Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Child Door Locks
regandry 06:37 PM 01-21-2014
Hello! I am new here and I am hoping that someone can help. I work at a newly built church nursery and we have commercial door levers on our toddler rooms. We have been unable, so far, to find child door locks to prevent them from opening the doors. The lever style child locks that Target (and similar places) carry do not fit the commercial style door lever. I attached a pic. There isn't much clearance between the end of the handle and the door.

I have searched the internet and I am coming up short. If any of you have experience with this and can point me in the right direction, it would be very much appreciated! We really need to find a door lock to fit, as you can imagine.

Thank you.
Attached: door lever.gif (4.2 KB) 
Daycaregranny 06:53 PM 01-21-2014
I don't remember where I saw them but they have door stops that are similar to cabinets in which the door starts to open but gets stuck by a plastic clip. It isn't attached to the door knob but the door itself. Does that make sense, haha.
regandry 06:59 PM 01-21-2014
It does. I wonder what those would be called? This gives me a new thing to look for though. I think we still prefer something that would go on the lever, but I will look for this and see if it would work.

Thank you!
jenboo 08:16 PM 01-21-2014
maybe this
http://www.amazon.com/Door-Monkey-Ch...oof+door+latch

or this

http://www.amazon.com/ProGradeTM-Lev...of+door+handle
heyhun77 10:48 AM 01-22-2014
I would check with your fire marshall on this. The center i was working at had things on their doors in the younger rooms for the same reason and got cited by the fire marshall. It was considered a hazard because it added something else to get throughh in the event of a fire
melilley 10:59 AM 01-22-2014
I agree with heyhun77. It would probably be considered a fire hazard if you had the doors lock. I know in my state, we have to have door locks that anyone can open from the inside in case you or the kids need to get out in a hurry.

I have worked in centers where the kids could open the door handles that you pictured and we also had the commercial doors where you just push the big vertical handle and it would just open. We just had to keep an eye on the door and also teach the kids that only teachers and moms and dads can touch the door handles. In all my years when I worked in a center, we only had one 4 yo who had behavioral problems actually open the door and run out (it was the hallway thank goodness).
regandry 06:07 PM 01-22-2014
Thanks everyone. We will check on that. We certainly want to meet code.
TwinKristi 09:11 PM 01-22-2014
Our preschool put bells on their big front doors that lead to the streets. They also have other double stick type door chimes when people open the door. It won't prevent it but will signal you.
Tags:door lock
Reply Up