Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Stroller for 6?
SunflowerMama 05:02 AM 03-20-2010
So we have a great neighborhood park but it's a good hike from my home. I have a basic wagon that fits 2 and then a single push stroller that I've used when it's just my girls and one dck but in the next few weeks I will be filling up and by April 5th will have 5 dck (4 FT and 1 PT) and I'd love for us all to be able to head to the park once or twice a week.

I'm looking at one of those huge strollers that fits up to 6+ kiddos and just wondering if anyone has one or uses one or if anyone uses that rope with the handles attached for nature/neighborhood walks with the dck.

I'd love to get out but just want it to be as safe as possible.

BTW parents have all signed waivers for neighborhood walks to the park.

I'd have to save up for it but maybe something like this....
http://www.ecmdstore.com/Product/Pro...fhu=3139313438
MarinaVanessa 07:49 AM 03-20-2010
Ooh I like this idea! I was laso looking into buying something like this for my DC littles but I was looking at something thats much bigger than that stroller type. It's a buggy like this:

http://www.amazon.com/TURTLE-KIDDY-B.../dp/B000GHDR98

The problem I was thinking about besides the rediculous price tag (you can find it for $1400-$1700 on amazon) was how big and bulky it is and how much garage space it would take up. I'm also curious how easy it is to maneuver something this size up and down a street with a slight incline or up and down curbs when crossing a street and such.

Your stroller idea I had never seen before. That's awsome. It would fold up which would save space. I just don't know how I'd convince my 4+ year-olds back into a stroller. The price is way better than the one that I found too. Psht... way better. I wonder if it's easy to handle.

I tried the rope thing with the handles but unless you know for sure that none of the kids are going to let go I wouldn't trust them on a busy street. I did a practice run around the block and 2 of my DC littles kept letting go (always the 4+ onesv)

http://www.buy.com/prod/winther-win8...208318621.html

My fix? I just bought animal backpacks with the leads. Don't judge me! I get looks all of the time when I use them and comments about how kids shouldn't be on leashes "Hey lady, kids aren't dogs". My respons is always the same "I'd rather have you judge me and keep these kids safe than have a dead child." Then they just stare. I have frogs, monkeys and puppies.

http://www.amazon.com/Eddie-Bauer-Ha...9096395&sr=1-2

I take the lead off of the backpack and loop it through the rope handle then reconnect the backpack so that the harnesses are attatched to the rope lead. Kids have a little more wiggle room and I ask the first child to be the leader that way I only have to direct one child. I walk in the rear and give directions to the lead child. I feel better being able to walk them and see them rather than having to walk backwards or not be able to see them behind me. We're a choo-choo-train when we put these on. Seems to work the best. When we tried to be a wiggly worm the worm parts all wanted to wiggly in different directions. It was chaos. We went back to being a train . Just another of my quirky ideas.
Preschool/daycare teacher 05:13 PM 03-20-2010
At my old preschool, when we'd have two teachers we'd use the double strollers for the toddlers and a rope for the older (3 & up) ones for a walk around the block. But if we headed for the park, we couldn't use the strollers because of the hill we had to go up. They'd be too heavy to push up the long hill, and it would wear the teachers out too much. But we could go with the 3-5 yr olds just using the rope.They were "trained" to use the rope and knew if they let go they couldn't go. We just used a regular rope with knots in it, and instructed them to hold onto their knot.
However, at the preschool I'm at now, when we even take a walk down the drive way (it's a long paved drive), too many of them let go and run ahead. Or someone tries to hold the rope and run ahead at the same time, pulling the smaller ones down in the process. So for them, it doesn't work so well. I'd say go with a rope if you know your children will listen well, and follow instructions. They can be "trained" also, but it would take a lot of walks where it's safe (maybe around the yard?), several times and make sure they all go back inside immediately if they let go of the rope. Then try again the next day. Each time have the same consequence if they let go. But each group of children is different and some may not be trained until they're at least 4 (or that's been my experience, anyway).
originalkat 06:35 PM 03-20-2010
I have also looked at the Turtle for 4 or 6. They are VERY expensive and you couldnt take it anywhere on a field trip unless you had a trailer or something. Only good for neighborhood walks so I dont know if its worth the price.
Persephone 05:28 AM 03-21-2010
I've used a 6 seater at the daycare center I worked at before. Pretty easy to use, but I'm not sure of the age of the children you have. It starts getting pretty heavy the bigger you are, and I'm sure it has a weight limit per seat.

I used it a lot with all 1 year olds and it was really easy to use. The 2 year olds got heavier but with all 3 year olds it was hard. Maybe a new one might work nicer.

At the daycare once they were 3 they learned to walk holding hands.

Tip, I found it easier to push with the smallest kids at the top/back, plus since they are the smallest, you want them to be where you can see and deal with them easier. Plus it seemed to move better with the weight in the front more then the back.

I've also used a 4 seat one kinda like the one posted above. The two seats in the front could be turned to face you or the other way. But that one didn't have turning wheels in the front, so it was hard to turn. It also had a weight limit and was for the young children (i'm thinking like 25-30 lbs or so)
melissa ann 10:32 AM 03-21-2010
When I walk my daughter to preschool, the 3 youngest sit in a wagon and the 2 oldest have harnesses with a lead. I have gotten quite a few unkind looks/comments, but like it was said in an earlier post, I'd rather have them safe. The kids don't mind. I have the oldest, lead the way, with the 2nd oldest holding on to the leader, and I hold on the 2nd one's lead. Works well for us.
My4SunshineGirlsNY 06:54 PM 03-21-2010
That would be a good idea...I have seen these before that are very sturdy but WOW they are like $1400!!

http://www.strollers.com/Angeles-FB6400F-DO1030.html
Michael 07:49 PM 03-21-2010
A 6 seat stroller would be a problem to control unless it was used indoors on a flat surface. The thought of controlling a heavy stoller with 6 children and trying to stop on a incline is worrisome. If it were powered and had bike brakes I could see its outdoor use. There are a couple patents for:

- Infant stroller safely propelled by a DC electric motor having controlled acceleration and deceleration. -

A self-propelled motorized infant stroller powered by DC electric motors with safely controlled acceleration and deceleration. As a discrete safety function, the controlled acceleration and deceleration prevents the child occupant from lurching, either forward or backward, upon the starting or stopping of the baby carriage. A single speed control dial establishes the setting of the desired traversing speed. The propulsion system is safely controlled through the use of a set of dual handle switches that both must be simultaneously depressed to start the propulsion system. A safety seat harness is used to protect the infant occupant from sliding or climbing out of the carriage seat. Additional safety is provided by a parking brake system to prevent accidental propulsion or any unforeseen stroller movement, particularly when stopped on an inclined surface.

Sounds like a great idea but I have not been able to find one for sale yet.
Persephone 08:56 PM 03-21-2010
Originally Posted by michael:
A 6 seat stroller would be a problem to control unless it was used indoors on a flat surface. The thought of controlling a heavy stoller with 6 children and trying to stop on a incline is worrisome. If it were powered and had bike brakes I could see its outdoor use.
They have hand brakes on them like a 10-speed bike. You just squeeze and it stops.

And yeah, if your on a big hill it's going to be hard to control...but don't go down a big hill...getting back up is much harder!! LOL

I didn't have any problem controlling it, in all the years I used one.
gryntina 10:29 AM 09-22-2010
Originally Posted by My4SunshineGirlsNY:
That would be a good idea...I have seen these before that are very sturdy but WOW they are like $1400!!

I've previously owned this stroller which is great but I live where there are lots of hills. Once loaded w/6 kids it is heavy. If you live in an area w/o hills this is great. I didn't pay $1,400 for mine I purchased through Sam's Club for $900. I sold it for the same price.
TGT09 07:15 PM 09-22-2010
Originally Posted by My4SunshineGirlsNY:

I volunteered at our YMCA's daycare center and this is the one they had. It was awesome.
Abigail 08:29 PM 09-22-2010
Our center has a two seater standard stroller side-by-side. We attach a walking rope just like Jon and Kate plus 8 used for their kids with 10-12 circles for the kids to put their arm through (works better for the young ones to put it up to their elbow than asking them to hang onto it) and they each had a color so we knew exactly where each child needed to be. Helped for those who complained "So-and-so keeps stepping on me, etc....make walks a lot easier. We just attached the walking rope to the handle on the stroller and brought out a dozen kids. Usually only one would let go, but we stopped everytime until they hung on again. Our walks are slow anyways and we play I-Spy games like "I spy a red door" and they look for a red house door in the neighborhood.
cherryhill 10:04 AM 09-23-2010
Hello,
Not sure how old your kids are, but have you thought about the choo choo wagon from Step2? I know you can at least pull five kids. And the kids love it. It is being released in October.
Lilbutterflie 12:23 PM 09-23-2010
I don't know if there are any busy streets to cross, or how old your kids are; but are some of them old enough to ride a tricycle or bike with training wheels? I have 5 kids total during the day including my own, youngest 2.5. All of them but my youngest ride their bikes when we walk to the park (it's a good distance, but they never complain!). But then again my neighborhood is quiet and there are no busy streets to cross. I have them bike in front of me, with one of them being the leader, so I can see every one of them at all times. They can't travel ahead of the group, and the leader is old enough that he knows to stop at every corner and wait for me so we can look both ways together before crossing the street.
Unregistered 05:36 PM 02-01-2011
I have that stroller!! I love it, I take my daycare kids to the park everyday. I especially like that I can hang tricycles on it and toys. I even have my own folding chair I can hang on it to sit with the babies in the shade. This stroller is worth every dime. I LOVE IT!!! It even folds-up and fits in the trunk of my mini van. I've had it for 2 years and it has held up wonderfully.
Little People 03:50 AM 02-02-2011
I was telling my DH a few days ago that i wanted to buy a small riding lawn mower and add a cart to the back, but would have to figure out how to strap the kiddo's in. Last year wal mart had these small riding lawn mowers for $399 and then the carts for $99. But would still need to figure out how to seat the children safe...hummm

Could advertise on the sides and drive around all the streets
laundrymom 04:14 AM 02-02-2011
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I have that stroller!! I love it, I take my daycare kids to the park everyday. I especially like that I can hang tricycles on it and toys. I even have my own folding chair I can hang on it to sit with the babies in the shade. This stroller is worth every dime. I LOVE IT!!! It even folds-up and fits in the trunk of my mini van. I've had it for 2 years and it has held up wonderfully.
The blue one???
ninosqueridos 04:20 AM 02-02-2011
I realize this is an older thread but thought I'd chime in anyway.....I have the stroller the OP asked about from Angeles. I LOVE LOVE LOVE that stroller. I use it daily for walks. It's a little tight for 3 year olds (and taller 2 year olds)....and fits 6m-30m best. I used to have a quad stroller (foundations) which broke in less than 3 months (flimsy wheels). But this one is great and cannot go flying down a hill since as soon as you take you hands off the handle, it brakes automatically as a safety feature. Kids love it, too. Canopies are great - only the kids in the front are a little exposed to the elements (but, duh, they're in the front). In the rain, I throw a big blanket over the whole stroller and the kids say they're in a cave.
juliebug 04:24 AM 02-02-2011
Originally Posted by Little People:
I was telling my DH a few days ago that i wanted to buy a small riding lawn mower and add a cart to the back, but would have to figure out how to strap the kiddo's in. Last year wal mart had these small riding lawn mowers for $399 and then the carts for $99. But would still need to figure out how to seat the children safe...hummm

Could advertise on the sides and drive around all the streets
lol my dad bought one of those carts and gives my kids rides in the cart all the time they love it but to do it without strap for daycare kids no way. lol my daughter stood up once and scarred me!
countrymom 04:32 AM 02-02-2011
we have a riding lawn mower and dh attatches blue barrels (the ones they are in in the middle and have wheels on) and drives the kids all over the place
Little People 04:51 AM 02-02-2011
Originally Posted by countrymom:
we have a riding lawn mower and dh attatches blue barrels (the ones they are in in the middle and have wheels on) and drives the kids all over the place
YES!! I want those, I wonder where I could get some!!
Sunny Day 05:53 AM 02-02-2011
I have a really big wagon that my grandfather got somewhere. It fits at least 5 kids and pulls/turns really well--its actually harder to stop than to keep going! You could also look for one of those...it might not cost you so much.
heyhun77 08:25 AM 02-02-2011
Not sure how old your kids in care are but this is what I do with mine.

Once they turn 2 I transition them out of the stroller because walking is great exercise. I usually pair the younger kids with an older kid so they have an example to follow.

For the under 2's I have a double stroller. I only take 1 under 18 months so there are times when I only need a single stroller and times when we use the double.

For the over 2's or for shorter walks then all the kids I made my own walking rope with rings. The kids LOVE walking together and we went through 2 of the one from the catalog before I ended up just making my own. I just used those plastic dive rings and nylon cord with a sturdy knot to connect them. When they come apart we just tie them back together.

The most important part of all of this is to have a system in place that not only keep the kids safe but teaches them about safety when walking. I use a green light red light system so that they know to stop when I say red light and that they can go when I say green light. After a while the older kids caught on and now they can say it. I also use the intersections of the sidewalks as our "safety square" so they have a point of reference when we are waiting for the bus or on high traffic areas so we are set back from the vehicles.
angelpayne24 09:19 AM 02-02-2011
Originally Posted by cherryhill:
Hello,
Not sure how old your kids are, but have you thought about the choo choo wagon from Step2? I know you can at least pull five kids. And the kids love it. It is being released in October.
these look pretty cute and the price is great! thanks for the idea!
jenh171 09:44 AM 02-02-2011
The 6 child stroller just seems like it would be so heavy to push and hard to turn. Is it?
littlemonkeys 11:04 AM 02-02-2011
Originally Posted by SunflowerMama:
So we have a great neighborhood park but it's a good hike from my home. I have a basic wagon that fits 2 and then a single push stroller that I've used when it's just my girls and one dck but in the next few weeks I will be filling up and by April 5th will have 5 dck (4 FT and 1 PT) and I'd love for us all to be able to head to the park once or twice a week.

I'm looking at one of those huge strollers that fits up to 6+ kiddos and just wondering if anyone has one or uses one or if anyone uses that rope with the handles attached for nature/neighborhood walks with the dck.

I'd love to get out but just want it to be as safe as possible.

BTW parents have all signed waivers for neighborhood walks to the park.

I'd have to save up for it but maybe something like this....
http://www.ecmdstore.com/Product/Pro...fhu=3139313438
I haven't read all the responses yet, but I wanted to say I have this one but it holds four dck's. We go to the park all the time. It is sometimes very hard to push, especially when it's full. I just think of it as a better workout for me! When I had all four dck's in it the hand brake would rub on the tires and made it VERY difficult, so I had my DH remove it.

Overall, it was the best purchase I've made by far and the best part is I bought mine with my American Express points!! !
childcarebytori 11:30 AM 02-02-2011
I own a six-seat Bye Bye Buggy's and it is amazing! For walks around my neighborhood, I load all six of my children (two 3yo, one 2yo, two 1yo's and a 6-week-old) into the Buggy and I take off. I live in a neighborhood full of cul-de-sacs so I'm am constantly worried my neighbors won't see my children when they are walking. I bought two of the Buggy's on Craiglist for only $400 from a woman who closed her home-daycare, and I sold one to get the extra money to buy the infant seat that can be placed into the Buggy for my infant. When I have all six children on the Buggy, it can be a little challenging to push but you need to make sure you have the heaviest in the back and the lightest in the front for easier maneuvering. Obviously the infant needs to be closest to me so I do have her sitting the back with the biggest child, and so far this system works. I don't take it out too much in the winter because it becomes twice as heavy to push when you are shivering, but in the spring and summer we are out for a walk almost daily in our Buggy.

http://tinypic.com/r/348hh5w/7

Tags:stroller, stroller - 6 seat
Reply Up