Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Niece Update
daycare 09:13 AM 07-06-2011
so I am sure a lot of you remember that I was helping my family out with an emergency situation that left me caring for my niece.

Well, my MIL finally had her evaluated... Silver was right, she does have echolalia. Not only did they get her evalutated, but the doctor was able to find them a daycare not too far from where they live that specializes in children with speical needs.

to back up a few days, last week my MIL pulled my niece from my DC becusae she was mad that I told them I really thought that there was something wrong and I documented every thing that happened during her stay here and then gave it to them at the end of the day. IT was my SIL who was the one that got mad and made my MIL take her out of my care.

I finally got the nerve to call my MIL and tell her that she's only hurting my niece by not getting her evaluated and that I felt she was being silly for not getting her checked. Especially becuase my MIL is in the medical profession and a highly known doctor...

Thanks so much for all of your support and responses with this situation..
I am sad that there is something wrong with my niece, but happy we were able to get her the help that she needs and can't wait to see her grow......
SilverSabre25 09:27 AM 07-06-2011
daycare, I am SO SO GLAD that she finally got evaluated! In some ways I'm sad that something really is wrong...but I am so very glad that they are getting her the help that she needs! I know that everything with your niece has been weighing heavily on your mind for a long time--hopefully this brings some amount of relief and weight off your shoulders. She'll be able to grow now and hopefully overcome the challenges she's been dealt. Good for you for standing up and speaking up for this little girl!! That must have been very, very hard for you, especially as it's family.

I hope you keep us updated on her progress.
laundrymom 09:43 AM 07-06-2011
I agree w silver,... I'm proud of you!!!
daycare 09:45 AM 07-06-2011
standing up to family is hard because you know you will have to see them again regardless how the situations turns out. I made everyone very angry and no one has yet said sorry that they yelled at me and called me names, but honestly, I really don't care. I had to be the voice for this child since no one else would...

and again thank you so much for all of you that responded to my post.... I would have kept it to myself if you guys did not agree that there was something wrong..
Meyou 09:51 AM 07-06-2011
I'm so glad you stood up to them for your neice's sake! Congrats on a strong backbone and standing up for a little girl who didn't have anyone else to stand up for her.
GretasLittleFriends 11:13 AM 07-06-2011
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
daycare, I am SO SO GLAD that she finally got evaluated! In some ways I'm sad that something really is wrong...but I am so very glad that they are getting her the help that she needs! I know that everything with your niece has been weighing heavily on your mind for a long time--hopefully this brings some amount of relief and weight off your shoulders. She'll be able to grow now and hopefully overcome the challenges she's been dealt. Good for you for standing up and speaking up for this little girl!! That must have been very, very hard for you, especially as it's family.

I hope you keep us updated on her progress.
What she said!! LOL

The family may or may not apologize to you. But as well you know, it's not about them, it's not about you, it's about your niece. I'm very glad to hear that she will be getting the help she needs.
Meeko 01:26 PM 07-06-2011
**Hugs Daycare and pats her on the back** !!

Good for you! I am sorry that your little niece has problems...but it's great that she will now receive the help she needs and the family can't sweep it under the rug now.

You're a true hero for this little girl. She needed a voice and you gave it to her.
Tags:relatives, working with family
Reply Up