Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Old Should They Be For The Front Seat?
CtheLove 11:05 AM 06-04-2014
There used to be warnings in cars on the sun visor that no one should sit in the front seat till they were 12 or older, but I don't see it any more in newer cars. The CDC still says all children 12 and younger should be in the back seat. But can you enforce that with parents? Like the whole car seat thing can you be held liable if they drive off with their kid whose under 12 in the front seat and get into an accident?
SquirrellyMama 11:15 AM 06-04-2014
It isn't a law so I don't see how you could be held liable.

Kelly
melilley 11:20 AM 06-04-2014
I found this link. I don't think you would be responsible if a parent didn't follow the law (if your state even has one).
http://dmvanswers.com/questions/341/...-in-front-seat
Unregistered 11:21 AM 06-04-2014
Depends on your state law. Also are there other children on board.. if all the back seats (with belts) are taken then the biggest child can sit in front seat. Does the vehicle have a back seat? I know my son sits in the front seat of my Dads car in his booster. My Dad drives a jag and the back seat is more of a self and all carseats and boosters we own have at least a 50 percent overhang so that is not allowed.
I don't see how you would be liable. You turned over the kid to the parent so they are now responsible. It would be like the parent leaving your daycare and not putting on their own seatbelt and having an accident..would you be liable for that?
daycare_jen 11:22 AM 06-04-2014
It is law in some states. I think it was due to the danger of front airbags, but now the front airbags can be turned off in most, if not all, newer vehicles. I would check your state's law.
Annalee 11:28 AM 06-04-2014
Originally Posted by CtheLove:
There used to be warnings in cars on the sun visor that no one should sit in the front seat till they were 12 or older, but I don't see it any more in newer cars. The CDC still says all children 12 and younger should be in the back seat. But can you enforce that with parents? Like the whole car seat thing can you be held liable if they drive off with their kid whose under 12 in the front seat and get into an accident?
the explorer i have now recognizes the weight and automatically turns airbag off when my youngest, ten, sits up front. i just got it and it is 2010....didn't even know they made those. it has a sensor for the weight in passenger seat.
CraftyMom 11:37 AM 06-04-2014
Yes, it is 12 and under SHOULD not ride in the front due to air bags. However it isn't a law (not sure about every state). Like others said, most front airbags can be turned off
SquirrellyMama 11:45 AM 06-04-2014
Interesting, I didn't know some states made that a law. It looks like we live dangerously here in Iowa. Six and older can be in the front seat.

Kelly
spud912 01:58 PM 06-04-2014
My sister-in-law was just in an accident a couple of weeks ago. Our 8 year old nephew was in the front seat . He got severe burns on his face from the air bag, not to mention a broken nose and cheekbone. He was in the hospital for several days and at one point they had to put him under to check his eyes for damage (the swelling was so bad he couldn't open them). It literally looked like a bomb had gone off in his face. This was only at neighborhood speeds (so around 25-35 mph). I can't imagine what the injuries would have been at faster speeds!
daycare 02:19 PM 06-04-2014
I believe it is not just age, but height and weight.

My daughter who is 16 cant ride in the front seat. Shes not even 5ft yet and only weights 84 pounds. I was told by the fire dept that kids should not ride in the front seat until they are ready to drive themselves...

but to each their own.
Renae82 02:40 PM 06-04-2014
Originally Posted by CtheLove:
This varies by state, you should be able to check the state guidelines online. If you see this happening I suppose it's possible that you could be liable, same as if they are not using a car seat according the state law.
Where I live under 12 has to be in the back, I believe they can sit in the front IF the airbag can be turned off, many of the newer cars have this feature. Here they also have to be in a carseat/booster until age 8 regardless of height or weight.

To protect yourself maybe look up the guidelines and print them out along with an article on car seat safety (maybe get a brochure from the fire dept) and send it out with your next newsletter. There are many new guidelines parents may not be aware of anyway, such as using a rear facing car seat until age 3 or 4!
DaisyMamma 06:00 AM 06-05-2014
13 in CT and 80 lbs at least
Blackcat31 06:22 AM 06-05-2014
Originally Posted by daycare:
I believe it is not just age, but height and weight.

My daughter who is 16 cant ride in the front seat. Shes not even 5ft yet and only weights 84 pounds. I was told by the fire dept that kids should not ride in the front seat until they are ready to drive themselves...

but to each their own.
LOL! My BFF from high school is 5 ft tall (barely) and weighs only 78 lbs.

She uses a pillow wedge under her butt and a cushion behind her in the driver's seat so she can reach the pedals and see over the dash...

I tease her all the time about buying a booster seat and if she ever rides with me, I always tell her she has to ride in the back seat so I don't get ticketed.

My kids are older and we didn't have such strict rules about booster back when they were growing up but I never allowed them to ride in the front seat. Even if it was only two of us.

I simply viewed it as safer in the back seat and as a parent ANY opportunity to be safer than normal was gladly accepted.
daycare 07:48 AM 06-05-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
LOL! My BFF from high school is 5 ft tall (barely) and weighs only 78 lbs.

She uses a pillow wedge under her butt and a cushion behind her in the driver's seat so she can reach the pedals and see over the dash...

I tease her all the time about buying a booster seat and if she ever rides with me, I always tell her she has to ride in the back seat so I don't get ticketed.

My kids are older and we didn't have such strict rules about booster back when they were growing up but I never allowed them to ride in the front seat. Even if it was only two of us.

I simply viewed it as safer in the back seat and as a parent ANY opportunity to be safer than normal was gladly accepted.
lol... that is my grandmother. she is only 4'9, so when she come I tell her sorry you have to sit in the back seat because you are royalty... I think I would crush her if I told her really why. In Egypt auto laws are much different, they really don't have too many...

lol I will have to tell my daughter what you say about your friend. I do not think that she will grow much more. I don't know how I got this tall, I am taller than my father. Maybe when she gets her DL I will gift her a phone book and pillow.....
daycare 07:52 AM 06-05-2014
Originally Posted by SquirrellyMama:
Interesting, I didn't know some states made that a law. It looks like we live dangerously here in Iowa. Six and older can be in the front seat.

Kelly
If you also read the manufacturers handbook it will give you "RECOMMENDED" weight and height to be able to sit passenger.

In both of my cars, there is a scale in the seat. If you don't weight enough to set off the airbag, it does not deploy on accident. It will automatically turn it off.
Unregistered 07:56 AM 06-05-2014
While I don't drive anyhow, I am 4'9 and under 100 lbs. I do ride in the front seat though
SquirrellyMama 09:54 AM 06-05-2014
Originally Posted by daycare:
If you also read the manufacturers handbook it will give you "RECOMMENDED" weight and height to be able to sit passenger.

In both of my cars, there is a scale in the seat. If you don't weight enough to set off the airbag, it does not deploy on accident. It will automatically turn it off.
I understand there are also weight recommendations. But, they are still recommendations and not the law.

Kelly
Retired 10:05 AM 06-05-2014
I think I'm the oldest member here. I remember when I was growing no one had a care seat. In fact my mom and aunts, all brought their babies home in their arms. I remember this going on, in my area at least until the mid 70s. Then, I had my first child in the 80s and car seats were the top thing on everyone's registry. While they were a necessity, I remember once the child was school age (5, not 3) no one had them. Sometimes, children rode in the front seat. Then, the 90s came. I saw from my siblings, inlaws, and clients kids who looked way too old to be in car seats in them. I also noticed, in the 90s, there was a big thing of carrying infants in car seats everywhere. I.e. walking somewhere and carrying a car seat with the infant in it. Dropping a child off in a car seat. I think it's ridiculous that children are in car seats over the age of 6 or so. Some adults aren't 100lbs or 5ft as already mentioned. Should little people ride around in car seats? I'm very glad to be the age I am and to have grown up and raised my children in freer times. It seems like the United States is becoming more and more policed for lack of a better word.
melilley 10:16 AM 06-05-2014
The link that I previously posted has each state's requirement. Most states do not have a law on how old you have to be, some have recommendations, but it's not the law.
SillyGrl 01:50 PM 06-08-2014
There could be other factors, as well, such as working seat belts, etc.

My durango has a third row but for about a month neither of the belts worked. So, I had to move my two older boys up, one in the middle row with my two youngest, and the oldest I had to move to the front with the seat scooted as far away from the airbag as possible, and he's 11.5. It's legal, as long as all the other seats are occupied, and every law enforcement officer I passed didn't look twice.

The techs through Safe Kids say that the safest arrangement if a child *has* to be up front is the oldest child still in a harness, because the harness is more protection than a booster seat. And never a rear-facing seat unless the airbag can be turned off with a key, because sensors sometimes fail in a crash.

I think the age is 12, but my oldest is still not ready to get out of the belt positioner (he's tiny, and he sits in an incognito, he doesn't want to give it up! lol) so I'll wait until he can sit with just the belt before I am comfortable with him riding up front
Tags:car seats, safety issues, transportation issues
Reply Up