Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Wants To Rewrite New Contract
sally 01:40 PM 07-29-2013
Long story short one of my dc families has a dcg who will be going to k this year. Should have went last year but didn't so I had a contract for them and sent home a renewal since I would only have dcb ft and dcg before and after school. Dc mom comes in at pickup and hangs around for a while and finally asks if they can add a clause into the new contract in case dcg doesn't go to school this coming year. I ask her why wouldn't dcg go this year? She says well you just never know. I know that Dcg is very behind and I've tried working with her but she doesn't know what our school system says kids need to know to go to k. Of course if dcg doesn't go to school we will fall back to the previous contract or I will rewrite a new one. But I would think there should be some kind of truancy law if mom and dad keep her out of school. She could go into special ed classes or go back to preschool which they never had her attend. Doesn't it irritate you when they question or want to change the contract?
daycare 01:50 PM 07-29-2013
not to sure what the laws are in your state. How could they keep her from going again? I would look into that. Here they have to be in kinder by age 6.....My son missed the deadline last year and did not go, but this year has no choice, he is well within the age requirements.
Crystal 02:14 PM 07-29-2013
Kindergarden is not a requirement in most states. However I would question Mom, and if she feels it is due to special needs, she needs to have her assessed. 1st grade IS required so she needs to get on the ball now. If she fails to do so, I would remind her that I am a mandated reporter.
daycare 02:36 PM 07-29-2013
Originally Posted by Crystal:
Kindergarden is not a requirement in most states. However I would question Mom, and if she feels it is due to special needs, she needs to have her assessed. 1st grade IS required so she needs to get on the ball now. If she fails to do so, I would remind her that I am a mandated reporter.
ahhh good to know....I have only ever lived in CA and don't really read much about other stated education requirements.

I did know that you don't have to go to kinder in orgeon, only because my sister lives there
sally 02:41 PM 07-29-2013
Originally Posted by Crystal:
The bad thing is that if she doesn't know now what she should know for K how will she know anything for 1st grade? She turns 6 in a month and still doesn't know her ABC's, can't write them, count to 20, and basically has a lot of issues with following directions and rules.
daycare 02:48 PM 07-29-2013
Originally Posted by sally:
The bad thing is that if she doesn't know now what she should know for K how will she know anything for 1st grade? She turns 6 in a month and still doesn't know her ABC's, can't write them, count to 20, and basically has a lot of issues with following directions and rules.
so would she go to kinder or first grade?
sally 03:09 PM 07-29-2013
Originally Posted by daycare:
so would she go to kinder or first grade?
She is supposed to be going into kinder but now mom says shes not sure if they will enroll her or not. I looked on to the Iowa Gov page and it has truancy laws for children 6-16.
daycare 03:13 PM 07-29-2013
She is supposed to be going into kinder but now mom says shes not sure if they will enroll her or not. I looked on to the Iowa Gov page and it has truancy laws for children 6-16.
I would have a heart to heart with mom and tell mom what you see. That she really really needs to be in a learning environment. as we all know, really there is not too much that we can do for the kids once they pass that threshold of our front door.

So this would mean that the child HAS to go.....correct will she be 6 by the time school starts??
sally 03:52 PM 07-29-2013
I would have a heart to heart with mom and tell mom what you see. That she really really needs to be in a learning environment. as we all know, really there is not too much that we can do for the kids once they pass that threshold of our front door.

So this would mean that the child HAS to go.....correct will she be 6 by the time school starts??
She turns 6 less than a month after school starts. I try to work with her but this child refuses to pay attention and learn anything and all the parents do at home is turn on the cartoons. She is so far behind and her little brother is 2.5 and he is extremely far behind as well.
Laurel 03:58 PM 07-29-2013
In Florida (at least in my county) you don't have to send a child to kindergarten when they are 5 but when they do start school they must still start at kindergarten rather than 1st grade. I guess it is kind of like being held back a year because you can't start 1st grade until you've completed kindergarten material.

Laurel
daycare 03:58 PM 07-29-2013
She turns 6 less than a month after school starts. I try to work with her but this child refuses to pay attention and learn anything and all the parents do at home is turn on the cartoons. She is so far behind and her little brother is 2.5 and he is extremely far behind as well.
i know that it may be too late, but have you tried playing games with learning...... like hide and go seek letter A? OR fishing for the letters?? something like this?
sally 04:08 PM 07-29-2013
i know that it may be too late, but have you tried playing games with learning...... like hide and go seek letter A? OR fishing for the letters?? something like this?
I do try different things. My own dd is only 9 months older than her. We have all the fun learning games and I print off fun papers from different learning sites but she refuses to try, to sit and listen to instructions and finds every excuse she can make to not join in
daycare 05:47 PM 07-29-2013
I do try different things. My own dd is only 9 months older than her. We have all the fun learning games and I print off fun papers from different learning sites but she refuses to try, to sit and listen to instructions and finds every excuse she can make to not join in
maybe she is not able to learn while sitting?? can you maybe teach her letters and numbers through dancing or singing???

It sounds like you need to make it really fun to get her interested...

I would teach her the letter "a"....then hide letters a-h.... make a couple of letter "a"s.........when she finds a letter, you can say is that the letter "a"? or you can say that is the letter "b", lets go look for the letter "a".......maybe while you are looking for the letter "a" you can sing...

the a say aaa, the a says aaaa, every letter makes a sound the a says aaaaaa....

Learn through play is honestly the best way little kids can learn......

I would avoid ditto sheets and sit down at the table and listen type activities right now. That will come later when she has built more confidence.......

if you set her up to succeed, she will be more confident to try.......

I would also avoid sitting down doing flash cards........
2 young 2 feel this old 05:16 AM 07-30-2013
I have used the Leapfrog video series (Letter Factory and the Talking Word Factory) to introduce the alphabet to my "T.V. addicts"- not that we watch much T.V. here but if I could spark that interest it was worth it. Once the kids were interested I follow up with a game similar to Simon Says but involving the letters taped to the floor, something like that might work.
Back to your original point, it is very frustrating to have parents "request" to change their contracts. I don't know about you, but I plan my enrollment based on who is going to back to school having a parent suggest that their child was not going this close to the start of school would really kink my schedule. On the bright side, at least this request was for her to be able to stay full time and not for her to be able to eat bubble gum for lunch or something absurd
NeedaVaca 05:59 AM 07-30-2013
I might ask mom if she has considered how old she will be when she graduates? Especially if she is that far behind and gets held back another year?? Plus, I would imagine she would be much older than the rest of your DCK's. I don't know if I would be willing to continue watching her...
coolconfidentme 06:57 AM 07-30-2013
She could just be lazy.
I have a lazy parent whose 4.5 yr old DCB desperately needs to go to the Head Start program, but she failed to enroll him in time. I reminded her today to notify the school her SA children will be riding the bus from here. She asked ME when school starts. REALLY? My youngest is a 25 & in the military! I told her she has until tomorrow to enroll them online cause she missed the onsite enrollment. They start school next week & have nothing. No school clothes, shoes, book bag or pencils.
sally 07:38 AM 07-30-2013
Originally Posted by coolconfidentme:
She could just be lazy.
I have a lazy parent whose 4.5 yr old DCB desperately needs to go to the Head Start program, but she failed to enroll him in time. I reminded her today to notify the school her SA children will be riding the bus from here. She asked ME when school starts. REALLY? My youngest is a 25 & in the military! I told her she has until tomorrow to enroll them online cause she missed the onsite enrollment. They start school next week & have nothing. No school clothes, shoes, book bag or pencils.
Mom is very lazy. Our school enrollment was July 22 and 23rd. They said parents have until Aug. 1st to walk-in and enroll kids. Our school starts in 2 weeks and if she isn't sure about enrolling her and hasn't bought school supplies I'm guessing she won't be going.
Tags:contract - revisions
Reply Up