Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Schoolagers Coming Home At Nap Time
DaycareMama 11:31 AM 09-20-2011
I love my DS but he comes home smack dab in the middle of nap time (you know just when the last kid falls asleep and the house is quiet for the first 5 mins of the day) !!!! He is nautrally loud, walks very heavy footed and troomps thru the entire house to get to his room waking my extremily light sleepers.

He already hates the fact I do daycare, if I just say "Shhh" he gets mad at me and I can't put the kids any other place then I already do. Why can't high school get out at 3 instead of 2pm? ......Ugh its only September???
Crazy8 11:34 AM 09-20-2011
Originally Posted by DaycareMama:
I love my DS but he comes home smack dab in the middle of nap time (you know just when the last kid falls asleep and the house is quiet for the first 5 mins of the day) !!!! He is nautrally loud, walks very heavy footed and troomps thru the entire house to get to his room waking my extremily light sleepers.

He already hates the fact I do daycare, if I just say "Shhh" he gets mad at me and I can't put the kids any other place then I already do. Why can't high school get out at 3 instead of 2pm? ......Ugh its only September???
OMG, this was never a problem for me until 2 weeks ago. DD is in middle school and gets out at 2pm now instead of 3:30. What a hassle!!! Fortunately she isn't too noisy, she sits quietly and does her homework but even just her coming in the front door tends to wake at least one of them (they sleep in the playroom).
boysx5 11:42 AM 09-20-2011
my older boys get home at three but all my kids nap in the basement so they don't hear them come in my issues is my boys saying when are the kids getting up I want to see them and cutting into my quiet time
laundrymom 11:45 AM 09-20-2011

Hush or be quiet, those are your choices but you will choose one. And then my hey , YOU wake Em,... YOU take them to another area and entertain them the rest of nap. Any questions?

Then the mom stare.
MyAngels 11:54 AM 09-20-2011
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
Hush or be quiet, those are your choices but you will choose one. And then my hey , YOU wake Em,... YOU take them to another area and entertain them the rest of nap. Any questions?

Then the mom stare.
This.

My kids all knew there would be heck to pay - in the form of chores and such - if they woke my sleeping daycare kids.
littlemommy 12:16 PM 09-20-2011
Can I ask why schools are getting our earlier? Is their school year longer than? I haven't heard of this happening around here
familyschoolcare 12:21 PM 09-20-2011
Originally Posted by littlemommy:
Can I ask why schools are getting our earlier? Is their school year longer than? I haven't heard of this happening around here
It also has to do with when they start. Here the elementary school that gets out at 2:00 starts at 7:55 and the middle school that gets out at 2:54 starts at 8:25
familyschoolcare 12:23 PM 09-20-2011

Can you find a way to encourage your son to stay at school for an hour and do homework, in our district the high school has a homework center for an hour after school m-th and the library is open. My son finds reasons to not come home right away he is a JR. now so does not have to check in right after school.
littlemommy 01:04 PM 09-20-2011
Originally Posted by familyschoolcare:
It also has to do with when they start. Here the elementary school that gets out at 2:00 starts at 7:55 and the middle school that gets out at 2:54 starts at 8:25
In my town it's 8-3:15. I won't run into the naptime problem for awhile tho-my oldest is only 20 months.
blessedmess8 01:43 PM 09-20-2011
All I can say is: I feel your pqin! My son is still in elementary, but is naturally loud. They get out early 1 day a week now and as much as I love my big kids, I dread that one day!
DaycareMama 03:54 PM 09-20-2011
Originally Posted by familyschoolcare:
Can you find a way to encourage your son to stay at school for an hour and do homework, in our district the high school has a homework center for an hour after school m-th and the library is open. My son finds reasons to not come home right away he is a JR. now so does not have to check in right after school.
I have begged (in a loving caring way lol) for him to stay after school and do homework. School lunches do not fill him up (and brown bagging it isn't cool i guess) so by 2 he is starving!!

School starts here at 720ish and is out at 2 for middle and high school
Crazy8 04:02 PM 09-20-2011
Originally Posted by littlemommy:

We go the usual Sept-June. For our schools a lot of it has to do with the buses. They need to stagger the hours of the schools to be able to use the buses. We have 9 elementary schools in town, half go in and come out about 45 min. before the others. Our elementary school was a later one, going 8:45-3:15 but this year DD goes to middle school and goes from 7:15-2:00pm. I hated that she had to jump right to a 90 min. earlier start time, it would have been an easier transition if she was in one of the "early" elementary schools!!!
familyschoolcare 04:07 PM 09-20-2011
I have begged (in a loving caring way lol) for him to stay after school and do homework. School lunches do not fill him up (and brown bagging it isn't cool i guess) so by 2 he is starving!!

School starts here at 720ish and is out at 2 for middle and high school
Teen-aged boys do eat a lot.
daycare 04:32 PM 09-20-2011
Both my kids get out at 2:20 from HS.
I set up my garage into a teen center.
There's space or home work , tv fridge full of food, microwave , video games and movies for after homework. They don't even come to the front door.
They go to my side gate and in the garage side door. They come in when I text them or tell them kids are up. Which is usually about 3:30....
I had to do this because during summers they drive me nuts..
DaycareMama 04:38 PM 09-20-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
There's space or home work , tv fridge full of food, microwave , video games and movies for after homework. They don't even come to the front door.
They go to my side gate and in the garage side door. They come in when I text them or tell them kids are up. Which is usually about 3:30....
Oh man that sounds like heaven!!! I have a cheesy "when I can afford my dream home list".....You can bet that a teen cave is now on that list! Boy he would LOVE that
daycare 04:42 PM 09-20-2011
I did it super cheap. Just about everything came from garage sales goodwill and craigs llist. The kids love it. I love it and it's a great place for them to learn to keep and respect. I took it away a few weeks ago when trash food wrappers where left all over the place. They have started taking better care of it. My husband even got a small AC fan out there. Will hVe to buy a small heater for winter.
familyschoolcare 05:42 PM 09-20-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
I like this idea and I night need to "steal" it
sharlan 05:54 PM 09-20-2011
I'm sorry, but your son is being rude and disrespectful to YOU! It's too bad that he doesn't like you doing daycare, but that's what you do to add to the family coffers. The same ones that house, feed, and clothe HIM. He needs to get over it until he starts paying your mortgage/rent.

My daughters, and SA's were always able to come in the front door, quietly walk past the littles sleeping on the sofa and go into the kitchen without waking anyone. I don't buy the excuse that "he's a boy".
mom2many 05:57 PM 09-20-2011
Oh I could so relate to OP on this...I'm so thankful that my S/A now get out an hour later, since they are pm readers this year!
They used to get home at 2:15 and would notoriously wake up one of the 1 year olds when they'd come in the door.
GretasLittleFriends 04:34 PM 09-21-2011
Originally Posted by blessedmess8:
All I can say is: I feel your pqin! My son is still in elementary, but is naturally loud. They get out early 1 day a week now and as much as I love my big kids, I dread that one day!
I read this thread (just now) searching for advice, as I am having a similar issue. Blessedmess8, we must live in the same school district... LOL. I dread Wednesdays!! The kids (DS7, DCB6, DCB7, DCG8, DD16) all get off the bus together at 2:15ish.

Today I came to the conclusion they will be sitting at the table and doing a structured activity together each Wednesday until 3:30. I just need to come up with a list of activities for them, as coloring or puzzles won't last the whole school year.

I had put a movie in for them, and they were to sit quietly. It worked the first week of school, last week, not so much. All but 1 DCK lost their furniture privileges. Today DD(1) only napped about an hour, and has been a beast the rest of the day.
DaycareMama 04:45 PM 09-21-2011
Oh Greta I feel for you. Thats a lot of kids coming in. I will have 4 all over the age of 9 coming in on early snow closings. They'll be here by 11:45 looking for lunch. And we get to many early closings

I did invest $10 a month into netflix and the kids all rotate who picks the next show. It gets us through nap atleast
melskids 03:14 AM 09-22-2011
all my little ones are up by the time my SA's come home....but...they still come home hyper, loud, and crazy. our bus ride is 1 hour and 10 minutes, so i totally understand why they are so figgity.

my solution? their little behinds STAY OUTSIDE for at least 15-20 minutes. they run and play and burn off some of their pent up energy before they are allowed to come inside and act like human children again...lol
Tags:interruption, interruption - sleep, nap issues
Reply Up