Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>merging
hoopinglady 10:04 AM 07-30-2013
Hey there. I haven't been around here in a while...was up into the wee hours reading through threads.

I have had a pretty rough few years here in my family childcare home. In retrospect, largely because of my lack of setting strict policies and some because of bad luck, my area maybe...

Anyway, another family childcare provider contacted me in response to my CL ad saying that she thought we had similar values and she is looking to expand, this was back in February.

Now, we are making arrangements for me to join her and then to have a separate childcare space in the next month or two.

Anyone have experience with combining this way? Any helpful tips that I may have not thought of?

Her business has been really good. She has had the same families from infants, has seemingly good relationships with them and gets paid fairly well...very well compared to what I've been able to ask around here.

I have a bit of insecurity in the fact that my business has been so crappy. She has been absolutely shocked by some of my stories. Although she seems to have faith in me and admiration for me. I have a bit more experience than she does so I am bringing that to the table...

I think and hope that we can be a nice balance for one another and I think it will be cool to actually have a partner, though I'm a bit twitchy about letting go of control but I'm certain that can be worked out.
snbauser 10:09 AM 07-30-2013
BTDT. For us it was great but didn't work out for other reasons and we are still friends. My biggest piece of advice is to make sure there is some type of legal agreement on paper between the two of yuo. Although you don't expect things to happen, they do. And it is easier to address those issues now while you are getting along and you are expecting business to be good rather than trying to work through them later on. Things like are you partners or do you work for her? If partners is it a 50/50 split for tax purposes, expenses, income? If partners, who has final say on large expenses and what is considered a large expense? If the business fails, who is responsible for remaining debt and at what %? If it is a partnership, what if one wants out?
Blackcat31 10:27 AM 07-30-2013
Nice to see you back hoopinglady
hoopinglady 11:09 AM 07-30-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Nice to see you back hoopinglady

Nice to be back!! I'm looking forward to this new chapter and adventure in my career.

She organized a meet and greet cook out for myself and the families she has enrolled now. They all seem quite lovely....and they even pay her on time and stuff.

Those are some things we have talked about but haven't set anything up legally yet. I imagine we will do that these next few months before signing anything official with a new house.

Commuting to work!!! Oh me! BUT I still get to work and keep my kiddos with me and make it as a single mama so it feels like a win to me.

AND I get to have my house as a....(wait for it) HOUSE.
Reply Up