neighbors (read antisocial) so I can't even imagine having a lunatic next door.
I agree.

I also second everyone else. Video cameras. Lock on the inside of the gate.
AuntTami 03:27 PM 11-11-2014
Originally Posted by Luna:
My sister had a terrible neighbour who poisoned every pet in her neighbourhood. Please keep your eye on your dog when she is outside, and be sure she doesn't pick up anything from the ground and eat it.
Oh my heavens! I cannot even imagine! Every single one of our immediate neighors and every house on our block and the next block except for 2 houses have at least 1 dog! Most have more! I cannot even imagine living near someone so malicious! Our dogs are "friends" with all of the neighbor dogs, and they all wander into each others yards to play. None of them(except my giant great dane because he's a wanderer) go out on chains/leashes. If they wander over here, I give them a scratch and a pet and walk them back home, and our neighbors do the same! I guess I never realized how "dog friendly" our neighborhood was! Geesh!

I would DEFINITELY be installing a lock on the INSIDE of the gate and a security camera. They're fairly inexpensive. Also, I agree that it needs to be made a point with the kids that if the ball goes over the fence, it's gone forever, so they need to be extra careful about not sending it over the fence. Do not give this crazy lady any more ammunition to continue to harass you, which means, no contact with her what. so. ever. including to get a toy back. If it goes, it's gone.

What a psycho!
Wednesday! 05:13 PM 11-11-2014
Mom of 4, what did you decide to do?
Reply Up